First post - new build - "vintage" tele in violin finish

jebuff59

First, having already learned so much from your posts, thanks to all for sharing your expertise.
Guided in part by what I found here, have just ordered parts today for my first tele build. Been playing acoustic for many years, mostly in France, now back Stateside and ready to go for twang.
Here's the run-down for the guitar;
Solid alder body from Warmoth, top routed in the neck with the Fender humbucker size (that's the largest possible rout and will allow me to fit a standard tele neck PUP first, leaving the option to swap in a HB if ever I decide). Tummy cut and (yes, damn tradition) a forearm contour. Unfinished.
Standard tele bridge PUP rout.
PUPs: Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks fore and aft.
Bridge: Joe Barden vintage, compensated brass saddles.
Neck: solid roasted maple - shaft & fingerboard, unfinished, 1 3/4" black nut, boatneck. (I have big hands, and am used to big necks, including a 12 string) Black dots front & side. 21 frets, 6130 fat & low fret-wire to accommodate dropped tunings (open G for Keef and D for some old Jorma K & Tom Rush, slide, etc) Warmoth has a great price on the roasted, can't pass it up.
Kluson Staggered Vintage tuners in nickel - already slightly reliced to take the shine off. No string tree.
Classic wiring with a 3-way switch. Had considered a 4-way, but with the vintage stacks the PUPs are already "in series", and as a solder newbie, I want to keep things simple. Any thoughts? Wiring kit from Jaden Guitar Parts.
Thick matt black guard from Warmoth.
Dunlop straplocks - already on my straps, so I can use them with the new tele.
Control plate: 2mm thick antique bronze from euguitar music. (should go nicely with the finish, see below)
Electrosocket with switchcraft jack.
Knobs - TBD... they need to go with the finish theme. Maybe pewter sculpted top on aged black. Or a dark wood...
Will be using shielding tape, although I'm not sure it's necessary with the noisless PUPs. Just a good idea, right?
Heavy-duty 1/8" thick brass neckplate from Armadilo guitar.
Finish - With an antique violin in mind as a theme, will use Transfast water-based dyes to create a "reverse burst", dark walnut in the center and around the guard fading through brown-red into early American walnut around the edge and in areas that are typically worn... My step-daughter is an artist, and will use her burning tools to create a fine rim line about 1/4" inside the top edge, and a nice bit of scroll work at the tail on the top. Will feather the colors, but that rim-edge will look well worn in the maple color, like an antique violin. (BigDGuitars videos on YouTube are great for teaching the Transfast techniques)
Will finish with multiple coats of Tru-oil, which should add an amber tint to the vintage vibe and the look of a well worn antique.
Will keep y'all posted on progress and post photos.
Again, thanks for all the help, past and to come!

Sounds like a well-considered and attractive design. I'm looking forward to seeing that come to life!

Welcome,  interesting design.

By the way on the 4 way wiring if you check the Tele build thread in my signature below you'll find I used the same Seymour Duncan vintage stacks, it has a 4 way wiring and a boost on a push pull. There are diagrams with a few wiring ideas in the thread.

I think the 4 way is a great idea, it's not overly complicated when playing and gives some tonal variety.

A small request, can you use the standard font as that small blue is not too easy on the old eyes  :)

Stage 1 - finish - is done. Very pleased, although the original "violin burst" idea evolved into something else... "worn gunstock" or "ghost town"...

Attachments

• stain 04.jpg
    stain 04.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 33
  • stain 02.jpg
    stain 02.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 26
Pretty nifty!  I like that accent line around the border of the guitar, with the decorative device at the butt end.

Playable, still need a fine intonation check & string grooves on the nut & saddle, but here she is!

Attachments

• 20150623_162439.jpg
    20150623_162439.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20150623_162341.jpg
    20150623_162341.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20150623_162256.jpg
    20150623_162256.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 18
Nice job! I really like that accent line, and the bit of filigree at the rear.

Back