Drill holes on my own?

Geez33

So I just received my black korina/flame maple body and I want to drill 3 more control holes for mini switches. Taking Brian's advice in a different topic of mine, I checked inside the control cavity to see how the 3 position switch hole was drilled. Some wood was removed in the control cavity (see picture) to allow the switch to make it all the way through the body to the top. I was wondering if it's possible to remove wood like that without a router or tools other than very basic woodworking tools.

Would drilling the holes myself be a good idea (they're 1/4")? I'm planning to use an electric drill and either a twist, brad point or spade bit; however I'm willing to take it to a professional because I really don't want to screw up the body and I'd pay to have it done right.

Thanks,
Geez

you can do it yourself.  use a brad point drill, go in from the front and take it slow.

final note - measure everything, including the spacing required between the switches and pots, 10,000 times beforehand.

mayfly said:
you can do it yourself.  use a brad point drill, go in from the front and take it slow.

final note - measure everything, including the spacing required between the switches and pots, 10,000 times beforehand.
+1, never use a twist drill bit. Use a bradpoint as mayfly suggested, or a spade bit from the front. And I usually put a bit of tape over the area for the hole to be drilled.  :eek:ccasion14:

Huge +1 to what these guys are saying.

It also helps to put a piece of wood inside the cavity, flush up against the exit point of the drill.  It'll help make sure there's no splintering when the drill punches through the backside.  You can drill straight into the extra block of wood with no worries.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably use a brad point bit and I'll definitely tape the area and use a block of wood in the back. Do you think there would be any problems with the drill angle? I guess I mean, if I don't drill directly perpendicular to the top, will the switches still fit? Also, you mentioned measuring the distance between the pots and the switches etc. is there a recommended/minimum distance pots and switches and such should be apart?

I appreciate the help, this project is going to be so much fun :toothy10:

Geez

So long as the pots and switches aren't close enough to cause electrical gremlins, it all comes down to your comfort.  Make sure there's room for the lugs/wires below and knobs/switch tips above.

Some people like closer controls, but they can be hard to use on the fly for the rest of us.  Also watch the distance from the bridge, like the standard Strat issue with the volume.

That sounds good to me, I don't plan to put them very close together, I'll probably just measure the area I have and arrange the holes so they are evenly spaced from each other. It looks like the pots and switches will be spaced a minimum of 1 inch apart. I have a Telecaster and the knobs and switches look to be closer to each other than that. Should I expect trouble or does that sound ok?

Thanks,
Geez

Back