delete

You call that bad playing?

Man...  I should upload something so you guys can really hear bad playing  :laughing7:

Nice job!  I like the sound.

I like the sound.  As for the playing, are you reading this chart from the Real Book?  It sounds like you're playing it as written.  You should know that the Real Book is a tool to be used as a guide for what notes to play, but when it comes to the actual rhythm, you can (and should) take liberties.  If you listen to any recording of that tune, I don't think there's anyone that plays it as a quarter rest, 3 quarter notes, etc.  I'm a trumpet player, so I happen to be very familiar with Chet Baker's rendition, but there are tons out there that you could listen to to get some ideas for how to mix it up a bit. 

It should also be noted that I couldn't really listen to the whole thing since I'm at work, so some of my statements may be inaccurate.  I did skip ahead to listen to part of the solo which sounded good.  :rock-on:

juliancs said:
As embarassing as my playing is, this is the first thing I've recorded with my warmoth guitar. It's a cover of.............Autumn Leaves. How exciting?

It's hard to do to a metronome as well. I think the solo is ultra dodgy as well. HOWEVER - the warmth of the sound is something I love. Especially since the pickups are centered around Iced Earth. So, excuse the playing, enjoy the sound.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=44cfaa550c3dfa01d2db6fb9a8902bda

What did you use to record it? Did you use the bridge or the neck pickup?
It would be cool to hear a really raw, distorted clip of your guitar.

Dude- the guitar sounds great!  About your playing- First off, Autumn Leaves is a fav of mine (Miles Davis's version), and I thought you did a great job.  You're way better than that 8 year old kid !  haha.  No, seriously, you did a great job, nothing to be ashamed of.  I'd rather hear you play the song simply than try and show off and miss the mark.    :hello2:  I agree with Mr Real Nice that the best way to learn the tune is to listen how the greats played it, internalize that, and then do your own thing how you want.  Memorize it till you can play it in your sleep, then have fun.  I'd jam with you any day, man.

Did I miss what your guitar configuration is?  What body style, pickups, neck, etc.  A picture would be nice!

I played Autumn Leaves from The Real Book when I went to a performing arts school back in the 1980s.  Love that tune and I think that was my first solo chord/melody piece.  I think you did great!

That IS a great warm sound! Do tell, whats your guitar setup? I'm sure it's up here some where but damned if I can remember.

Back