De-Floyding a guitar

ravenhaller

Hi all

I've built quite a few Wamoth-based projects over the years.  One of them has a locking tremolo that I think I want to delete.  I chose to install a Schaller locking bridge, knowing if it didn't work out, there was a Vintage Tremolo option I could replace it with.  And that's now my plan.

The locking nut... i'm not sure how to best approach that end of the locking system.  I've currently got a typical locking nut with the clamps removed.  Workable, but not as comfortable to navigate around zero fret as a typical bone/plastic nut.

Allparts used to have a conversion (Ebanol) nut for this purpose, but appears they are long out of stock.

Surely i'm not the first to want to decommission their locking setup.  Just wondering how others have solved this problem?

The only direct replacement nut I am aware of is the Ebanol but as you say they have not been available for some time.
Another option would be having a nut fitted and on the headstock side having some wood put back in place. The ideal  of course would be replacing the neck.

I may be oversimplifying, but it sounds like you have a neck and a body with essentially irreversible options. Or, maybe not irreversible, but not without some difficulty and a less-than-ideal result. So, the easiest thing to do would be to build another guitar. I'm guessing you had good reasons for building what you did the way you did. So, keep that (or parts it out for seed money) , and build another the way you want it now. Just a thought.

I can solve the neck dilemma, I made a brass nut for someone some time back who was doing the same mod. As for the body, you could glue in a piece of wood in the route, it's been done before, easy peezy...
51866618338_77e17ecce7_b.jpg

Back