Dimarzio EP1111 switch broken...?

JonatanOTG

Hi!  :)

I've run into a problem with my otherwise nice warmoth-strat. Two humbuckers wired to a Dimarzio EP1111 3-way switch a la Petrucci-style, meaning 1) neck 2) one coil of each in series 3) bridge.

When working properly, it's killer. But every now and then one of the pickups just went quiet. At first it was just the neck pickup and just temporarily (back & forth, sometimes just as I flicked the switch a couple of times). I decided to re-solder the wires and after that it worked fine. For a while. Now it's the same problem and worse, I actually had a gig some time ago where I had to finish a heavily distorted rock song playing only on the neck pickup due to a suddenly dead bridge pu...

Clearly, now it's unbearable and I would like to fix it! So I wonder if anyone else has experience with the EP1111 switch? Any problems? I remember a luthier I talked to who said that it's a nice switch but you never know how long they'll last.

As I said, it's been a bit back and forth but right now the I have only got sound from the 1) neck -position. Though, I can actually hear some sound from the 2) & 3) -positions as well but reaaally low. Like 1% and only noticed with loads af gain.

I've excluded the possibility that the pickups themselves are broken due to that I first had problems with the neck, but now it's the bridge pickup. Other than that, I don't really know.

Any tips?

dimarzioep1111.jpg

It might be you have one that has a lower shelf life than they usually have but I doubt any of us will have used such a switch enough times to say for sure. I've never used it personally.

This is going to sound probably too simple. Replace the switch...

Seems to be the only thing to do then, replacing it. Will try to get a hold of a new expensive rascal and return with a report!

When I think about it, I haven't seen it on many guitars other than my own and the Petrucci guy's. Strange, it's really a nice switch. Well, when it works I probably should add...

Yes! Finally managed to get my hands on a new switch, and after a few hours of installation the story ends on the bright side! Works perfect again! I'm so glad :)

Funny thing, I actually got the switch from a guy who was buying a pedal from me. As we discussed the price of the pedal he asked me if I was interested in a EP1111-switch, new in box since he had bought 2 and only used 1. I was chocked, but happy!

And now my strat is finally playable again, rehearsed with it yesterday and doing a gig today. Feels great!

Thanks for the advice  :icon_biggrin:

Back