Do yourself a favor and don't do what I did...

(reviving zombie thread) Puyallup is indeed a nice place to visit (though I have never lived there).
Just wanted to pile on and mention that my latest day job has satellite offices in Nigigoonsiminikaaning, Asubpeeschoseewagong, and Mishkosiminiziibiing (among other pronunciation delicacies!). I have to drive out to Nigigoonsiminikaaning on Monday... :)

That's cool. I imagine these are names from one or another of the First Nations tongues? I am embarrassed at how little I know about that sort of thing. TIme to pick up a damn book or something, innit?

Michigan also has some seriously screwed up pronunciations.

Lake Orion?
Armada?
Mikado?

Nope. None of them is pronounced how you just read it in your heads.

Lake OR-ee-un.
ar-MAY-duh.
my-KAY-dough.

Presque Isle and Presque Isle are both pronounced differently depending on whether you're referring to the county or the municipality.

presk-EEL is the county. With the long-i sound, it's the municipality....which is in Presque Isle the county.

Living in Puyallup is a nice place haha, and I got the privilege to tour the Warmoth factory as part of an article I wrote about the company! I'll link it if anyone is interested.

I see now, you crave the excitement of the off chance eruption, so you can have something else to worry about in an extremely low level way!
The chance of Eruption is loosely correlated with what bridge and pickup route you order. It's probably a bit lower now that variety has come to Georgia

Michigan also has some seriously screwed up pronunciations.

Lake Orion?
Armada?
Mikado?

Nope. None of them is pronounced how you just read it in your heads.

Lake OR-ee-un.
ar-MAY-duh.
my-KAY-dough.

Presque Isle and Presque Isle are both pronounced differently depending on whether you're referring to the county or the municipality.

presk-EEL is the county. With the long-i sound, it's the municipality....which is in Presque Isle the county.
That's like Lake Pend Orielle. I remembered going as a kid, but as an adult I could never find Lake Ponderay on a map.

Back