Double F Hole, Bubinga Topped Thinline. (MORE Pics)

Vol. Knob

Got it on my porch yesterday.

Fussed over what to do all last night.

Today, remembered who I was (a blonde sagitarius guitar player with ADHD) and just slathered the darn thing with Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil.  I set out on this project to build a guitar with as simple a finish as posible.  Just slathered with a little oil and left as simple and woody as possible.  For better or worse, its what I did.

I'm thrilled with how the color is coming along.  The Bubinga is a nice red.  The Mahogany has gone from white to a lovely golden brown.  Still sticky, I was rather liberal in application.  We had band practice today and I left it hanging there, stinking up the place.

Here's the front.
3224169786_60c2197b7f.jpg

The front again, pic taken with a flash.
3223311869_34291d90b0.jpg

And the back.
3224169516_12479a73b9.jpg

This is gonna be great. When you go to buy your pickups, remember: Lollarlollarlollarlollarlollarlollar.
Why no control holes?

tfarny said:
This is gonna be great. When you go to buy your pickups, remember: Lollarlollarlollarlollarlollarlollar.
Why no control holes?
He's probably gonna drill them afterwards, it's actually easier that way. Don't have to contend with finish in the holes... :glasses9:

DangerousR6 said:
tfarny said:
Why no control holes?
He's probably gonna drill them afterwards, it's actually easier that way. Don't have to contend with finish in the holes... :glasses9:

No control holes bacause Warmoth won't drill control holes on a thinline with two F holes.  Its a custom option with a price, and not in dollars. 

tfarny said:

No Lollar.  Reed James Custom pickups.  http://www.reejamescustom.com

Vintage P-90s with Alnico II and V magnets.  And Cocobolo Covers, all Cocobolo, not laminate or ply.

3226614825_d0f3ef90b6.jpg

3226614819_a6f759990f.jpg

Drilling, bolting, screwdrivering, cursing, panicing, calming down.....

Almost done.  Setup and a little wiring....  thats it...

Its been a long night....  I gotta go to bed...

3235962950_de31bb95a8.jpg

That is so sweet! And aside for the switch location, that is one of a very few guitars on this board that i would actually want for myself.

nathan a said:
That is so sweet! And aside for the switch location, that is one of a very few guitars on this board that i would actually want for myself.
+1

Looks awesome

Looks great, but how did you get it dry enough already? How many coats of oil did you use?

Regarding the switch tip...  As soon as I can find a suitable replacement it will be getting replaced.  My wife is an avid "crafter" so I'm often in craft stores, bored, but being a supportive husband.  I recall seeing a few things in the Beading sections that might work with a small amount of modification.

Regarding the switch location...  Given the size of the hole that needed to be drilled, I wanted to stay as far away from the f-hole as possible.  The upper bout wasn't an option without modifications using tools I don't have.  I too think that its a little far back, but its too late to do anything about, and its not really that bad to reach for.

Regarding dryness and number of coats...  I'm pretty sure it was dry, and I lost count of how many coats.  I slathered it in Formby's low gloss 3 to 8 times a day for several days. 

Back