Custom Neck Plates

Plate 1 or Plate 2 is your favorite

• Shell

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Turtle

Votes: 45 64.3%

• Total voters
Oh, I forgot to add, the place in the middle would be left blank so we could go have whatever we wanted (serial number, name, etc...) engraved. The engraving could be done at most jewelers, trophy shops, etc...
This would allow Warmoth to have cool neck plates and us to have an even more custom look on our guitars.

j_fountain2, thank you for creating the right picture. That is exactly what Warmoth should have cast.

I'd assume the number would be stamped, not engraved.  But, I'm not sure what's involved with that and that's why it would be an upcharge.  It was just a suggestion!

What was everyone else thinking with regards to how it's done in posts of "random numbers"?

I voted for the happy Warmoth turtle. He's been a constant companion since the 80's for me.

Just out of curiousity, what's his/her name, if any?

The actual origin of the Turtle is that it was Ken Warmoth's nickname in the Army. Then when Warmoth company launched, you could definately get a quality neck, but it may take some time. So there were now two reasons to use the Turtle for a mascot.

And that's the way it was decades ago in a land far, far......down the street.

There's a problem with the cast neck plates in that they are too thick and people complain about bumping into it.

I don't know if engraving plates that are already plated with chrome, black and gold will actualy look good or if perhaps the engraving (if deep) is sharp and causes chrome to peal and such. I like that last suggeston above using a background pattern like the Jackson. A plate proposal was sent to me by an engraving company using it and I thought it looked pretty sharp.

I saw on here someone suggesting counter sunk holes for the screws, so they would be flush with the wood. Would it be to much trouble to route a small recess for the neck plate? It would allow the use of the thicker cast neck plate and still give a smooth flush fit.

Also I see what your saying about the engraving possible messing up the chrome, black, or gold plating maybe you could offer standard plated neck plates with no space for engraving and offer an optional stainless steel neck plate (for a few dollars more) that could be engraved by the guitar builder (also for a few dollars more). 

I'm glad you like it! What chance is there I will ever be able to buy one for my guitar? I've got plans to do a Vandenberg type guitar, in Korina w/ quilted top, recessed floyd, Korina neck w/ ebony board, stainless 6105 frets, graphite nut, reverse explore headstock w/ quilted veneer that I think it would go great with.

j_fountain2 said:
I'm glad you like it! What chance is there I will ever be able to buy one for my guitar? I've got plans to do a Vandenberg type guitar, in Korina w/ quilted top, recessed floyd, Korina neck w/ ebony board, stainless 6105 frets, graphite nut, reverse explore headstock w/ quilted veneer that I think it would go great with.
Working on it. The wheels of progress always turn slower than we wish.  :icon_smile:

Thought the shell design was  obviously "reptilian" at first glance,and I preferred it.Nothing against the "turtle minstrel",it looks fine on the website or letterhead,but it doesn't get put on anything I build.The Warmoth "W" ,"Made in USA",and a random # on a diecast plate will get a couple of 'em sold to me.A raised blank area for my own initials and # would be cool.Use a metal that I can acid etch,or "parkerize" and finish in flat,satin black,or a powdercoat myself,in addition to nickel and gold.Seems like they're outlawing the black chrome process and sales of the parts in all the  developed countries.It even looks like "W" is no longer stocking black J control plates.Give me metal parts I can finish myself then! Terry

I really like the turtle shell.  I think it sets Warmoth apart from all the other neck plates out there that have their stamped name & logo.  So long as it feels smooth, I would prefer it over the "dated" looking 2nd plate. 

This is also partly due to that Warmoth is always on the cutting edge of technology, so revising an appearance do deviate slightly from the original is always a creative & marketing improvement. 

It references the original concept "turtle" without totally dismissing it & coming up with another one entirely.

I'll take the Turtle Shell Plate.

I'm not advertising here.  I found this when looking for a plate for my Kelly.  If you want a custom neck plate, here's a link:http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmrwmlarsonQQhtZ-1

Be sure to check out one of the items, in it you'll find there catalog which shows you what they are capable of doing.  Pretty sharrp!  :rock-on:

Hmmm...None of the above - Unless the above includes j_fountain2's Jackson style plate.  :headbang:

i like the shell, its kinda like an inside joke.

that or the shell with just a giant W and made in U.S.A.

Back