Drilling holes for pots and switches

jeffjozwiak

Hi,

I'm totally new to building my own instrument. I have just purchased a Gecko 5 and will need to drill the holes in the body for the pots. It's already been finished with clear gloss. Are there any tips you can offer in doing this right? Do I drill from the top, the cavity? Any advice?

Joz

My suggestion :  layout the controls in the cavity, mark the position , then drill pilot holes with the smallest bit.
Turn the bass over and use the 1/4" from the top with the pilot holes as your reference.

Then shield the cavity , install the pots and switches and rock on.

I would add that you should be using a forstner bit for drilling the main holes. They cut from the outside making a clean hole that wont give you chip-out on your finnish or the surrounding wood.

Brian

Also putting a piece of masking tape down to drill through helps keep you from mucking up the finish.  Generally that is how the pick up rings are done.  The nice part about the tape is you can mask out straight lines to use as a guide as well.  Always helps put my mind at ease when I get to that point.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
Also putting a piece of masking tape down to drill through helps keep you from mucking up the finish.  Generally that is how the pick up rings are done.  The nice part about the tape is you can mask out straight lines to use as a guide as well.  Always helps put my mind at ease when I get to that point.
Patrick

+1  :icon_thumright:

Back