Does anyone shield a tele pickgaurd?

lionfeather

So I've just put copper tape in the cavities of a tele body. Wondering if I should also put some on the back of the pickguard?
Thoughts?

Yup.  But not for the reason you think.  The main problem with fender pickguards is not EMI (hum), but rather discharge of static electricity.  If you're like me and you tend to touch the pickguard when playing, then some static electricity builds up on the 'guard.  After a time, it discharges, right into those pickup wires that are handily located right below the surface.  You get an annoying crackle when you are playing.  If you put some shielding on the underside of the pickguard where the wires run, then ground it, then the built up static electricity discharges into ground rather than the hot leads of your pickups.  Crackle gone.  BTW, the shielding can be anything from copper to aluminum foil, just as long as it does not move around and is grounded.

And how are you supposed to ground a Tele pickguard?
There are no electronics mounted to it like on a Strat.

Now that's a good question. I generally mount something in my pick guards so when that gets grounded, the pick guard is also. On a shielded stock Tele PG I would stick a ground wire to the shielding with a piece of shielding tape somewhere over a cavity or wiring channel.

Street Avenger said:

I run some aluminum tape from under the control plate to under the pickguard.

Mayfly said:
Street Avenger said:

I run some aluminum tape from under the control plate to under the pickguard.

I may try that.
I know a guy with a $3,500 Fender Custom Shop Tele, and the pickguard is not shielded. Actually produces static noise.

Back