Dark Strat Body - Wood Choice

Nibert

So I am building a strat, my favorite color is black and I am not a fan of painted bodies. So I am going for a dark wood that is close to black or even a dark brown. It will be a strat w/ a black pickguard most likely. I am going for a warmer (I think) that will sound well w/ Rock and Blues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for either a full solid body wood or lam top I have no preference.

what about a tonewood of your choice painted black with a clear coated rosewood or wenge laminate top? Most of your tonewood options will be lighter colored, but it'll only be on the back, so whatever...

Thats a solid idea as well, I wonder how Black Korina or Rosewood would look w/ a black backing.

Black Korina's not that black but it's got cool black grain in it. The blackest you'll get I think is a wenge top.

I take that back, there's some really cool black korina tops in the unique choice section. Also check out brazilian rosewood, figured walnut, indian rosewood, pau ferro, and walnut.

I love the BR but I cant afford to dish out that kind of money, the indian rosewood did look nice.

don't forget ebony:
pt1010c.jpg

or cocobolo if you are lucky enough to get one..
pt1173c.jpg

Imbuia
ps3313a.jpg

or redwood:
ps3380a.jpg

there have been some nice ziricote tops as well in the past..

Why not use dye?  That way you can use whatever wood you want, still have the exposed grain look and have a black guitar rather than dark brown or some near-black facsimile?

jkellington said:
Why not use dye?  That way you can use whatever wood you want, still have the exposed grain look and have a black guitar rather than dark brown or some near-black facsimile?

+1 All you need is some black universal dye concentrate thinned with lacquer thinner, use that to dye the body jet black. Then you can do a rub down with some WATCO Danish Oil, or spray it with satin lacquer.

Back