Drop Top Binding Question

lkja8uatt33

Warmoth states:
"Special Drop Top binding available on Strat and Jbass bodies only. That's right, the binding follows the forearm contour and looks super custom! Expect a slightly sharper radius on the body top to accommodate the traditional binding aesthetics and because of how we build these, you must have a laminate top on your body."

So, does this mean that I can request the drop top binding on ANY body I find in the showcase that has a laminate top?
I've clicked on a few bodies that have laminate tops, but the option for binding never shows up whether the body was unfinished or finished.

Or does this mean that you can only order drop top binding if you order a body "from scratch" without being able to see what the grain will look like?
That does not appeal to me since I would probably reject 3 out of 4 bodies due to the way the grain looks.

Ideally, I would like to get a solid swamp ash body with both comfort contours and drop top binding.

They'll do it, but I think it's something you have to call to get done. It's one of those options that's not part of the showcase ordering scheme.

While you're at it, something to consider is that you don't have to have the natural wood show on the binding - you can have the top dye show through instead. For example, check out the masked binding on my Strat...

IMG_0238SM.JPG

Thanks Cagey,
Nice guitar there.
I would want a solid black binding.

Unfortunately, all the solid swamp ash bodies I ever see in the showcase that have swamp ash as the top are all chambered.
All the solid ones do no have a laminate top and therefore have rounded edges.

I'm sure I'll never see a solid swamp ash body that would have a swamp ash lam top since they only put those on chambered bodies.
They would make one for me with binding, but then I wouldn't get to see the grain until I received it and the odds are that I wouldn't like the grain.
I don't know what the solution might be  :dontknow:

Send Warmoth an email and explain them what you want, you can show them pictures of the kind of grain you'd like to see on a custom order body. Granted, they cannot reproduce exactly what they'll see in pictures, but at least they will be able to choose a piece of wood that looks close to what you want.

croquet hoop said:
Send Warmoth an email and explain them what you want, you can show them pictures of the kind of grain you'd like to see on a custom order body. Granted, they cannot reproduce exactly what they'll see in pictures, but at least they will be able to choose a piece of wood that looks close to what you want.
Thanks Croquet,
I'd probably not do that since trying to pick a similar grain would be open to a lot of interpretation on W's part. I really need to see it.
I'll probably have to settle for some maple laminate top. Wouldn't mind a birdseye top but I see those very rarely and usually are already finished.

The custom builder offers the options for unique tops (either for swamp ash or birdseye maple), so you can see the figure of the wood. And if you want something else maybe they can take a picture of the top they will select according to pictures you'd send them. That would allow you to give them your final approval before they begin building it. I'm not sure they can do it, but asking them cannot hurt.

lkja8uatt33 said:
So, does this mean that I can request the drop top binding on ANY body I find in the showcase that has a laminate top?
I've clicked on a few bodies that have laminate tops, but the option for binding never shows up whether the body was unfinished or finished.

Or does this mean that you can only order drop top binding if you order a body "from scratch" without being able to see what the grain will look like?
That does not appeal to me since I would probably reject 3 out of 4 bodies due to the way the grain looks.

Plastic binding is only for scratch builds, no showcase bodies.  Natural masked binding is for any laminate top, including bodies where plastic binding isn't an option.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Plastic binding is only for scratch builds, no showcase bodies.  Natural masked binding is for any laminate top, including bodies where plastic binding isn't an option.
In that case the project is doomed.

lkja8uatt33 said:
In that case the project is doomed.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen an option for a black accent line (paint) on Warmoth. Maybe that works for you. Although I believe it is more like a pinstripe, so not as dramatic as the plastic binding.

Also, chambered bodies are awesome, and should be considered if you haven't. I say this in consideration for sound and weight. It really brings the guitar to life in terms of volume.

First off, thanks to everyone who has tried to help with this.

A pinstripe doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather like a solid black binding, but I'd need to see the wood grain which apparently is impossible with a scratch build.
So even if I found a body with a laminate top that I liked, I still couldn't get the solid black drop top binding.
I would have thought that a solid binding could be applied to any drop top body, but I guess they have their reasons.

As for chambered bodies, that's an option I have in mind for a different project.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks again all

Jumble Jumble said:
What is the reason you can't get a unique choice top?
I'm sorry that didn't register when you mentioned that before - I probably took that to mean tops that were part of the showcase collection. My apologies.
I admit that's something I hadn't considered.

So yes, I'm looking at that now. Perhaps that is something I woud go for, but I admit it is a bit difficult for me to visualize exactly how it would turn out.
But yes, I will keep that in mind as an option, thank you.

lkja8uatt33 said:
Jumble Jumble said:
What is the reason you can't get a unique choice top?
I'm sorry that didn't register when you mentioned that before - I probably took that to mean tops that were part of the showcase collection. My apologies.
I admit that's something I hadn't considered.

So yes, I'm looking at that now. Perhaps that is something I woud go for, but I admit it is a bit difficult for me to visualize exactly how it would turn out.
But yes, I will keep that in mind as an option, thank you.

I believe the Strat builder allows you to select a unique choice top and run it through the finish and binding options.  It might help for visualization purposes, even if your body in mind isn't a Strat. 

I believe the Strat builder allows you to select a unique choice top and run it through the finish and binding options.  It might help for visualization purposes, even if your body in mind isn't a Strat.
Yes, I just found that, it does help with the visualization, thanks.

I think the drop top binding means the arm contour is a little less pronounced... Maybe not, but that was my impression. So I wouldn't think it would be an add on option for in stock pieces, but I could be wrong!

Drop top binding refers to the binding on the forearm contour of the J-Bass and Strat.  Not available on P-Bass, and unsure of availability on a Tele with forearm contour option.

Wow, y'all are makin' a simple thing so complicated! Go to the 'Body Builder', designate a chambered build, pick a 'unique choice' swamp ash top, continue through the steps of the body builder, including the 'binding option/black', and you can see what you're going to get. If you absolutely MUST have a solid body, then I guess you're SOL...seems a shame to dump a project over a solid vs. chambered body; if there's some ''advantage'' of solid over chambered construction, I'm unaware of it...BTW, the ''black line'' binding option is no longer available...too bad about THAT!   

Great Ape said:
Wow, y'all are makin' a simple thing so complicated! Go to the 'Body Builder', designate a chambered build
It does not have to be chambered; a solid body can get a binding too as long as he choses a laminate top (can be the same wood as the core).

:redflag:  Needs to be a custom order to get Drop Top Binding.
(unless there's one in the showcase)
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Type=1&Path=Stratocaster,Standard&binding=227

Can't get that done to something in the showcase.
It's a new routing job, and those are NOT the right shape to do it on.
But ...
Showcase items can get Natural / Vintage Masked Binding.

I have a Custom strat body with Black Binding and the body edge is more square. Than those normal strats in the showcase.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19269.0

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BindingOptions.aspx

Back