Deluxe 5 Bass Body Blanks

Auriaprottu

It would really be nice if Warmoth offered these along with their four-string blanks. I'd also like to request that the tummy cut and forearm contour be shaped as well (that's the most difficult part to do with few tools, and the only thing that's kept me from making several bodies from Warmoth blanks. That said, if you guys offered the blank, I'd figure out a way to do the cut and contour.

Anyone else thinking this might be not only a good idea, but a great one?

hey

Wecome to the board!

When I started my body I had no clue how to do the tummy cut or scalupped lower horn. The guys here suggested a surform which worked out great!

here is the link.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1106.0

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
hey

Wecome to the board!

When I started my body I had no clue how to do the tummy cut or scalupped lower horn. The guys here suggested a surform which worked out great!

here is the link.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1106.0

Brian

Thanks for the tip- your PRS body looks like very nice work! When will you have a picture of it?

it would be darn near imposible to CNC cut the arm and tummy contours without first having the body shape outline firmly defined - how else would you know exactly where the contours start/stop. I'm guessing you have little experience with a woodworker's rasp and spokeshave. with these two tools you can cleanly carve most any contour ... it's what I use to shape my body contours once the outline has been carefully detailed, and it's also what I use to carve the rear contours on my necks

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
it would be darn near imposible to CNC cut the arm and tummy contours without first having the body shape outline firmly defined - how else would you know exactly where the contours start/stop. I'm guessing you have little experience with a woodworker's rasp and spokeshave. with these two tools you can cleanly carve most any contour ... it's what I use to shape my body contours once the outline has been carefully detailed, and it's also what I use to carve the rear contours on my necks

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk: Where do you get a good spokeshave?  What kind do you use?  Same questions for the rasp.

I've been doing countours with a belt sander and going from heavy grit to lighter grit paper, then moving to a finish sander to smooth out the bumps.  This works pretty well, but I am interested in trying the spokeshave/rasp.

Thanks,

JBD

it's probably a lot quicker with the sander. It took me about an hour each day for about three ot four days to get the tummy cut in my build with a surform.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
it's probably a lot quicker with the sander. It took me about an hour each day for about three ot four days to get the tummy cut in my build with a surform.

Brian

I have no idea how long it took to do it with the sander.  I was able to remove a lot of wood quickly, but getting everything nice and smooth took quite a lot of sanding.  I didn't time it, but I think it was at least two hours of sanding.  That is still quicker than your three or four hours on the surform, though.  But I can't help but wonder why someone would use a hand tool when the power tool is cheap and probably faster.  So my suspicion is that it must be more accurate.

JBD

I've been pleased with the results from this very economical spokeshave from Stanley. granted, it's not top shelf in price or construction, but it's more comfortable in my hands than several others at twice the price.

with a good rasp and spokeshave you should easily be able to add a refined tummy cut in less than an hour - but you need to be practiced with using the tools. I recently added a new tool to the shop that allows me to carve a tummy cut start - finish in less than 15 minutes ... but it's definitely NOT for the timid or those unskilled with woodworking power tools! this has replaced my rasp for tummy cut work (and also for roughing out the rear contours on a neck)

this
91223.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91223

loaded with one of these (!)

LANC_45822.jpg

http://hooftrimmingtools.net/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5

I can have the entire tummy cut roughed out in under five minutes!!!  :blob7:

all the best,

R

ognolman said:
SkuttleFunk said:

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk: Where do you get a good spokeshave?  What kind do you use?  Same questions for the rasp.

I've been doing countours with a belt sander and going from heavy grit to lighter grit paper, then moving to a finish sander to smooth out the bumps.  This works pretty well, but I am interested in trying the spokeshave/rasp.

Thanks,

JBD

SkuttleFunk said:
this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91223

loaded with one of these (!)

http://hooftrimmingtools.net/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5

I can have the entire tummy cut roughed out in under five minutes!!!  :blob7:

...And I could render a nice piece of wood into firewood in about that same time, I bet!!

Seems to me that I'd be wanting to practice on a couple of 2x4s or something before I jumped into the expensive woods on that thing.  But that gets me thinking-- couldn't I just use my 14" Stihl??  :laughing7:  Kidding, of course!

Thanks for the info-- it is much appreciated!

JBD

you definitely need to practice on scrap wood first!!

o, and don't sneeze ... unless you want to offer an "ultra" ergonomic tummy cut (don't ask  :sad1:)

fwiw here's an image that shows the roughness of carving with the Lancelot just prior to using a spokeshave, scraper, and then sandpaper to clean things up

before
LeftyProto_TummyCutRoughed.jpg

after spokeshave but before scraper
LeftyProto_TummyCutFinished.jpg

(the control cavity has only been roughed out with a Forstnere bit, it still needs to be final shaped utilizing a router and templates)

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
fwiw here's an image that shows the roughness of carving with the Lancelot just prior to using a spokeshave, scraper, and then sandpaper to clean things up

before

after spokeshave but before scraper

Wow-- that is a sweet-looking body...  And the Lancelot did a very nice job on the tummy cut, I see.

JBD

it's true, a sander would have only cost about $40 but I was nervous about using a power tool on a cut I had never done before at all. I took it slow and had decent results for my first time

Brian

Back