Do Roasted Bodies Require Finish?

Cactus Jack

Thinking of a Roasted Swamp Ash build. Rather than add finish I was thinking about burnishing the body...maybe hitting it with a bit of oil to make the grain pop a bit. Love the feel of my raw roasted necks...not hard to imagine how nice a raw body could be.

I can't imagine "burnishing" a whole body. It would take forever and a month.  Besides, Swamp Ash has a fairly open grain so without a finish it's liable to collect a helluva lotta sweat, skin oil, dirt, dead skins cells, hooker dust, etc. It'd look like hell in no time. Plus, Swamp Ash has an unusual and highly attractive color change when finished, even with just clear.

For what Warmoth charges for finishes and the quality of the results, it's a remarkable deal and false economy to pass on unless you just can't get the color/style/material you want.

I'll agree with Kevin that roasted swamp ash is dramatically improved with a clear finish. Even transparent colors are darker on it and, in my opinion, much richer looking.

Cagey said:
For what Warmoth charges for finishes and the quality of the results, it's a remarkable deal and false economy to pass on unless you just can't get the color/style/material you want.

Nothing to add.

Just quoting it because it can't be said enough.

The Aaron said:
Cagey said:

Nothing to add.

Just quoting it because it can't be said enough.

Yup, its the best finishing deal for the best quality from what I have seen. I have had high quality finishes done to unfinished bodies by a couple of finishers out there but it was more money. Depends on what your needs are. There are some things Warmoth does not do that you can get done otherwise.

Cagey said:

Honestly, for the quality Warmoth puts out, I'd be willing to forgo the warranty to get something out of the ordinary done by them if they were willing.

Sometimes, it's not just the warranty cost at risk - it's the reputation. Somebody might see the results of a poor customer choice and blame Warmoth for even making the thing. I know every time I see a "relic'd" Fender Strat hanging at GC my opinion of Fender drops another notch.

Kevin I agree, my point was merely that I have all the confidence in the world on what Warmoth does, even if my own stupidity asks them to do something well, stupid  :icon_biggrin:

But I can see the potential risk there for Warmoth.

It's a choice. Myself, I want my guitars to look like brand-spankin' new forever. Not that an old and/or well-used instrument is a Bad Thing, it's the "fake old" or "fake worn" that grinds me. You can usually see 'em from a mile away, like Sam Donaldson's toupée.

It's aesthetics. It's what guitars are about, it's what playing guitars are about and it's what music is about. 

Cactus Jack if you don't mind me asking what did you decide to do? I have it in the back of my mind to go with a raw body. My original idea was roasted swamp ash but now I am thinking about just plain Mahogany which I will burnish and then over time may coat with Tru-oil. But I like the idea of raw wood. If you did go with an unfinished roasted ash body pls give us some feedback. How do you like it, etc.

Back