Custom headstock shape

Nsatke81

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I didn’t see it on the searches I did. I want to have warmoth build me a neck, but the headstock is not offered. I have an accurate tracing of the headstock I want. Will they do it? Or is this not a service the offer? Thank you!

You can always call them, but I’m betting the answer will be buy one with an uncut paddle and cut it yourself. In short, no. But call them, they are good folks. Did you lookat the warmoth website?

"Accurate tracing" as in an actual CAD drawing in digital format, with industry standard dimensions and line types, or "accurate tracing" in "I drew around the headstock with pencil on a piece of paper?"

Or buy the paddle and if you don't have the tools bring it to someone who does.

/s

So, I wanted to use the actual cad drawing but the guy who has the machine and manufactures the necks didn’t want to give away his intellectual property, which I totally understand. He traced around one of his headstocks.

I would normally give him the business. However, he doesn’t want to do a neck with the back shape I’m looking for, fully scalloped board and no inlays. So I’m kind of between a rock and a hard place—warmoth is the only place that will build the neck, but if I do a paddle, they won’t finish it of course. I know warmoth will build me a killer scalloped neck because I already own one.

Could I go with a local luthier in my area? Probably. Not convinced any of the local people could do half the job that warmoth does having seen their work.

Last edited:
You might consider a roasted maple neck with your choice of fretboard wood, since it doesn't need an added finish. I have two unfinished roasted maple necks with Indian rosewood boards, and they're my favorite two necks.

You'd be surprised what a local luthier can do.
I have been to about a dozen of them and I usually have to bring their work to this other guy to fix. That guy is semi retired and and mostly races horses. Does amazing work when he gets around to it.

Why don't you have this amazing guy do the headstock on a Warmoth paddle neck? Pick a wood that does not require a finish and have at it.
Yes, this sounds like a good plan, as long as you're OK with an unfinished neck. Personally, I greatly prefer unfinished wood. Once burnished, nothing feels or plays better.

Why don't you have this amazing guy do the headstock on a Warmoth paddle neck? Pick a wood that does not require a finish and have at it.
He has had one of my guitars that needs a basic setup for over 2 years now. He had a guitar of mine for 8 years and did nothing. He decides what he takes on and doesn’t need the work, but the turnaround makes it prohibitive. When the lockdown started he was probably bored and wanted something to do. I worry that if I bring this project to him it will never get done.

I’m in the dc suburbs fwiw, Maryland side.

Closest guitar store which would know a good luthier that I know of is in Richmond. I know of no sources of luthiers in Maryland. :unsure:
8 years? You live in a luthier desert, like one of those food deserts. Something’s not right. You’d think a big city like dc would have someone. Have you tried Baltimore?

Last edited:
Or get the Warmoth paddle neck and do the shape and finish yourself if you cannot find someone to do it. I am in Europe, so probably cost prohibitive for me to do it.

What sort of finish and wood types are you wanting?

Closest guitar store which would know a good luthier that I know of is in Richmond. I know of no sources of luthiers in Maryland. :unsure:
8 years? You live in a luthier desert, like one of those food deserts. Something’s not right. You’d think a big city like dc would have someone. Have you tried Baltimore?
Richmond could be a good excuse to go to GWAR bar…ha

The guy in Baltimore has an insta channel, but I’ve never had a chance to work with.l him. think a year ago she stopped taking new work because he got backed up with all the work from Peabody and everyone else who wanted stuff during the pandemic. I should probably reach out again and see if he is taking repairs

A few thoughts:
The W will not cut a custom headstock. I know, I asked. I had a custom design (in CAD) and nope.
Determine the wood you want to use. If its one of the many that don't require a finish, thats good.
Get a paddle headstock, and cut it yourself. I've seen people even do this with something as simple as a coping saw and some rasps/files.

Back