DARWIN AWARDS FOR 2008

The JATO car is a total fabrication, the story goes back to at least the late 70's.  I believe there are several websites claiming to be "the real jato car" story.

The guy in the lawnchair with weather balloons is my favorite "true" Darwin award:  http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

DocNrock said:
The guy in the lawnchair with weather balloons is my favorite "true" Darwin award:  http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/walters.asp

There was sadly a story out of South America in more recent times (Brazil perhaps?) of a priest doing a balloon ride -  for charity I believe -similar to this that ended in tragedy. I think that his body wasn't found for 3 days or more. Maybe Nonsense Tele knows more about that one.

Can't stand the Darwin Awards.  It ceases to be funny when they make fun of the deaths of people you're acquainted with who died in a tragic accident in which stupidity was not a factor.

Lucky #007 said:
Can't stand the Darwin Awards.  It ceases to be funny when they make fun of the deaths of people you're acquainted with who died in a tragic accident in which stupidity was not a factor.
I don't see that being the case, when in fact the "Darwin Awards" are pointing out the stupid ways in which people off themselves. And or the idiotic circumstances they put themselves in, not the person. :dontknow:

Giving a Darwin Award to the 12 students that died in the Bonfire collapse in 99 at Texas A&M just wasn't funny to me.  They apologized and removed it from their site if memory serves, but it just wasn't funny in any way.

Lucky #007 said:
Giving a Darwin Award to the 12 students that died in the Bonfire collapse in 99 at Texas A&M just wasn't funny to me.  They apologized and removed it from their site if memory serves, but it just wasn't funny in any way.
You are right about that, that truly was an accident. And after that, they stopped all the bon-fires. They used to do one in Commerce, Tx  just down the road from me. But I never saw that one on the list....Most of the "Darwin" stuff is just urban legend anyway. Very few things they print or tell of are real...

That's why that one hit so close.  I've been going since I was little.  The students are still building one off campus.  It looks like the old one, but they have all the logs touching the ground and there are four additional poles buried ten feet in the ground surrounding the Centerpole.

I've seen most of the stuff on the original list several places.

Lucky #007 said:
That's why that one hit so close.  I've been going since I was little.  The students are still building one off campus.  It looks like the old one, but they have all the logs touching the ground and there are four additional poles buried ten feet in the ground surrounding the Centerpole.

I've seen most of the stuff on the original list several places.
Damn Lucky, didn't realize you were in Texas.... :icon_scratch:

Lucky #007 said:
We email on occasion.  He's got some killer bodies in the works. 
Sweet, wish he'd jump back on board so we could see what he's got cooking...

They are from the "W" I presume... :dontknow:

Yeah.  He picked up one of those obscene one piece Koa strats.  It's one of the most beautiful bodies I've ever seen.

Yep, it's still there.  They actually put together my first Warmoth.

I live in a spot that is both League City and Dickinson.  I drive through Texas City every day on the way to work.

Back