Decisions, decisions.

Boobala

So, what'd ya think; with or without the blackburst?

I'm leaning towards the black.

The pure fireburst I could get today, but the black could take ... well, who knows.

VW-Fire-Black-Burst.jpg

Edit: Changed image for easier comparison and smaller  file size.

From a design perspective, what were you planning for neck-wise?

If you were leaning towards a lighter neck, all maple, I'd 86 the black burst.

If you were leaning towards a neck with some very dark toned wook, like maple with ebony fretboard, or raelly dark rosewood or wenge or something, maybe the burst.

Personally I think that body would look cool without the blackburst and with a AAA maple neck with some figure and all black hardware.

Gregg Stewart said:
I kind of like it WITH the black burst...

Me too.

Question for you: The firebust VW above is in the Showcase, can it be refinished to add the black burst?  (at additional cost)

jackthehack said:
From a design perspective, what were you planning for neck-wise?

If you were leaning towards a lighter neck, all maple, I'd 86 the black burst.

If you were leaning towards a neck with some very dark toned wook, like maple with ebony fretboard, or raelly dark rosewood or wenge or something, maybe the burst.

Personally I think that body would look cool without the blackburst and with a AAA maple neck with some figure and all black hardware.

I don't know. Your thoughts about the giutar without the balckburst, all maple neck, and black hardware is the first thing I thought of, but then I began to wonder what the blackburst would look like.

I think it works better with an all maple neck.

VW-Finished-Compare.jpg

I'd say just get it without the black burst, but it does look killer with the burst. Drop a zebra humbucker and throw a KWS maple fretboard neck. It would look killer. Kinda like this idea I had:

Wolfgang.jpg

Boobala said:
Gregg Stewart said:
I kind of like it WITH the black burst...

Me too.

Question for you: The firebust VW above is in the Showcase, can it be refinished to add the black burst?  (at additional cost)
Nope.

The one in right or the one in the middle, but I think this one in the middle will look better with a very very dark rosewood or another wood darker than this brown... :)

I vote no black burst.  That fire burst is one of the most beautiful finishes around right now.  What's the formula?

I like the maple neck too...

Gregg Stewart said:

Yeah, I was affraid of that. I was hoping they could scuff-up the finish, add the black burst, and re-clear it. But I guess that would make the finish too thick and heavy.

I really like the pure fireburst (specially that one) , and every time I check the Warmoth showcase I'm surprised to see that it's still there. I expected it to be snatched up
by now. I'm filled with indecision. I want to grab it before it's gone, but I already have two red guitars, and I have Musicman Axis on order. Do I really want another red guitar.
Do I really want another guitar that essentially will be a copy of the Axis that I already have on order . What-to-do,  what-to-do...

Oh, what the hell. I guess I'm red guitar kind'a guy, and I can set-up the Warmoth guitar to be more like a "Musicman Axis Super Sport" with a floyd Rose. Plus I have about
three months to cancle or return the Axis.

Ordering...

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Well I did it...

WarmothOrder.jpg

The electronics will pretty much be like a "Musicman Axis Super Sport" with a "DiMarzio Air Norton" in the neck position, and a "DiMarzio Tone Zone" in the bridge position.

The neck? I don't think I'll be picking that out of the Showcase. But it will be all AAA Birdseye Maple, 10"/16" Compound Radius fingerboard, Wolfgang profile, 6105 frets,
and maybe... Warmoth style headstock,  but without the 13° angle. But that'll have to wait a bit. Right now I have an old warmoth Strat style neck that I'm not using. I'll
use it 'till I decide on the final neck.

look into a 5 way "Super switch".  There are some very cool coil split options that you can't get with a standard 5 way switch.

I just noticed that I mistakenly ordered the body routed for a middle pickup.  :tard:  I just caled Warmoth and luckily they hadn't cut any new holes in it yet and I was able to cancel the middle pickup rout.  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_thumright:

Gregg Stewart said:
:kewlpics:  I like the dark one in the middle.  :icon_thumright:

Yeah I second that, the dark one seems to stand out like the leader of a wolf pack, I always opt for darker necks, especially if premium wood is an option, though alot of people believe maple is superior in detail, tone wise, I like the rounder tone a dark neck produces.

plus it looks Renegade!!!!!!! :party07: :guitarplayer2: :headbang1:

thumb55 said:
look into a 5 way "Super switch".  There are some very cool coil split options that you can't get with a standard 5 way switch.

I may go with a "P-Model MegaSwitch". Which operates just like PRS 5-Way rotary switch.

Positions:
1. Bridge pickup
2. Inner pickup coils, parallel
3. Outer coils, series
4. Outer coils, parallel
5. Neck pickup

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/2/Megaswitches.html

Woo Hoo! My stuff has been shipped!

VWP32ASmall.jpg
WarmothShortOrder.jpg

Now all I need are the pickups. (which won't ship until after the 21st)

I also just ordered the MegaSwitch.

Back