Double F Hole, Bubinga Topped Thinline. (MORE Pics)

I'm looking again, and I just can't get over how nice the body woods, pup cover wood, and fingerboard wood go together. A serious winner.  :icon_thumright: again!

A few things about it so far...

First off, its light as a feather.  The neck feels like it might actully be slightly heavier than the body.  But its the light weight that I like, and part of why I like Thinlines.   

Even though its not done and needs a setup, I've strummed around on it.  Unplugged it sounds loud.  Really breathy and..  I wanna say... Soft.  Its hard to put a description of  a sound into words.  But it has some acoustic sounding aspects.  I should probably drop a fishman into it.

That Mahogany is soooo white.  I've never seen any like that before.  Its not what I expected at all.  One guy on another board (tdpri) suggested that it might be sapwood, and a good thing as its lighter and has a more snappy and poppy tone.  Which is good for telecasters.  But this is a telecaster in shape only.  That said, no complaints outa me.  Once I slathered it in tung oil it got this golden color that compliments the rest of the guitar nicely.  I should really get a pic of the back so you can see the grain.  I'd like build another with that white mahogany as the top too.  Its turned out far more pleasing than I expected when I first saw it.

I got the neck, cheap,  from Karosa's ebay store.  And while there are some really good points about his stuff, there are two glaring things that need his attention once he gets back to making necks.  For one, his nuts.  I mean the nuts on his guitar necks.  On the neck I bought for my '69 Thinline RI, they were spaced a little off.  Forgiveable.  On the I put on the Bubinga topped guitar they're spaced fine, but its really tall.  I mean, this nut is so tall it would be right at home on a square neck resonator!  A Dobro nut!  I'm not a slide guitar player.  That said, its a graphite nut and very easy to cut the string spaces.  Its just taking a while. 

One thing that I can't let slide on the Karosa neck is his tuner holes.  They're not lined up right and I have the tuners for the Low E and A strings bumping into each other, so they're crooked.  Same with the B and High E tuners.  Imagine a supermodel wearing those gas station hillbilly teeth.  Thats what I think of when I look at it.  I think I can manage some sort of fix (short of ordering a Neck from Warmoth) that might work.  And I have the tuners in a position they'll work, but still, DUDE!!!  Karosa's taking time off from his neck buisiness to deal with his son being in the hospital, and I got this neck for $70 after shipping. So I'm not gonna complain.  Everything else about the neck is absolutely stunning.  Especially the fretboard.

But my frustrations with the tuner holes aside, I still like the feel and look of the neck.  Issues with the tremendous nut size make me laugh, overcomeable and just one more conversation aspect to the guitar.

Tonite I'll do some nut work, setup, and solder.  I'll post some more pics later, sound clips when I can and eventually a youtube. 

I've got band practice, complete with new drummer auditions, this weekend.  My goal is to use this guitar.

Hey we want to see pics of this crazy neck. I read the harmony central reviews on that guy and they are brutal. How hard is it to evenly space tuner holes anyhow?

Obviously, you could plug the holes with a dowel and re-drill. Hopefully, they were close enough that the bushings will hide any weirdness. Or you could invest in GIANT BUSHINGS!

A nut that's too high is an easy fix. It's probably better than one that's almost right, because that one you're probably either going to leave alone OR lower it just a tad too much...
A nut that's too low, on the other hand, means throw and replace.

I meant to wire it up and get pics last night.  But ended up playing guitar with my daughter.  She's a riot.

But I did manage to file the nut slots down and to correct height. 

Unplugged, as its the only way I can play it right now, its loud for an electric.  Dude!  I expected this, but not so dramatic.  Wowsa.  And really smoooooth.  Me very happy. 

Tonite, if it freakin kills me, I'll wire it up and get some pics of my headstock/tuner issues. 

Vol. Knob said:
A few things about it so far...

First off, its light as a feather.  The neck feels like it might actully be slightly heavier than the body.  But its the light weight that I like, and part of why I like Thinlines.   

Even though its not done and needs a setup, I've strummed around on it.  Unplugged it sounds loud.  Really breathy and..  I wanna say... Soft.  Its hard to put a description of  a sound into words.  But it has some acoustic sounding aspects.  I should probably drop a fishman into it.

That Mahogany is soooo white.  I've never seen any like that before.  Its not what I expected at all.  One guy on another board (tdpri) suggested that it might be sapwood, and a good thing as its lighter and has a more snappy and poppy tone.  Which is good for telecasters.  But this is a telecaster in shape only.  That said, no complaints outa me.  Once I slathered it in tung oil it got this golden color that compliments the rest of the guitar nicely.  I should really get a pic of the back so you can see the grain.  I'd like build another with that white mahogany as the top too.  Its turned out far more pleasing than I expected when I first saw it.
I like the contrast between the top and the back, looks pretty sweet VK.

3241682549_293b444e0c.jpg

3242514320_b91f74d7d1.jpg

3242513468_2a8155fd04.jpg

3241683487_3173d195c7.jpg

3242517160_61e2fd5367.jpg

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Looks awesome VK, but it's missing something....hmmmm.. :icon_scratch:

An all wood FR?  Now that'd be something else.
[/quote] :laughing11:, now that's funny.... :icon_thumright:

vktele.jpg

:laughing7:

The toggle switch tip is plastic.  For now.  Until I can find a suitable replacement.

And I couldnt find any wood screws that were adequet enough to hold the neck on.  Or wood tuners... or wood strings...

Suffice to say... its done...  I'll be posting it in completed projects here in a minute.  With MP3s.  And I used it in band practice today.  3 hours worth of play, and this thing sounds amazing.

But first I'll address the tuner peg issue...  After some work, I got the tuners to be straight, sort of.  They arent exactly straight, but they arent bumping into each other anymore.

3242506763_5bc900a403.jpg

The knobs and pickup covers on that are unreal.

That has to be one of the sweetest looking Teles I've ever seen.

DangerousR6 said:
blimpo said:
The knobs and pickup covers on that are unreal.

That has to be one of the sweetest looking Teles I've ever seen.
It is puuuuuurdy, I love the contrast between the bubinga and the mahogany...

Check out mine Jim, it's not finished yet, but I'm working on it...           
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3690.0

Whoa...man, that is too sweet.

It looks like a museum piece, breathtaking...

Back