Custom GD Gold Top

DocNrock said:
GoDrex said:
GoDrex said:
I actually slapped that pickup in the bridge of my parker just to see what it would do. It sounds good but is lacking something. It may get moved to the neck. I recently got some more bridge pickups to try.

you went back too far...

So I did.  It sounds great in the neck position of a Les Paul.  I'm done now.

oh -  well  it's not going in the LP - I'm perfectly happy with the Jazz in that guitar.

that clip, its really exactly the sound of an air norton, spot on. most of the time, those clips aren't a good representation, but now it is. it's also kind-off like my first warmoth, with its trem, IRW neck, korina body, and bluesbucker pickups.

Last night I moved it to the neck position and put a SD Full Shred in the bridge position and I'm very happy with both. The Air Norton is really good sounding with a lot of gain and sustain and it matches up pretty well with the FS. Both are real articulate and are kind of neutral sounding - which in this case is a good thing. I want that guitar to be for shreddy type and both are perfect for that.

veryorange2.jpg

a perfect match, IMO :icon_thumright:

Blue313 said:
Nice!

Have you found some peace with this beast at long last?

Well I was always very happy with it - I just felt the head needed a better cabinet. And I wanted one that could handle more power because I have a feeling that one day I'll get something else more powerful.

Or do you mean the guitar? The guitar is OK. It's not perfect but there's not much I can do about it without taking it to a new place and spending more money and hoping they don't screw me. I feel like it needs a fret level and maybe even one fret replaced (I think that nut Fred filed down the first fret - you can see it in the pictures I took) - and a custom made nut. Otherwise, it plays pretty well and sounds great. I'm pretty happy with it. I play it more than my other guitars. It's weird that I find it more comfortable than my strat, even though there are no comfort contours on an LP. I'm still messing around with pickups with it, but I pretty much know what sounds good in it now, since I've literally tried 10 different pickup and magnet combinations. About to try number eleven (hybrid with A4 magnet). If that one sounds good I'll keep it. If I'm not happy with it I'll go back to the A5 version and be done with it. Right now it has an Alnico II Pro in the bridge and it's sweet, but I've always liked the A5 and the A2 feels like it's to soft to me (not volume, the feel or attack of it).

GoDrex said:
Last night I moved it to the neck position and put a SD Full Shred in the bridge position and I'm very happy with both. The Air Norton is really good sounding with a lot of gain and sustain and it matches up pretty well with the FS. Both are real articulate and are kind of neutral sounding - which in this case is a good thing. I want that guitar to be for shreddy type and both are perfect for that.

Glad to hear you like it in the neck spot.  I love mine.  Thick, warm, tight, hot, and easy to get pinches.

And congrats on the new amp, as well.  :icon_thumright:

I just recorded a short tune with the LP. It's been about a year an a half since I recorded anything, so this is the first tune to use it. It's called "The Secret Broccoli."  I don't know why.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=795734&content=music

or on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/garyodrechsel

hey thanks - love this guitar now - took me a while to get there, but it's all good now :icon_thumright:

I know what you mean, I didnt really feel my guitar was the tool I was hoping for until I started to put some wear on it and get things micro adjusted to that spot where it all finally came together.
getting the pickups set the right distance from the strings to where they gave me the tone and volume I liked for my picking, and getting the perfect amount of relief in the neck to where I could get under the strings, yet still stay close to the board for faster stuff.....it took me a bit but yep Im finding the same thing, this guitar smokes as Im sure does your paul.

I checked out your site as well, liking some of them tunes you got going, I may start a page on there as well, Im getting ready to do some recording on my computer be a nice place to present it to the masses for feedback.

Beautiful guitar! I actually have a goldtop on order right now that I can't wait for! Did you get the cream color binding on both the body and the neck?

Thanks - yeah it's all cream - - it even has double cream pickups in it now - I think it looks even better.

gdgt410.jpg

It now has a Bareknuckle VHII in the bridge spot and a Seymour Duncan '78 in the neck spot. I think they are there to stay.

I like it even better now!... the cream pickups, the naked fingerboard., the extra special binding at the end of the fingerboard! it is just perfect!

Marko said:
I like it even better now!... the cream pickups, the naked fingerboard., the extra special binding at the end of the fingerboard! it is just perfect!

the binding isn't special anymore - I took care of that a long time ago. the emotional scars haven't fully healed though.  :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
Marko said:

the binding isn't special anymore - I took care of that a long time ago. the emotional scars haven't fully healed though.  :laughing7:

that is why I brought it up one more time! :)

Back