Drill for Body and Neck - Suggestions?

Mayfly said:
FredStarter said:
My assumption was that if I get a Warmoth body and neck they make sure they fit together, and the neck holes would already be drilled. If that is incorrect, I might have to rethink things.

Your assumption is correct:  Warmoth necks and bodies are pre-drilled for the neck mounting screws.  For all other drilling needs, the craftsman will be just fine.
Thanks, minimizing drilling as a first step seems to be a good idea to me. That is why I am thinking of instead of Schaller tuners, going with Hipshot and using the no-drill option.

FredStarter said:
Mayfly said:
FredStarter said:
My assumption was that if I get a Warmoth body and neck they make sure they fit together, and the neck holes would already be drilled. If that is incorrect, I might have to rethink things.

Your assumption is correct:  Warmoth necks and bodies are pre-drilled for the neck mounting screws.  For all other drilling needs, the craftsman will be just fine.
Thanks, minimizing drilling as a first step seems to be a good idea to me. That is why I am thinking of instead of Schaller tuners, going with Hipshot and using the no-drill option.
Those Hipshot’s with the plate are awesome tuners.  I like the open gear locking version.

One more question on the drill bits: I am looking for new bits so they will not be worn out. Home Depot seems to have crap. Any suggestions on where to get good quality drill bits in 3/8 drill size which work well on guitar bodies? I don't mind buying a set if need be. Otherwise I have read that 1/16 seems to be a common size bit for drilling pickguard holes. Not sure what size bit for the stap button and output jack holes. Sorry again for asking a lot of basic questions. I have spent a good deal of time reading through old threads here but haven't found this specific information yet.

TBurst Std said:
FredStarter said:
Mayfly said:
FredStarter said:

Those Hipshot’s with the plate are awesome tuners.  I like the open gear locking version.
I wish they were from the USA, Canada or Europe, but oh well, they do look good and any opportunity to avoid drilling at this point seems desireable.

stratamania said:
Hipshot are a US brand...
True, but on their webpage for the tuners it says "Made in Korea". I think probably it depends on the item. I prefer non China/Asia, but hey sometime you just can't avoid it.

FredStarter said:
stratamania said:
True, but on their webpage for the tuners it says "Made in Korea". I think probably it depends on the item. I prefer non China/Asia, but hey sometime you just can't avoid it.

Ah okay. Perhaps the last time I bought them they were still USA. Almost impossible to source everything without going somewhat global.

stratamania said:
FredStarter said:
stratamania said:

Ah okay. Perhaps the last time I bought them they were still USA. Almost impossible to source everything without going somewhat global.
Agreed, I have one hard rule though, which many people seem to get greatly offended by, that is NO Amazon.com.

You asked about Drill bits:

Fisch Tools

another good source for all kinds of bits is McMaster-Carr

wildbill92879 said:

Fisch Tools

Thank you! I will check out both. I appreciate the suggestions.

wildbill92879 said:

Fisch Tools

So I am looking at Frisch (looks like really nice bits), an on McMaster-Carr. Geez, are there enough different types of bits to choose from? And, I am thinking for strap buttons, pickguard, tuners, etc. (meaning the normal body finishing and electronics screws), I need as small as 1/16, and probably no larger than 1/4? If so, I can't seem to find any set that has 1/16 bits. Also, the different types of bits, like Forstner, etc. Is there no place where you can find either a set, or recommended bits needed for this type of work? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

TBurst Std said:
There is no drilling you have referenced that’s requires or would benefit of Forster bits
Thanks, good to know. Looks like Stewmac might have a Frisch set that will work.

The Fisch bits are the Ferrari of bits. If you are not doing this a lot, Dewalt brad points are good for a few holes when they are new.  You can buy singles at the big boxes and they have them up the scale by 32nds from 1/16th most places around here. McMaster - Carr is a bit overwhelming in their selection. LOL , Sorry

wildbill92879 said:
The Fisch bits are the Ferrari of bits. If you are not doing this a lot, Dewalt brad points are good for a few holes when they are new.  You can buy singles at the big boxes and they have them up the scale by 32nds from 1/16th most places around here. McMaster - Carr is a bit overwhelming in their selection. LOL , Sorry
Thanks, the set of Frisch at Stewmac is about $38 and looks good. My hope is to do this long term if I don't mess up in the beginning. So, investing in better is OK with me.

TBurst Std said:
FredStarter said:

I bought the Hipshot locking tuners, though I am going to actually screw them in so that less of the beautiful walnut is covered by the tuners!  :laughing3: I won't ever need to replace them so that's not really a concern. They seem like really nice tuners, they look great  in Nickle and feel very solid. Also, they were much much lighter than the Gotoh tuners I originally purchased, which weren't even locking.

I was so impressed I decided to try their TOM for my bridge, and it looks really well-made too. I like that the intonation screws are offset from the strings so you can turn them easily with the strings still on the guitar! I was a dummy and didn't check with Warmoth first though, but fortunately they did me a solid and let me send it in halfway through the build and made sure it fit for me.

Already had drill so practice it to run on different modes,
I have DeWalt and Its perfectly work on different power modes you can check here for drill article also. 

For the small holes, like the pickguard holes, tuner screws and general hardware, I generally use a small hand drill
like this
For me I like the extra control, especially in places where a power drill is kinda overkill.

Back