Do you humidify?

Vdawg

I keep my acoustics humidified (dry NY winters) but with my walnut Tele on the way, I was wondering how many do the same with thier  Warmoths.
Do solid bodies need it, concidering all our expensive top lams?

Living in Florida, I really dont have much problem with humidity, except for maybe too much..but my cigars seem to be doing just fine  :toothy12:

I keep a humidifier in the room with all the guitars, and tiny ones in the cases for the acoustics. I don't know how much the electrics need it, but my acoustics suffer. New England winters are real hard on them.

I have the opposite problem living in Hong Kong; too much humidity!

One good thing about an apartment <400 sq. ft. is that it's easy to air condition during our brutal summers, which last from April to October!

I had a humidifier added on to the blower of my gas furnace.

Supposedly, humidified air in the winter makes your house seem warmer. I don't know.

I did it for acoustic guitars not electric.

Try to keep it between 30 and 40%

I live in a dry climate, and do not humidify. I've had one guitar crack out in 5 places (a lower-end Ibanez) while just sitting in the stand. No other guitars of mine have cracked, and a couple of them are 17 and 18 years old.  My Takamine acoustic has never cracked in the 11 years that I have had it. It has been as dry as 25% in the room where I keep my guitars.  The acoustic guitar room at the local Guitar Center is humidified.  Perhaps I've been lucky...

I don't  - and it can drop as low as 20% here in the winter.  Summer it can get to 80% mind you.

The guitars don't seem to care.

One of my acoustics has the binding cracked in a ton of places. Not broken or falling off, just checked. And the neck heel started to lift a little, that really worried me. It doesn't do that anymore though.

Humidity is usually measured in percent of the vapour capacity of the air. While the total capacity will decrease with temperature/pressure, air at altitude can still have up to 100% relative humidity.

You need a hygrometer to calculate your humidity.  This comes close though

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/weather/tenday/10021?lswe=10021&lswa=HomePlannerForecast

I try to keep my house at above 30% humidity, using a humidifier.  This seems to work fine for the solid body electrics.  For my acoustics I put in the case, a humidifier, which is essentially a sponge, and it gets it above 40%. 

Of course, once the humidity in the house is over 50%, I no longer use a humidifier.

The thing to remember is that cold air holds less water than warm air, but humidity is relative.

so while x ppm = 80% at -10C the same x = 5% at +20C (thats just an example, don't take the numbers to heart)

The problem in the winter is that you take this cold air from outside that is nearly saturated with moisture, and heat it up inside your house, raising the potential to hold moisture without actually raising the moisture itself.  The common misconception is that your lips crack and such because its cold out side when its actually because its Dry INSIDE your house.

Getting a humidifier on your furnace is a good idea.  Or maybe even not letting the room where you keep your guitars get as warm as the other rooms in your house during the winter.  :dontknow:

No need to humidify in Taiwan.. it's plenty humid here already. RH is always above 60% without a dehumidifier. I can get it to 40% if I leave a dehumidifier on at all times which eats alot of electricity.

I think the average humidity at any given part in SC is about 90% So yes, I do humidify, by opening the window

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/home/10021?from=homelocal

I meant to post that.  But really you won't know unless you measure it.

I used to substitute teach, and one time I was a substitute band teacher.  Anywho, one of the directors was telling me that had to abandon humidfiers in the orchestral hall.  The intent to humidify the air for the sake of the instruments was negated by the fact that the HVAC system, regardless or heating or cooling, de-humidifies the air.  They could never find the right amount of HVAC and humidity.  It resulted in unnecessary mold, so no go.

Back