Crazy wiring idea

Wana_make_a_guitar

Humbucker > On/off > single coil mode nearest neck / off / single coil mode nearest bridge

Humbucker > On/off > single coil mode nearest neck / off / single coil mode nearest bridge

Humbucker  >On/off > single coil mode nearest neck / off / single coil mode nearest bridge

Master volume/Master tone Concentric Pot

You mean like an on/off switch for each of six coils? Brian May has an on/off and a phase switch for each of three pickups... I read a really detailed explanation of what it does in some mag or another, I can track it down if anyone cares.

Howzabout - three concentric volume/volume controls, one for each pickup, so you can balance the outputs of all six coils with each other?
Throw in three (or six) phase switches and you could confuse the hell outta yourself ALL NIGHT LONG!  :toothy10: :hello2: :blob7:

1) you can achieve this with 3, three way switches.  onHB/off/single coil
2) the tone difference between the coils is negligible. Ive turned one of my split coil humbuckers around in the cavity and could not tell a difference at all.
3)LP's look strange without the trad control placement. Id hide the switches by using push/pull or push/push pots and a standard LP toggle. the added advantage is that you can easily grab a pot while you arnt looking at it and activate the switch.

Brian

stubhead said:
Howzabout - three concentric volume/volume controls, one for each pickup, so you can balance the outputs of all six coils with each other?
Throw in three (or six) phase switches and you could confuse the hell outta yourself ALL NIGHT LONG!  :toothy10: :hello2: :blob7:

This would be fun to play around with for about 2.5 hours one night, as long as it was someone else's guitar and I could give it back once I got frustrated.

I have the Jimmy Page wiring on my LP and it's very fun to play around with. And you can't tell that it's there. 21 combinations, a lot of them usable, some kind of subtle. A lot of them sound great for clean tones. Great for recording - kind of hard to get some of the settings while playing.

I agree that there's little difference in tone with different coils on.

I've got a motherbucker in a guitar, and if I choose the coil nearest to the bridge, thats a completely different sound than the coil closest to the neck (but hey, its like having 2 hotrails, and then choosing which coil I get...). but with a normal humbucker it makes no iota difference.

The advantage of choosing coils comes into play when you're combining coils from different pickups when they're both on - Bill Lawrence started it up with the L6S, then Paul Reed Smith, Ibanez and Music Man, and now Taylor "borrowed" the idea. In a conventional two-humbucking guitar, the two inside coils make another humbucker, and the two outside coils make a BIG humbucker... in a three pickup guitar, you makum BIG headache trying to figure out what's happening....  :icon_scratch:
like, plugged into a stereo flanger into a Triple Rectifier, it even matters.... :party07:

Why not have individual phase switches instead of swapping coils, which will sound no different (as everybody pointed out). http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/sw1.php
Do this mod plus have separate coil taps for each HB, you'd have 7,645 extremely similar tonal combinations to fiddle with instead of actually practicing guitar. Add that to the time spent playing around with your pod's 6,546 amp / speaker / effect combos and you'll probably be able to spend no time at all actually rocking. Do I sound like a grumpy old fart now?

Waoh, i'm not gonna do it, an idea just popped i my head and i felt the need to post it! :laughing7:

'Here it comes again

Three push pull pots to switch between HB ans single coil for each pup volume and a master tone. just to make it look more like a lp and three on/off switches for each pup.

That'd fit in my SG if i really wanted to do that though.

KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid

I designed and built a set of pups and switch setup that required about a dozen switches, basically there were 500 combinations of sound based on all the possible combinations, you name it these would do it.

But it's not practicle to use, I built it to learn from it,  Find the sound you like and wire to that, options for the sake of options is silly,
I'm sure most people on here who have done a few builds would agree

Yeah, I NEVER even use the tone control with Humbuckers, although I do on my Tele and Strat singles.  Even that is unnecessary for most.  KISS is the way for mw.

I found a cool use for the tone control on a LP. Only works if you have 2 tones. When in the middle position, turn down the tone all the way on one of the pickups - this gives a very cool smooth tone that still has lots treble mixed in.

I love the four-knob, Gibsony setup - so much so that I put 2 tone/volume concentric pots on my Warmoth Tele and Mustang. If you play live, you need some predictable presets to get to, quickly. Most of the best guitarists I've seen/heard use controls fluently - Morse, Johnson, Beck, Poland, Page, Hendrix, Kasper, Noy, Santana, Allman... try playing the solo from "Elizabeth Reed" correctly without four knobs. :icon_scratch: There are a few speedsters I admire who don't use tone controls like Gilbert & Petrucci, but they don't have to play covers in bar bands anymore. :toothy12:

My favorite is two volumes and master tone with three-way switch.  The second tone I could take or leave.  I like the extra volume so I can treat the toggle like a kill switch with one volume off.  It's also a neat trick/effect to finesse the switch in sync with a slow, two string bend.  I've got a '72 Tele Custom RI I do this with (it's basically an LP control layout).  My dual humbucker equipped Strat has two voulmes and a master tone (among other things).  My new Warmoth J-Bass is the same.

What's be really cool is a push pull concentric pot. Volume tone like a single coil or humbucker, like stubhead said, that and a 3 way selector switch. For 2 humbuckers though.

Thats a better idea than my fist one.

Another idea for my guitar, since it only has one pup, I could have 2 push pulls for my guitar, volume and tone, though it may sound a bit weak distorted.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
What's be really cool is a push pull concentric pot. Volume tone like a single coil or humbucker, like stubhead said, that and a 3 way selector switch. For 2 humbuckers though.

Thats a better idea than my fist one.

Another idea for my guitar, since it only has one pup, I could have 2 push pulls for my guitar, volume and tone, though it may sound a bit weak distorted.

why would it sound weak?

Back