DC Comics are getting completely rebooted

hannaugh

Master Member
DC is completely rebooting their entire super hero universe, which means every comic book with a DC logo will either no longer exist, or will be rolled back to 1.  This means that staple titles like Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Action Comics, and Detective Comics will no longer be in the 600-900 range.  All of the writers and artists are getting switched around, there will be new storylines, the Batman universe is shrinking down to only 3 titles, and they are bringing back Animal Man, Aquaman, Hawkman and Swamp Thing as new titles. 

I don't know if anyone here actually reads this stuff, but right now at work everyone is freaking out, so I've had it on my mind.  I'm actually really excited about Swamp Thing, and I think it's going to be nice to have Batman back to a reasonable amount of books to read (not to mention it will be nice to have Bruce Wayne back for keeps). 

I was always a Marvel guy, aside from a couple titles.  I don't think I've ever been into a DC series.

More of a Manga guy myself, though I do like a few "western" comic characters like Wolverine and Punisher.

I lean more towards Marvel too, but I have a great big soft spot for Batman. These "reboots" must be getting old now...?

I know and all my favorites are going away: Power Girl, Secret Six, Justice Society ...

I'm really turned off by this change. Kingdom Come pretty much cemented DC in place as my favorite of the Big Two. Come September, I know I want Batgirl, because of Gail Simone, and I'll give the FIrestorm title a try for the same reason. I'll check out the Blackhawk title, because I'm getting old and I love the Golden and Silver Age characters. I'll probably get the DC Showcase or whatever title for the first arc (Deadman) and then see. Other than that, I'll have to wait and see.

I know I won't be getting the Grant Morrison titles, because ... well, because of Grant Morrison. I love Nightwing, but am not at all sure about that book. I'll even check out the Red Hood/Red Arrow/Starfire book.  Other than that, I can save my monthly comic money for my first Warmoth. If I can ever decide on which project to build first!

Awww, I like Grant Morrison.  :sad:

I think in someways the reboot will be good and in some ways it is going to suck.  The most obvious way it will be good is that Batman will just be 3 easily comprehensible titles instead of all this insanity that is going on lately.  People come into the store looking for Batman, and they see the 9 different titles we have and want to run in the other direction.  They've also put Geoff Johns on Aquaman, so maybe Aquaman won't suck.  And they're using Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder on a few books too (Animal Man and Swamp Thing... eeeee! So excited!). 

On the down side, a lot of people who have been reading for a long time don't like it.  Comic book fans are a lot like guitar people, they don't like change.  I think DC is hoping this will make getting into a title less intimidating for new people, and it will be, but I don't know if the number of new subscribers they get is going to balance with the number long time readers who are going to stop there. 

I personally like it because I have never been able to get into a lot of the mainstream superhero books because I'm one of those people who likes to start things from the beginning.  So after this change, maybe I'll be able to jump in a little easier. 

When I hear they're bringing back more characters it just means that we have more over-the-top, yet painfully mediocre movie titles to look forward to. They've covered just about all of them. Now I'm trying to visualize just how bad a Swamp Thing movie could be.

llmstratocaster said:
When I hear they're bringing back more characters it just means that we have more over-the-top, yet painfully mediocre movie titles to look forward to. They've covered just about all of them. Now I'm trying to visualize just how bad a Swamp Thing movie could be.

1982:
MV5BMjEwNzE5NjQzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzYyMTM3NA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Time was, Adrienne Barbeau could set a young man's heart a-flutter.

EDIT:  This was my 1000th post.  Hmm....

That's true, however... you don't have to go see the crappy movies.  ;)  The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a great comic that they made into a terrible movie, but I'm still glad the comic book exists.

Don't forget about the new "no-thighs" policy. Female characters will not be showing as much skin, I'm led to believe. Take that, fanboys!

anorakDan said:
Don't forget about the new "no-thighs" policy. Female characters will not be showing as much skin, I'm led to believe. Take that, fanboys!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Max said:
anorakDan said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh, stow it, Max - you're off to college, where they have REAL women.

I didn't hear about that part.  I don't think that would really hurt sales all that much.  Guys who buy comics for the scantily clad women alone are buying Zenescope titles and other booby books, not Green Lantern and Superman. 

The reboots were due to happen...seems to be every 20-30 years with DC.  My problem with Grant Morrison is that if you don't read everything he's writing, some stuff doesn't make sense in a story...but maybe that's just me?

Swamp Thing...yes.  That's one I want to get back into!

I'm reading the Alan Moore Swamp Thing right now.  It's so good!  And it looks like Geoff Johns is bringing back that feeling with Brightest Day Swamp Thing, which is going to lead into the new series.  I really like Scott Snyder's writing in American Vampire, so I have pretty high hopes for the new series. 

Jeff Lemire is going to be writing Frankenstein and Animal Man, which will be interesting since he doesn't usually write mainstream stuff.  Sweet Tooth is one of my favorite current titles though, so it could be really good. 

Back