Curious???

• Thread starter misplacedsanity
  • Start date
M

misplacedsanity

I may be out of line asking this, so feel free to delete the topic if need be.
But I'm curious as to why USA Custom guitars gets a bad rap around here?
I've seen them mentioned in a couple of threads and both times it was implied
that they were less than kosher. Is it just a healthy competition thing or does it
run deeper than that? I've never had any dealings with them as such, I've mailed
them a few times prior to buying from Warmoth and have always received a
prompt and polite reply. So, what gives?

I've played USACG products, and they are good, but I don't feel that they're any better than Warmoth.  The 7.25"-9.5" compound radius was what I was mostly interested in, but it was no big deal, just go with the 9.5" radius.  The difference in feel is negligible.  They also cost more than Warmoth and they don't have the Fender correct headstock shapes.  However, they DO have stainless steel 6100 fret options, something Warmoth has neglected to offer thus far...

That up there ^^^ was about their necks.  Their bodies are in no way better than Warmoth, and I cannot justify paying more for a product that isn't superior.  I like to get all the bang I can for my buck.  Couple that with the fact that Warmoth has a MASSIVE showcase of their bodies that I can choose from at prices that are usually cheaper than a custom order of the same design and you know where I'm buying from!

:headbang1:!!!WARMOTH ROCKS!!! :headbang1:

-Rose

Thanks for the reply. Although the question wasn't so much are they any better
than Warmoth, I know where I've been shopping and where I'm going to continue
to shop, so I've pretty much answered that question myself. And there are a lot
of custom shops that cost way more than Warmoth and way more than UCG that
don't seem to come under any fire. So I was just wondered if there was any reason
for the bad blood other than the fact both companies are in the same business and
are obvious competitors, kinda like a "My Dad could beat your Dad in a fight"
argument.  I thought maybe there was some juicy gossip I wasn't privy to.

"privy to" Thats right, I'm posting this from the 16th century.

misplacedsanity said:
Thanks for the reply. Although the question wasn't so much are they any better
than Warmoth, I know where I've been shopping and where I'm going to continue
to shop, so I've pretty much answered that question myself. And there are a lot
of custom shops that cost way more than Warmoth and way more than UCG that
don't seem to come under any fire. So I was just wondered if there was any reason
for the bad blood other than the fact both companies are in the same business and
are obvious competitors, kinda like a "My Dad could beat your Dad in a fight"
argument.  I thought maybe there was some juicy gossip I wasn't privy to.

some of us have had very bad experience with that joint. twisting necks, for instance. but I dont remember who it was...

I haven't noticed any bad blood - mostly just apprehension about mentioning them here.

I thought it was the other way around.. USCG fans seem to dislike warmoth for some reason..
Never tried them.. the fact that they are not fender licensed bothers me a little bit. not sure why :)

B Heffner/Edenhaus is the one with the bad reputations I believe.

I have been thinking about trying Musikraft a couple of times, but I end up playing it safe everytime.. which means giving my money to warmoth :)

The only thing that really got me interested on their site was the 7.25-9.5 radius thing. That always sounded cool in theory.

You do know that USACG was formed by a group of ex-warmoth employees and is located in the same small town as Warmoth, right? I have no juicy dirt but it seems clear there would be some drama in the story.
But as usual, those who talk, don't know, and those who know, don't talk.

They offer some body shapes that I really wish Warmoth offered, especially the dinky strat and tele, and they offer a few more options that I think would be cool for W to offer as well. Someday I may try them if I decide I really need a dinky T to round out the collection.

I've read a lot of unsubstantiated internet gossip on the whole USACG/Warmoth saga, as well as experiences with both companies.  I post regularly at Harmony Central, and if you do a search you'll find a ton of stuff on the subject.  I even recall someone typing an extended diatribe on the whole USACG/Warmoth saga right in the middle of a product review. 

First off, every company makes lemons.  It's just a reality.  Not every single piece is going to be without problems. 

I've heard various things about both companies.  I've heard people talk about having very poor experiences dealing directly with Ken Warmoth, as well as having Warmoth products that were subpar.  The same is true with USA Custom Guitars.  On the other hand, I've read testimonies on how people think Warmoth is the greatest company in the world and make products superior to absolutely everything off-the-shelf. 

As always, consider your source.

There was an odd occurrence where someone posted a link to another forum that had talked alot (badly) about warmoth and their policies and prices. It grew to about 2 pages and then...POOF! vanished.

I don't know if there's bad blood or not between the two companies, but their (USACG) carve-top strat is pretty damned nice IMO.

Um... yea, I got nothing....

Don't believe what you read unless you have your own experience. I chose Warmoth for my first order because It was the only parts company I knew of, 15 years before and long before the net days. I'm very pleased with the guitars I 've made so I continue with them. USACG has the carved tele body and the 7.25"-9.5" compound radius. I'd like to see these two in W. On the other hand, their neck woods are limited. Only rosewood is offered for those who want an unfinished neck. Until they offer more neck woods, I'm sticking with W.

21th century has come! Warmoth should offer SS frets + binding - bound headstocks  :hello2:

MicahC said:
There was an odd occurrence where someone posted a link to another forum that had talked alot (badly) about warmoth and their policies and prices. It grew to about 2 pages and then...POOF! vanished.

Well, this board is moderated and although it's not officially affiliated with Warmoth, I would assume the people that run this place want to keep an amicable relationship between this discussion board and the company.  Warmoth has a link to this board on their website and some Warmoth employees even post here, so they want to be careful not to jeopardize that.

Do USA Custom necks fit Warmoth bodies?  I want the truss rod adjustment to be at the headstock (not at the heel end) and Warmoth necks don't seem to have that. I also like the fact that USACG will prep the neck for a Floyd Rose locking nut...

Warmoth Vintage modern necks adjust at the tuning head. They WILL do the prep for a floyd for about $45

Brian

T.L. said:
Do USA Custom necks fit Warmoth bodies?  I want the truss rod adjustment to be at the headstock (not at the heel end) and Warmoth necks don't seem to have that. I also like the fact that USACG will prep the neck for a Floyd Rose locking nut...

Warmoth does Floyd prerp...

Back