Diameter of gotoh studs

justsomeguy1

https://warmoth.com/index.php/wilkinson-stud

Wondering if anyone knows the exact diameter of these studs/inserts. Unsure of proper term. The part that gets fitted into the body.

I know the website says to use 3/8" drill bit. Bought a different Wilkinson bridge that is supposed to be a drop in replacement for a Gotoh 510, which it is. But the angle of the area where the knife edge sits is greater on the studs that shipped with my new bridge, and hoping I can install them instead. Diameter is 9mm for the new inserts though so I'm thinking I'm out of luck.

Which Wilkinson bridge have you bought?

If it is the one with the locking saddles the inserts are a bigger diameter. If you already have the Gotoh studs installed just use those.

stratamania said:
Which Wilkinson bridge have you bought?

If it is the one with the locking saddles the inserts are a bigger diameter. If you already have the Gotoh studs installed just use those.

It is indeed that Wilkinson. However it would be the other way around I would think. The studs that came with my bridge is 9mm. The Gotoh inserts that came installed in my body is supposedly drilled for 3/8" which is about 8.5mm. However when I set my calipers to the diameter of the 9mm Wilkinson bridge inserts and hold it against the inserts installed in the body, the calipers seem to be slightly larger if anything.

Indeed which is what I said the holes in the body for the Gotoh Wilkinson are smaller than the studs and posts that come with the Wilkinson WVS1302P (which is not made by Gotoh).

As it turns out I documented the fitting of one of these yesterday and there are more details in the post below.

The Mystical Mahogany Build...Trem details

stratamania said:
Indeed which is what I said the holes in the body for the Gotoh Wilkinson are smaller than the studs and posts that come with the Wilkinson WVS1302P (which is not made by Gotoh).

As it turns out I documented the fitting of one of these yesterday and there are more details in the post below.

The Mystical Mahogany Build...Trem details

I mis-typed. The Warmoth Gotoh studs are drilled to 3/8", which is approximately 9.5mm, so the Wilkinson locking bridge inserts would be smaller.

My concern is that the stud ramp angle (if that makes sense) is narrower on the Warmoth Gotoh studs, and I won't have the same range of motion with the trem system than if I were using the studs/inserts that came with the bridge. Only time will tell.

Good info in your build log, skimmed it over morning coffee and will read it more thoroughly. Thanks.

With these kinds of Q's I always contact the manufacturer.  the Gotoh people are very responsive.  I always address the email ... Dear Gotoh-san,
I was wondering what are the dimensions of ....  and they write back to me.  Just go to their website.  Edit: (If Gotoh does not make it, then ask whoever does, and if you are real lucky maybe some kind soul in this forum will take some measurements).

If you want to know the diameter for the Wilkinson WVS1302P there is no point contacting Gotoh as they do not manufacture this tremolo. I could measure them at some point but as I mentioned in the link I provided earlier the solution to using this tremolo with a Warmoth body at this time is to use the Gotoh Wilkinson studs.

My concern is that the stud ramp angle (if that makes sense) is narrower on the Warmoth Gotoh studs, and I won't have the same range of motion with the trem system than if I were using the studs/inserts that came with the bridge. Only time will tell.

At some point for academic purposes when I next go to my attic I will pull out my digital calipers and check what is smaller or larger.

The angle you are talking about on the posts versus the Gotoh Wilkinson posts is nothing to be concerned about really. The tremolo once seated in the posts pivots as it should.

The tremolo on the Gotoh Wilkinson studs I have just tested fully and has a full and free range of unimpeded smooth motion. In fact you will find your tremolo block will hit the back of the body. This also happens with the Gotoh 510.

Here is a video of someone who fitted one to his Suhr and it can be seen that he is using the original Gotoh Wilkinson studs. He obtained it from Suhr who did not send him any new studs so you can see in the video it works fine.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sv_Wj79Cms[/youtube]

Back