Does this need a Floyd?

DocNrock said:
And GoDrex...ummm, yeah, right.  No meat hooks here.  With your self-proclaimed guitar "luck,"  I'm surprised you didn't end up with this POS on a build.  Even you must've known better.   :icon_biggrin:

well I did have a Kahler once hahaha ;)

When it comes to non-trem type set ups I always have a TOM. I don't understand other types. Like hard tail strats - makes no sense to me. But I haven't had that many guitars to try out different bridge types. I do want to get a OFR on the next one, which will probably cost me my sanity. ;)

RLW said:
All those for $3.50. The downside was, it was in Houston. Outside. In July. 110 degrees with 200% humidity.

and you had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill, both ways... ;)

Not listening! Not listening! (with fingers in the ear)

Paul McCartney will come to Brazil in his last tour! (He shall! He shall!)

It doesn't "need" a floyd,  but it really just depends on your style and what you like. I'm not a big whammy user; I just use it subtly. I leave the wild stuff to Vai, Satriani, and EVH, but I like the feel of them, and I also like having the fine tuners....

T.L. said:
It doesn't "need" a floyd,  but it really just depends on your style and what you like. I'm not a big whammy user; I just use it subtly. I leave the wild stuff to Vai, Satriani, and EVH, but I like the feel of them, and I also like having the fine tuners....

As you say, "need" is relative.  It "needed" a Floyd.

Here is the follow up thread:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5302.15  :icon_thumright:

There's no point having the floyd if the locking nut is not used... You still lose tuning stability because of nut friction and you would need a locking tuner to help improve tuning stability, which means additional cost. With the locking nut you can just use cheap economy tuner even (costs less than 14 bucks from Stewmac) because once the clamp is down it doesn't matter what's behind the nut, and the fine tune will take care of everything else. Then you can do your Vai/Satriani stuff with it without any worries.

rahimiiii said:
There's no point having the floyd if the locking nut is not used... You still lose tuning stability because of nut friction and you would need a locking tuner to help improve tuning stability, which means additional cost. With the locking nut you can just use cheap economy tuner even (costs less than 14 bucks from Stewmac) because once the clamp is down it doesn't matter what's behind the nut, and the fine tune will take care of everything else. Then you can do your Vai/Satriani stuff with it without any worries.

It was done and I would never not use a locking nut with a Floyd.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks!

I mean nothing that I personally own "NEEDS" a floyd, except maybe that old ibanez EX1500.. but you can't say nothing needs a Floyd..

The fine tuners on my Floyds are VERY practical, and since mine don't "float", the tuning is extremely stable...

God hates people who don't have Floyds.  But it's your choice...you know, if you want to get into heaven...  But I'm not here to judge...  I do not pass judgement on your "lifestyle" choices...
:laughing7:

Actually, I can understand not spending the money and putting up with the fine-tuning, (which is quite minimal), if your style doesn't go that direction.

What I've never understood is why people bother with a tremelo to begin with if they're not going to even USE it - or it goes out of tune anyway.  If it doesn't have a bridge along the calibre of a Floyd Rose I see no point in having anything but a fixed bridge.

YES...UNEQUIVOCALLY..IT NEEDS A FLOYD!!! It SCREAMS FOR A FLOYD!!! It is an INJUSTICE FOR THAT TO NOT HAVE A FLOYD!!! IMHO... :headbang1:

2003WarmothSRVStrat3-1.jpg
1988BCRichGunslinger3.jpg
1991IbanezGunslinger5502-1.jpg
1987KramerEESC32-1.jpg

Okay...so why does it "need a Floyd"...well...quite simply...it's kind of like automobile transmissions...some people prefer the ease and simplicity of an automatic transmission (TOM, String Through, etc)...while others like the adrenaline rush of a manual transmission (the Floyd).

*** Honestly...how much fun would an automatic Dodge Viper RT12, Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 or Shelby Cobra be??? Enuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/v/yQaas5NbIlw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"

Back