Custom neckplate

rockskate4x said:
so who did that, it's still awesome!
There's several places on the interweb that do the photo plates, but the ones I've seen just do chrome and gold no black that I've seen.. They are done using a printer called a photo Impact printer. I thought about getting one, but they cost several thousand dollars for a good one... :sad1:

DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:
There's several places on the interweb that do the photo plates, but the ones I've seen just do chrome and gold no black that I've seen.. They are done using a printer called a photo Impact printer. I thought about getting one, but they cost several thousand dollars for a good one... :sad1:

I found one that does black plates...

http://fsrcustomshop.ecrater.com/

Xplorervoodoo said:
DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:

Doesn't look to impressive to me, I can barely make out what it is.... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Xplorervoodoo said:
DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:

Doesn't look to impressive to me, I can barely make out what it is.... :dontknow:

Yeah it's difficult to take a picture of it, but trust me, it looks good.

DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:

Doug,

I had two different black plates made for Valentina using the photo process that you mention.  They both went into the bottom of my box of spare parts when I came across your plates. 
Your plates got Mojo; those photo plates just don't show the lovin'.  Keep on doing what you do!  :headbang:

bbl4ck said:
DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:

Doug,

I had two different black plates made for Valentina using the photo process that you mention.  They both went into the bottom of my box of spare parts when I came across your plates. 
Your plates got Mojo; those photo plates just don't show the lovin'.  Keep on doing what you do!   :headbang:
Thanx Bart...... :rock-on:

Xplorervoodoo said:
DangerousR6 said:
Xplorervoodoo said:
DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:

Yeah it's difficult to take a picture of it, but trust me, it looks good.
When viewing these plates the image varies depending on the viewing angle and the level of available light. A good way to describe this effect is to compare it with a lcd tv/monitor (the flat type tv or computer monitor). If you have seen a lcd display you have probably noticed the display is not as "readable" and can produce a negative image from some viewing angle.

Mine can be seen from all angles, i just can't get as detailed as a photo.... :dontknow:

Xplorervoodoo said:
DangerousR6 said:
rockskate4x said:

This is who I used.  They will do black, gold and chrome.  I must say the black is the hardest to see and photograph.  When I move the gold and chrome ones they have a nice 3-D effect.

There are 2 big differences between the photo impact method and the type of machining doug does.  Obviously the photo impact has much greater detail and can replicate almost everything.  However it is a more delicate finish than Doug's plates.  On my daily guitars I used Doug's custom plates.  They offer a higher contrast and durability.  I reserve the photo impact plates for my more "boutique" guitars.

If it is a simple design and high contrast you are looking for you cannot beat doug....if you want photo quality...FSR turns out some amazing stuff.

Belwo are the two from doug...if you are going to use black...he is the best option.

Ahhhhhh yes, yet another masterpiece..... :icon_biggrin:

For Doc's "Abominable Iceman"...... :headbang1:
Yeti-2.jpg

Nice Doug...  :party07:  Maybe it's time to order another Dangerous plate!  I have one of the very first...

Hey Doug!

Are you making these from brass or gold plate? How do you not go through the plating?

Please don't make me read through all 83 pages of this thread!!!  :icon_biggrin:

Rob

reef n ale said:
Hey Doug!

Are you making these from brass or gold plate? How do you not go through the plating?

Please don't make me read through all 83 pages of this thread!!!  :icon_biggrin:

Rob
Hi Rob, no I buy the plates already made in chrome, black, gold and nickel(sometimes)...And I do cut thru the plating, that's what gives them their contrast....The underlying metal is raw steel and I machine the design thru the plating so that it contrasts to the plating.... :icon_biggrin:

Cool! Thanks Doug. It's hard to tell from the pics. They look like the gold stays intact, but I understand now.

I'll be getting with you, at some point, to place an order!  :icon_thumright:

reef n ale said:
Cool! Thanks Doug. It's hard to tell from the pics. They look like the gold stays intact, but I understand now.

I'll be getting with you, at some point, to place an order!  :icon_thumright:
:headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
Ahhhhhh yes, yet another masterpiece..... :icon_biggrin:

For Doc's "Abominable Iceman"...... :headbang1:
Yeti-2.jpg

That's really a masterpiece... I like it :icon_thumright:

Congrats :hello2:

Back