Disappointed in Warmoth and myself

iamtak

Well, i'm a bit bummed out.

I just discovered that the body i received from Warmoth is not what i thought it would be.

I wanted a rear routed p bass body with a P and MM  pickups, and make something like this: http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0194060764_xl.jpg

I double checked, through email and phone, with two different parties, that the P bass pickup would sit in the same location as it would in a pickguard, allowing me to place a pickguard on the body for a more traditional p bass look than a bare rear routed body. I was warned that the controls would not fall on the same spots, so i had no controls drilled, thats fine though, i wanted more than three knobs. The rear routed body was for more space in the control area, for active preamps.

Well, the p bass pickup is not in its 'sweet spot', maybe the MM one is, and has pushed the P pickup neckwards. What ever the reason, i wont be able to place a pickguard on it, one of the things i specifically wanted. I am astonished that this happened after explicitly discussing the subject with the phone rep and a Warmoth.

Im disappointed in myself because I discovered this after I had already started finishing the body. Hopefully i can sell this build and get what i really wanted.

I guess the moral of the story is that double checking isnt enough, and be sure that what you received is 100% what you needed before you start any work (yeah, i know they tell you this... i shouldnt have trusted W's good reputation)

[/rant]
Tak

Tak

iamtak said:
Im disappointed in myself because I discovered this after I had already started finishing the body. Hopefully i can sell this build and get what i really wanted.

Oh damn...    :sad1:

Did you explain the situation to them?  Do you have documentation of the request?  Sounds like they effed up.  I guess they could say "well why didn't you check the pickguard first," but it's a frikin pickguard P bass pickup placement.  There's been millions done to date.  How can you screw that up?  Even with the custom MM I don't see why they would have had to move the P placement... 

Hey! Sorry for the bad news...

Some questions:
Which pickguard would you try to use?
The problem may be there...
Never heard of it and I'm on this forum for more than 2 years and a half... Anyway, before ANY decision you make, you SHOULD talk before with Mr Rob Rounds at Warmoth, the man who takes care of this situations... Has been more than 10 days since you bought it??

Don't be too disappointed, just means you get to build another one.  Really though, build this one and make sure to play it to be sure it is working correctly.  You might end up liking it, that is something that does happen a lot.  If not, sell it to someone that does like it and start another project.
Patrick

There's paperwork that comes in the box ALERTING you to check your specs before you alter the product. It's in an effort to protect the customer in case Warmoth does mess up. Warmoth does have a very good reputation for getting things right confirmed by the extremely low issues to sales ratio. Perfection can be claimed by no one, no matter the reputation.

If you want to continue the issue of fault discussion, please contact Warmoth directly at sales@warmoth.com.  Thank you.

I just compared the distance from the neck pocket to the pickup on my '50s reissue P bass with the distance on this body and they're very obviously off. I just pulled out the ruler, they're one inch apart.

http://www.wowranch.com/images/PBass.jpg one just like this. Looks like the pickup is in the normal spot, right?
Yes, its a Fender, not warmoth guard, and its one of the anodized aluminum ones. Are those cut any differently?

Could someone with a Warmoth p bass please measure the distance from the neck pocket to the pickup? Im getting 2&6/8" on the W route, and 3&6/8" on the Fender (67mm and 94mm, respectively). Im curious if the rear routed bodies are all cut the same way.

I have no pics of the offending body, i lack a camera. Otherwise, i would have been keeping you folks abreast of my progress. The body is far from offensive, its nice walnut, it starting to look really amazing with the linseed oil finish im putting on there. I am sure this bass is going to be a superb instrument regardless.

Ongolman has a beautiful J bass: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3331879681_31217fba89.jpg If my bass can look half that good I will be stoked. I really like the bound and blocked neck on that bass... i might just have to try that.

Tak

So... I'm sure this isn't your first choice,  but you could make another pickup route if you have access to a router and all. The pickguard will cover it up, and you will have the option of two different mounting positions of the pickup.

A possibility is that the 50s reissue has slightly different specs than modern Fenders, which would cause a problem.

Max said:
So... I'm sure this isn't your first choice,  but you could make another pickup route if you have access to a router and all. The pickguard will cover it up, and you will have the option of two different mounting positions of the pickup.

A possibility is that the 50s reissue has slightly different specs than modern Fenders, which would cause a problem.

Another less scary possibility is getting a P pickguard without the pickup hole, then cut your own.

Before doing anything else, I would strongly suggesting contacting Rob.  Remember this is the weekend, so Warmoth is closed right now. 

Another less scary possibility is getting a P pickguard without the pickup hole, then cut your own.

I thought about this. Im not 100% sure, but i think the part of the pickguard on the bridge side edges into the MM route, could be interesting looking.

Come monday i'll give the warmoth guys a holler.

Back