Direct mounted pickups, how do you install that?

ventolino

As subject,
which is the most effective way to install direct mounted humbucking pickups?
I mean, do you use washers, foam, springs or what to make setup easier ?
Thanks.

"Foam under pickup plate and screw through tubing?"

That would work; if you use the harder foam that typically comes as PU packaging you don't necessarily need the tubing; helps to drill pilot holes before installing screws.

For some PU's with high-waisted* tabs it helps to pick up some of the ONE-AND-A -QUARTER inch screws that come with DiMarzio P-bass installations. DiMarzio sells them direct (1-800-221-6468) or you can get them on Ebay from Musicpartsplus1, search for "bass pickup screws" or the like. DiMarzio has the cool black, & gold ones, though, stock #FH1500BK & FH1500G. Even a good hardware store has trouble coming up with screws that skinny longer than 1", and that extra 1/4" is handy. You can use shorter screws by gluing little chunks of stuff in the bottom of the holes, but it's aesthetically more pleasing to
just get the right screws.

*(OK smartypoops, YOU name 'em :icon_tongue:)

Also Warmoth sells those screws (if i'm right)
http://www.warmoth.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=25266

ventolino said:
Also Warmoth sells those screws (if i'm right)
http://www.warmoth.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=25266

I used these screws for direct mounting of a humbucker. They were small enough in diameter to not damage the existing threads of the humbucker pickup tabs. They are almost long enough to go through to the back of the body if the conditions are just right, so watch out for that. I used the black ones (the lengths slightly vary between colors).

If your gonna use rubber tube and foam what's the point? Direct mounting is suposed to be just that, direct. The idea being for all the vibes in the wood to transfer to the pickup, I have two guitars this way, I can't explain why it sounds diferent , but it does.

Alfang said:
If your gonna use rubber tube and foam what's the point? Direct mounting is suposed to be just that, direct. The idea being for all the vibes in the wood to transfer to the pickup, I have two guitars this way, I can't explain why it sounds diferent , but it does.

I think the main point is that there are alternatives. Shim up to the required height, use foam and tubing to retain height adjustability or simply screw'em to the wood. Direct mounting or for that matter, pickguard or plate mounting is only a means of getting what works for you.

willyk said:
Alfang said:

I think the main point is that there are alternatives. Shim up to the required height, use foam and tubing to retain height adjustability or simply screw'em to the wood. Direct mounting or for that matter, pickguard or plate mounting is only a means of getting what works for you.

My point in asking whats the point, is that direct mounting is a pain in the butt, compared to pickguard mounting, or bezel mounting, so if your gonna go through all the trouble, might as well be bolted or screwed directly to solid wood, You might as well reap the benefits of doing so.

If your gonna use rubber tubes as shock absorbers, you defeat the purpose, you might as well mount it to a pickguard, I'm just saying I wouldn't choose a pickup mounting method just because it's an alternate way to do it, I wanna do it for a reason, weather it's for sound, or ease of installation

Alfang said:
willyk said:
Alfang said:

My point in asking whats the point, is that direct mounting is a pain in the butt, compared to pickguard mounting, or bezel mounting, so if your gonna go through all the trouble, might as well be bolted or screwed directly to solid wood, You might as well reap the benefits of doing so.

If your gonna use rubber tubes as shock absorbers, you defeat the purpose, you might as well mount it to a pickguard, I'm just saying I wouldn't choose a pickup mounting method just because it's an alternate way to do it, I wanna do it for a reason, weather it's for sound, or ease of installation

Never tried direct mounted PU guitar but i think there must be a difference so i decided to try this way.
I must agree with you about the point of direct mounted to wood and not suspended in several ways (springs or tubing or other suspension system).
I think it sounds different because pickup doesn't move or twist; when you move your guitar, with direct mounted to wood, pickup is solidal with guitar body so the string vibration is completely transferred to a firm pickup.
Think it's like those physics applied by hi-fi purists on speaker mounting, so, if support is not free to vibrate, the sound is completely transferred by the speaker itself and not dissipated by any vibration.
All these phisics, IMHO, tend to make very subtle differences in sound but difference must exhist.
Hope you understand my thoughts  :icon_biggrin:

People have a tendency to believe that there is a difference in sound, because they think they have a reason to hear a difference in sound; a few authorities believe that direct mounting doesn't actually improve anything (looks cool though). To make two identical guitars, with identical pickups, one with direct mount, one with ring-mounted, then subject them to oscilloscopes and frequency analysis - maybe next week?  :icon_biggrin:

A pickup "creates" a magnetic field above it which the string floats through, the resulting electrical signal is all that's transmitted. Being "microphonic" is a separate issue, though of course there have been pickups which were both microphonic AND sounded OK - perhaps leading to some causal misperceptions. What kinds of stage maneuvers are you performing which actually cause your pickups to bounce and flex in their rings so as to alter the magnetic fields above them?  :eek:

I think i'll end mounting my pickups like this version  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

Attachments

• DSC09497.jpg
    DSC09497.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 895
Well that's direct!
But use black tape for a darker sound, yellow tape for a brighter sound or two bits of tape for a stereo sound. :laughing7: :toothy10: :laughing7:

SchmoopY said:
the tape help transfer vibration for a clearer more banjoesk sound.

You use clear tape for a clear sound Schmoop. For a banjo sound you first scrape the tape down a blackboard. :guitarplayer2:

I prefer to only route the cavity to the actual needed depth.

Any further puts you in the situation of needing to adjust the height, but with careful planning, & proper measuring, you can mount firmly to wood with no need to adjust the height.

Back