Does this need a Floyd?

DocNrock

Master Member
Here is a spare parts guitar.  In "Jackthehack's" parlance, a "sparepartsocaster."  I had all the parts lying around, including the W neck.  All I needed was the body and the double battery box. 

The body is Swamp Ash and the neck is quartersawn maple with 6100 frets.  The tuners are Gotoh and the pups are EMG 85 bridge, 81 neck (yes, it is backwards, but I love it that way).

The bridge was the centerpiece of this build.  I had ordered it for a poplar strat body that I had never ended up receiving.  It is OK, but with this thing being so much like a Charvel, I'm thinking I want a Floyd on it.  The body could be easily routed for a Floyd...the only question is whether the neck could be modified for a locking nut (Wyliee, Gregg?)

Anyway, for the time being, this is it.  It does rock, for sure!

finished.jpg

DocNrock said:
the only question is whether the neck could be modified for a locking nut (Wyliee, Gregg?)

Simple answer I believe is YES...
But Melvyn Hiscock made guitars with FLoyd without locking nut, but they were 3+3 headstock, straight line and the said "As I know the nuts would be correct, I would have no problem with it"... not exactly these words, but this is what he said, generally... He is a very experienced Luthier (made one of the most renowned books of guitar building) and looks like he doesn't have a "heavy metal approach" to the Floyd Rose in his guitar...

In another words: if you're going to abuse the Floyd, be sure to put a locking nut, if you are going to use it not very wild I guess you could try it (If it has a very nice nut), but not sure about the 6 in line headstock...

NonsenseTele said:
DocNrock said:
the only question is whether the neck could be modified for a locking nut (Wyliee, Gregg?)

Simple answer I believe is YES...
But Melvyn Hiscock made guitars with FLoyd without locking nut, but they were 3+3 headstock, straight line and the said "As I know the nuts would be correct, I would have no problem with it"... not exactly these words, but this is what he said, generally... He is a very experienced Luthier (made one of the most renowned books of guitar building) and looks like he doesn't have a "heavy metal approach" to the Floyd Rose in his guitar...

In another words: if you're going to abuse the Floyd, be sure to put a locking nut, if you are going to use it not very wild I guess you could try it (If it has a very nice nut), but not sure about the 6 in line headstock...

Thanks!  Using a Floyd is by definition abusing it.  That said, I wouldn't even consider putting on a Floyd without a locking nut.  :icon_biggrin:

Hope you like the guitar.  :icon_biggrin:

I dont think you should mess with it, Doc. It is what is, a parts-o-caster, and have fun with it. Sounds like you might be a itchen for a new project. :icon_thumright:

Brian

DocNrock said:
Not really, Max.  I have to take these responses with a grain of salt.  Some of those who said "no" hate Floyds, anyway.   :toothy12:

What is your speciality Mr Doc?? If it is Psicologism you'll know that everybody that HATES floyd are in their right mind  :toothy12:

To me strat shape = whammy bar of some kind. Does it have to be a Floyd? No. But I think since you already have a bunch of guitars with Floyds, why not let it be different?

NonsenseTele said:
DocNrock said:
Not really, Max.  I have to take these responses with a grain of salt.  Some of those who said "no" hate Floyds, anyway.   :toothy12:

What is your speciality Mr Doc?? If it is Psicologism you'll know that everybody that HATES floyd are in their right mind  :toothy12:

General surgery...what is "Psicologism?"  Sounds way too sexual for me.  :toothy12:

DocNrock said:
General surgery...what is "Psicologism?"  Sounds way too sexual for me.   :toothy12:

Didn't know the real name in englisyh and was too lazy to search, so I did a guess, thinking that you would understand, as it isn't THAT different... the real name is: psychology

NonsenseTele said:
DocNrock said:
General surgery...what is "Psicologism?"  Sounds way too sexual for me.   :toothy12:

Didn't know the real name in englisyh and was too lazy to search, so I did a guess, thinking that you would understand, as it isn't THAT different... the real name is: psychology

I thought that was probably it, but was unsure. 

Nevertheless, here is an update.  The Schaller 475 bridge sucks if you do any bending of the high E string above the 12th fret...the string comes off of its bridge roller.  That does it.  I found a local guy who will do the route for a Floyd and can do the nut prep on the neck.  Pictures will follow much later.

DocNrock said:
ildar said:
I love Floyds.

No.

Really, I'm surprised...care to elaborate?

My reply comes too late, you've made up your mind.
There's something to be said for a clean looking, unadorned and simple axe. Makes one work (play) harder to wring the music out of it, rather than having too many gadgets, fancy wiring and the like.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back