different kind of finishes (gloss)

Matthieu S

Hello,

I'm from France, and  trying to build my Telecaster  :glasses9:

last month, my friend got his jazz-bass from Warmoth, a nice sonic blue color, but in my opinion, the finish (gloss) is too modern

is it possible to order a painted body, with a vintage finish ?

thank you for your help :)

No; Warmoth only offers the poly gloss finishes as you saw on that guitar. If you want a "vintage" looking lacquer finish you'll have to order an unfinished body and do it yourself, or have someone locally do it for you.

I asked Warmoth today about finishes, and this is the answer:

"We also offer a vintage tint gloss, that is a clear gloss with a yellowing agent to make it look older"

but I don't see where choosing this option  :sad1:

That's a finish option for necks; you could probably get them to finish a body the same way, but it's still going to be a polyurethane gloss finish that will look similar to what you saw on your friend's Jazz Bass, rather than a thinner more "vintage-like" nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

If that's not something you are comfortable with doing yourself, you could check with local guitar repair shops/luthiers where ever you are in France, or maybe even someone who finishes/refinishes cabinetry or furniture to do the job for you.....

Look under transparent body finishes and you'll see vintage tint as an option.

-Eric.

I think he means a finish that looks a bit faded and not brand new looking, like when lacquer starts to yellow, not a vintage tinted clear color.

hello

thank you for your answers !

well, I've checked my mails, and the question I asked to JC was: "Do you have different finishes for body" he told me yes, and I saw it in the painting parts/clear  but I don't kwow if clear satin is avaiable on painted body (a vintage white for example)

I've already a Telecaster/Duesenberg (you can see here www.myspace.com/matthieusaque) and the body, which is a Duesenberg, is pretty new, but the finish is not like mirror

So trying to build a old Telecaster with a modern mirror finish is not very compatible :)

i've already thought to finish the body by a local luthier (I don't know the english world) but Warmoth doesn't send a painted body without finish :(

Well, I think I'm gonna leave the idea to get a vintage finish on a painted body, and take a natural body (with laminate top) and a vintage satin finish :)

thank you again for your help,

matthieu

I'm not sure what is meant by a "vintage finish" so maybe my question is just double tracking what has already been answered.  But does anybody know if Warmoth would do a satin finish on anything other than clear.  I'm thinking either amber or yellow dye but I'd prefer a satin clear coat instead of the gloss.  I sent an email to Warmoth but they're proving to be unreliable at answering mail.  2nd email unanswered. Again, sorry if that question has already been answered above.

Jtroska, Warmoth receives hundreds of emails a day.  Sales responds as fast as possible.  How long ago did you send the emails?  Bear in mind the office is open 9-5 Pacific time.

The only satin finish option on a body is clear satin.  Black satin used to be an option but is nearly impossible to touch up without turning it in to gloss black.  The same goes for other colors.

-Eric.

I didn't realize gloss was easier to touch up.  That's good to know.  The only thing I don't like about gloss is it seems impossible to keep nice.  As soon as you pick it up, it's covered in fingerprints.  And little hair scratches draw attention to themselves.  But I did have one very high quality gloss finish from Wilkins Guitar Finishes that held up great.  Very tough.  Still isn't scratched.  So it is possible if the the paint is high quality.  But the gloss finish on typical cheap guitars looks aweful in no time.  From what I've read here, the Warmoth paints are pretty good.  But I haven't seen one in person.

jtroska said:
I didn't realize gloss was easier to touch up.  That's good to know.  The only thing I don't like about gloss is it seems impossible to keep nice.  As soon as you pick it up, it's covered in fingerprints.  And little hair scratches draw attention to themselves.  But I did have one very high quality gloss finish from Wilkins Guitar Finishes that held up great.  Very tough.  Still isn't scratched.  So it is possible if the the paint is high quality.  But the gloss finish on typical cheap guitars looks aweful in no time.  From what I've read here, the Warmoth paints are pretty good.  But I haven't seen one in person.

Warmoth finished bodies are more than pretty good, but then they're not "typical cheap guitars" either. The only way you can avoid hair scratches and fingerprints is to put it in a glass case and don't play it. They are instruments to be handled and played to make music so just wipe them down and don't focus on the look. Guitars are like people...it's all about how they're made not how they're dressed.

I can't say how much I agree with Willyk! There is a reason that "relic'ed" guitars are so popular, they look like they have been played!  But the satisfaction of putting all those scratches and dents on there yourself is in my mind soooo much better than buying it that way.  However,  my Warmoth body, which I purchased with a finish done by them, seems to be exceedingly resistant to the little scratches and scrapes that are common to lesser finishes.  Granted I haven't had it that long, but really, I think it is going to take a good deal of work on my part to beat this thing up!

A polyurethane finish is going to take a lot more shit than the vintage nitrocellulose finishes did. Don't expect your guitar to look like SRV tossed it off stage anytime soon.

Back