Earvana nut review

lucky13

This is my second shot trying the Earvana nut I had tried it out a few years back and again thought I would see if I could get that perfect intonation across the board we all hope for.....

First... does it give you perfect intonation across the board ? ....as far as pitch perfect: probably about as close as you can get.

Second ... Is that a good thing ? If your an acoustic player I would say absolutely don't hesitate, chording in the low end is very nice, especially if you like using lots of open string chords and inversion across the neck.....

If your a lead player and you like alot of electric style blues....not so much.....  I found that while it does Flatten things out as Earvana claims...that is about the most perfect description of why I dont like it one bit....sure every note is there but by Flattening the notes out they have also taken away the sweet spots on the instrument....

I found where as before I had installed the Earvana nut I would anticipate going into certain licks and passages on the neck for their dissonant quality and the way specific notes would play against others to create a sweet flavor and tone especially when bending notes up to other notes....with the Earvana that Magic is gone......yes probably pitch perfect notes across the board or as close as you can get, but at the loss of the Electric guitars character and sweetness.

Yes I expect there will be those that chime in and say oh I have the Earvana nut and love it, (I was one of those a few years back)...but Im suspecting those will be the novice players who spend far less intimate time with each guitar they play and with a less lead heavy toned style which is where the Earvana sucks the bag to put it short and true.

Now I know why I never hear or see pro players using the Earvana nut, unless your a Steve Vai type detail obsessed fanatic who dosn't use a natural guitar /amp tone but relies on a thinned out effects driven type of lead sound the benefits of the Earvana nut are way over hyped.....I prefer to hear the character and tone of the amp and guitar and the magic that comes from the fingers and strings created by the players style.....

Like digital the Earvana nut is a blessing and a curse, perfect pitch cool, the whole band is finally in tune....unfortunately the guitar sounds better being less than perfect...just as analogue sounds better for capturing the sound and feel of a live experience even though digital smooths it all out and makes the recording perfect (theoretically) thus the Earvana Nut.

I didn't write this to knock Earvana but to inform those contemplating it, and give a true review of the product from a tube amp, lead guitar players perspective, even though its a relatively painless experience if you just like to experiment as I do.

Which comes down to the bottom line, Warmoth without a doubt makes arguably the best necks on the planet especially if you choose the standard nut install option, they have it honed to a perfect science (or as perfect as can be expected) I say this because the sweet tone I got out of my neck before the Earvana makes me wonder why I even wanted to try it to begin with, as for pure blues heavy lead tones the Warmoth standard nut is a thing of beauty, I know because my ears tell me so....the Earvana nut....Not so much, not even close.

That's odd I don't find that to be the case. Can you give some specific examples of a double bend or whatever on what frets and strings, in addition to string guage as I have not noticed this myself. Possibly I just adjust my playing when going between normal nut guitars and the Earvana which I do like.

I am using 9 - 46 Elixirs. 

I am interested to find a broader view as a sample of one or two peoples findings is too subjective a sample I feel.

I think whether it matters or not is valid debate but .. I try not to get too abrasive on the boards but this one is probably deserved...

Playing out of tune sucks no matter what your style, tone, or taste, or instrument. That was a load of really antagonistically written tripe.

I've only got one guitar with an Earvana nut on it, and it's probably the wrong one. Should've put it on the acoustic. The things are great when you're playing a lotta cowboy chords, but otherwise? Waste of time/money. As soon as you fret a note, the thing is out of the equation. The fret forms the end point of the speaking length of the string - you really don't need a nut at all at that point, other than to keep the string in place.

If they cost $5 like most nuts do, then I'd say put 'em on everything. But, for some reason they think they're worth $40+. So, piss on 'em. I don't need the things at that price.

Cagey said:
The things are great when you're playing a lotta cowboy chords, but otherwise? Waste of time/money. As soon as you fret a note, the thing is out of the equation. The fret forms the end point of the speaking length of the string - you really don't need a nut at all at that point, other than to keep the string in place.

Don't forget that the subtle change in scale/string length affects how much tension a string is under when it's 'in tune' when played open.  That changes the tuning of the string in general, which affects the pitch even when it's fretted.  That's how the nut works - messes with the string tension to make fretted notes play closer in tune.

Now on to my experiences:  I have one on the '8ball' telecaster.  I really like how chords are more in tune, especially that barred 'Bm' chord on the second fret that we all know and love.  I don't really notice anything amiss when doing double bends and since this guitar is equipped with a bender, I do a LOT of them  :).  Yes I am an experienced guitarist with 4 released albums and hundreds of gigs under my belt.  Radio airplay as well.  Sadly, I don't hear what you mean.

I like the nut and would do it again.  YYMV.  :eek:ccasion14:

I know you're technically right, but the differences are too minor to talk about. As I said, if they were reasonably-priced, I'd put 'em on everything. Everybody plays open chords to some degree, so why not insure that they're in tune? I mean, you can definitely hear it. Things just ring nicely.

Yeah the thing a lot of people forget about it is that by moving the nut, you then have to move the saddle to put the 12th fret back into the middle of the string. So saying it's out of the equation when a note is fretted isn't quite true, because the moved saddle is still having an effect. It's no directly "in the equation", but it has changed the position of the things that still are.

If the nut is moved 1/16" towards the first fret, then the saddle is moved 1/16" towards the neck to compensate. On all frets that's obviously going to be as significant as any intonation change of that amount would be.

Jumble Jumble said:
Yeah the thing a lot of people forget about it is that by moving the nut, you then have to move the saddle to put the 12th fret back into the middle of the string. So saying it's out of the equation when a note is fretted isn't quite true, because the moved saddle is still having an effect. It's no directly "in the equation", but it has changed the position of the things that still are.

If the nut is moved 1/16" towards the first fret, then the saddle is moved 1/16" towards the neck to compensate. On all frets that's obviously going to be as significant as any intonation change of that amount would be.

Correct and though I had completely set up and intonated my guitar after installing the Earvana nut, my ear and licks I have played my whole life based mainly on Classic Rock and Blues have all been created by artist using a standard nut, thus my expectation to hear dissonance between specific notes on specific licks was left wanting.....

Not saying its a bad thing if that dosn't matter to you, but the change in tone and character was clear as night and day and speaking honestly it was not for the better, unless being in tune all over the neck trumps what I spent a lifetime working on.....I have to agree with those that say the Earvana nut fixes a problem that dosn't exist....

I have Earvana nuts on several guitars and have had for many years now. I guess my ear is just overly sensitive, but I always battle with the tuning on my G & B strings, except on my guitars with Earvana nuts. It is a lot more obvious on an acoustic, but I notice it on all of them. Cagey's right that the difference is minor enough that it probably doesn't justify any great additional expense. And, you can adjust your playing to compensate. But, I can afford the Earvana nuts, and really like being pretty much in tune across the fretboard, so they're worth it to me!

The whole sweet spot thing doesn't make any sense to me. The only reason there is a sweet spot is because the other spots are more out of tune! The comment that "the guitar sounds better being less perfect" reminds me of people that intentionally buy the most beat up road-worn piece of crap guitar they can find to give them that authentic blues sound. I get that digital is more sterile than analog, and that much of the life and nuance of a good tune is in the bends and slides, and tonal anxieties that give the resolutions that much more power. But, I'm pretty sure Robert Johnson would have gone down to the crossroads to trade that old L-1 in for a top of the line Taylor if he'd had the opportunity. And, I don't think Bukka White would have sounded any better if his guitar was any "less perfect". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc

But, if the sounds you get from using a traditional nut works better for you, who can argue with success!  :eek:ccasion14:

So I decided to write a compensated nut master who uses and writes articles on a variety of compensated nuts, because I really want to know does nut compensation change the way certain licks sound that were created using a Standard nut.

Here is the letter I wrote and am awaiting his response:

(QUOTE) Hey I installed an Earvana Nut and actually found it to alter the way specific notes played against each other, for instance bending notes into other notes before I had installed the Earvana Nut would have a certain pleasing dissonant quality as the notes came together, also unison bends no longer had that tension and release quality of Dissonance they had before I installed the Earvana Nut....is this a product of compensating the nut, that maybe it is actually detrimental for recreating certain blues licks, possibly because they were created by guys that did not have compensation...I ask because this is a topic of dispute in our compensated nut discussion. (UNQUOTE).

I bought the Earvana nut expecting the same pleasing in-tune results spoke so highly here, but I would be lying if I had not told the truth about my unexpected experience and the noticeable differences that affected the way certain licks sounded (and not for the better unfortunately).  The guitar sounded great chording especially in the open positions...it was in the leads that I was dismayed.

I didnt write my review to encourage or discourage but to note an obvious difference that may or may not be relevant to the next guy for his consideration in deciding to buy or not buy a compensated nut.

I know theoretically the sales pitch says there is no difference once you fret a note, but that would not make sense being that once you move the nut and then the saddles you have changed the way the instrument responds, or at least that is what I had noticed on certain old blues licks .....

I also wanted to find out if I had heard what I heard because of the Nut or because of something I did that may have altered the tone of these, licks, but regardless whether you agree or disagree was not the point of the review it was being honest about a very obvious difference that I did not find pleasing, and being that Warmoth cautions the buyer before purchasing a neck with an Earvan nut I wondered if maybe this wasn't something others may have also noted

But to say its too small a difference to matter sounds like someone who plays too many guitars, but when you rely on only one or two, the too small to matter becomes (It matters ALOT) especially if it changes the way you feel about playing because you no longer have the inspirational tone or response you had before.

to put things in perspective.... I also believe certain woods do affect the sound of the guitar ...something some of you mega guitar owners dispute....again a relative observation, especially if you dont spend enough time with just one guitar that you can hear every nuance of that instrument intimately in every setting your in....

I say this because anyone who argues the guitar dosn't have sweet spots unless its out of tune hasn't played each of their guitars enough or you would realize the reason you gravitate to specific guitars for specific songs is because their sweet spot is stronger for that tune....

I also note this because this site is very sterile and controlled by about 5 or 6 of the same multi builders whose opinions are more than watered down in a few area's especially where it relates to old school tone arguments......so my apologies if I find alot of the chat on here dull and boring ...as sadly....this site has become little more than ego brushing and the forum of the mediocre .....nothing matters just buy expensive woods and kiss my experience....sorry my experience was different but at least I gave the reader a true observation not a preconceived dull and lifeless "oh non of that matters" just buy more wood....

(reminds me of eating plain mashed potato's..... wheres the flavor.... I want to experience something special, if non of the details matter then why build your own guitar)...I can buy a Fender for half the price if non of it matters......

but please dont kick me off for challenging your belief system this site host my build portfolio. :toothy12:

and I intend to build many more guitars that dont matter, you can check them out here:

Strat 1: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=50.0

Strat 2: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=11714.0

Tele 3: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=23251.0

at this rate I figure to build about 10 more before I die, but they keep getting better, in spite of my silly notions.

anyway I will note the honest response of the Master luthier to the question regardless of pro or con....because I seek to really know... not be worn into believing that none of the options and details matter except for cosmetic reasons of course...

Oh....and just buy more wood.....

Man this site has gotten so ...dull.

Wow, I don't know how us not sharing the OPs opinion makes us dull.

And how does the nut effect the intonation or not of a bend as pointed out above it simply does not.

Indeed the compensated nut idea is also used by Musicman. Earvana and Musicman got in a bun fight about that documented else where around the Internet. The end result Musicman and Earvana both offer their own versions of compensated nuts.  Perhaps try telling Steve Morse, Albert Lee, Petrucci & Lukather etc they should abandon compensated nuts for classic rock and blues as playing out of tune is better and they will be able to bend better.

Sorry if I am being boring for not sharing your opinion.

lucky13 said:
I also note this because this site is very sterile and controlled by about 5 or 6 of the same multi builders whose opinions are more than watered down in a few area's especially where it relates to old school tone arguments......so my apologies if I find alot of the chat on here dull and boring ...as sadly....this site has become little more than ego brushing and the forum of the mediocre .....nothing matters just buy expensive woods and kiss my experience....sorry my experience was different but at least I gave the reader a true observation not a preconceived dull and lifeless "oh non of that matters" just buy more wood....

Wow buddy.  You really know how to make friends and influence things to be better. 

I'm a Dullard! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUKFl8KdC9g  :guitarplayer2:

But that's my secret! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zU7v5mfM1s  :guitarplayer2:

Not that this is a surprise for anyone remaining but...

There is a lot of room disagreement about whether the Earvana is 1) of practical benefit, 2) worth the money. But when you make your "review" about "people who don't share my opinion suck", which the OP very clearly did without provocation in his OP.. you shouldn't be surprised when you get grief for it. I suspect he would've been dissapointed if we hadn't responded that way.

Gee Swarfrat, your post makes so much sense that you must be one of those 5 or 6 multi builders controlling everything around here! You guys please be sure to let me know when I need to change my... opinion.  :icon_jokercolor:

Hmmm, I wonder how fan frets fit into that "less is more" theory?
devil-0060.gif

Back