Crazy Blue Flame Maple Strat! - FINISHED!!!

Ddbltrbl said:
stratamania said:
What about a Seymour Duncan everything axe, set that would give you a range of tones and fit a traditional SSS pick guard and you know they will work together.
I thought the same way and built one. While it is OK, it just doesn't have the warmth I prefer.  :dontknow:

Ultimately, the way I got the closest to an everything axe in an SSS form factor was using Zexcoils! They have all the power of the Seymour Duncans, no noise, but more warmth and just an all around better sound. And, wired with all the split and blend options they have an even wider range of sounds than the SDs, at least to my ear.
:guitarplayer2:

Yes, I have heard some good reports on the Zexcoils...

Josh...Also got it on the P90s... I just realised Kinman also do P90 ish pickups and I love their Woodstock pickups, but it may put you over budget.

Yeah, the Tremsetter just seems like a nothing-to-lose type of thing, only-imporvement, you know? I like the idea of having a very easy solution that pretty much guarantees eliminating any tremolo instability that may exist. I like the idea!

To be honest, my main guitar right now is a Samick Greg Bennett Series Malibu MB-2, and it has a 6 point type design. Its not really THAT bad. But the guitar is by no means THAT good. For those of you that don't know, Samick is basically the company that builds like 70% of the guitars is the world. They "ghost-build" for just about every guitar maker you could think of. Their own stuff isn't half bad, though.
That thing is actually the first electric I ever got, ever. It's not going anywhere.

Again, sorry guys, but I'm not going for any single-coils (not P90) on this thing, besides in the neck position. I just feel like P90s can be better in so many ways, especially for what I'm looking for.

I just looked at those noiseless Kinman P90HX pickups, which seemed pretty cool, until I saw the price! Almost $160 for ONE PICKUP!!! I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Junior (with better fretwork than many Gibsons these days), for 89 bucks!!!
Anyways, from what being said, the Kinman is described as bright and clear, which sounds too bright for that jazz tone.

I did message Ken from Roadhouse about the True Blue P90, which is looking like a VERY good option, but I'll see what he says.

JoshHPMusic said:
Again, sorry guys, but I'm not going for any single-coils (not P90) on this thing, besides in the neck position. I just feel like P90s can be better in so many ways, especially for what I'm looking for.
Assuming this refers to the posts from Stratamania and myself - I'm not trying to dissuade you from the P-90s at all, but just for clarity, neither the Zexcoils and Seymour Duncans that we were talking about are single coils. They come in single coil size, but they are fully humbucking.

I would be really tempted to try Ken's P-90! I haven't used any of his pickups yet, but from all the great stuff I've heard about them and the few demo's I've heard, there has to be something good going on there!
:guitarplayer2:

I definitely don't want humbuckers. I'm sure these don't sound exactly as most buckers do, but in general, I find the hum bucking of humbuckers (their purpose) to be a terrible compromise, as their tone is subpar. Humbuckers are like P90's, after you remove the good dynamics, character, and texture. They're too often just bland in comparison to P90s or single coils, and even without the hum, I think they're overrated.

Sorry for my little rant, just stating my opinion. I'm super glad this is gonna be a non-bucker-loaded guitar.

Nevertheless, I'm sure those Zexcoils are nice if both of you insist they are. I'll check them out.

You know if you want P90s, or any other type of pickups it's cool.  We are just discussing options you may have wanted to consider and we may get a little off what you are looking for as we do that.

I got it on the price of some pickups, for example the Kinmans I mentioned I did think they would probably put you over budget, but then again you do get mostly what you pay for. Not always the case of course and there are usable lower price options around, so I wish you well in your search.

Thanks, everyone. Every response is getting me closer to the final product, so you all deserve a big thanks.

Does anybody else think it looks really strange or 'overdone' when a guitar has 3 P90's in a row? Just seems like there's a lot going on.

I think 3 pickups of the same physical appearance looks good - see Tony Ounsworth's 3 mini-humbucker Strat. If maybe in a bit of a Hofner/Teisco/retro-cool sort of way.

3 P90 version from Warmoth's builder:
blue390.jpg

Maybe try talking to someone like Ken about hiding whatever kind of pups you want under P90 style covers? Not sure he'll do it though. 'My pickup maker' in the UK - Catswhisker Pickups - does a lot of that sort of thing, and very well too.

Well I guess it doesn't look too bad...
Tony's MH strat looks really good, but then again, mini hum buckers are much smaller than P90s, and CHROME, which makes everything look neater.

I think the reason the MH's can look so good with 3 in a row is because of their size and appearance, whereas P90s are much bigger and take up a lot more space on the pickguard. Still, it doesn't look bad. And I love P90s.

Now I'm still kinda worried about the sounds I'll be able to get from the neck P90. Can I get the same type of thing in the neck as I would be able to with something like the Bare Knuckle Slow Hand single coil?

Alright, I've decided I'm going for the triple P90's thing. It's gonna be cool.  :icon_biggrin:

Now the hard part... WHAT PICKUPS?!?!

I originally was thinking the Bare Knuckle Supermassive P90 will be the bridge pup. For hard-hitting rock tones, and some punk rock.

Then the middle could probably be the least expensive, most likely the Roadhouse True Blue P90.

And the neck... another BK pup? I just need something that gives a really nice solo tone, for some bluesy/rock stuff.

Help!

Ok so here are 4 options:

1) $383 - Neck: Bare Knuckle Blue Note P90
                Middle: Bare Knuckle Half Note P90
                Bridge: Bare Knuckle Supermassive P90

2) $335 - Neck: Bare Knuckle Blue/Half Note P90
                Middle: Roadhouse True Blue P90
                Bridge: Bare Knuckle Supermassive P90

3) $241 - Vintage Vibe Soapbar P90 Set of 3 (Many interchangeable magnets)

4) $241 - Neck: Kent Armstrong Stealth P90 (Noiseless) OR Classic Soap
                Middle: Kent Armstrong Dual Tone P90 (Two voices, 8.5K or 5.6K switchable)
                Bridge: Kent Armstrong Hot Soap P90

Unfortunately, I think options 1&2 are just too expensive right now. I think my original budget, in mind, wasn't supposed to go over $1200 or so, and after buying the ~$858 body (w/ most hardware), and $124 neck, I will have $218 to go until I reach $1200. Undoubtedly, I will end up going over, but thats an even bigger reason to get the most "bang for your buck" pickups I can find, that will still sound good.

So this means its probably going to be either option 3 or 4.

To me, option 3 seems best, at this point. For one thing, it is a set of three, so they will definitely work well together. Secondly, there are 4 different types of magnets that can be easily swapped in these pickups, so if I'm not happy with the sound I am getting, I can always just swap out the magnets, quickly. Here's a quote from the website:

SB P-90 SW-set3
Soapbar P-90 Changeable magnet design set of 3 (bridge pickup, middle pickup, and neck pickup); middle pickup, RWRP. My current design for these pickups allows the owner to change the magnets with ease. I ship these pickups with two complete sets of magnets. Magnet types available include: AlNiCo-II, AlNiCo-III, AlNiCo-V and ceramic-8. The AlNiCo-II magnets give a warm vintage tone, the AlNiCo-III magnets boost output and give a little sharper attack. The AlNiCo-V magnets give even higher output and sharper attack; for the highest output and sharpest attack choose the ceramic-8 magnets.

So do any of you have opinions or experience on these pickups?

Thanks!

You make a very good point. I could save a whole dollar!

I spoke to Ken, and listened to the pickups, and decided that I will go with the Vintage Vibe P90 set.

I just think I will be happier with the VV set, as they come in a matched set of three, and magnets will be able to be swapped and changed very easily, so I can get exactly the sound I'm looking for from each pickup, or as close as possible.

Ken definitely makes some great pickups, and I'm sure I'll end up getting something from him at some point, but not this time.

So that part's done!  :toothy10: I will miss that 1 dollar though.  :sad:

JoshHPMusic said:
Alright, I've decided I'm going for the triple P90's thing. It's gonna be cool.  :icon_biggrin:

Now the hard part... WHAT PICKUPS?!?!

I originally was thinking the Bare Knuckle Supermassive P90 will be the bridge pup. For hard-hitting rock tones, and some punk rock.

Then the middle could probably be the least expensive, most likely the Roadhouse True Blue P90.

And the neck... another BK pup? I just need something that gives a really nice solo tone, for some bluesy/rock stuff.

I'm tellin' ya - call Ken at Roadhouse (503-320-6353). He knows what he's doing, and he'll custom wind some P90s for you that'll make you happy. You just have to tell him what you want and he'll make it happen. No wondering or guessing. Overwound, underwound, different magnets, hot, cold, biting, purring - whatever it takes. They're custom pickups made to your spec. What could possibly be better than that?

Kevin, you're too good, at this game of making me change my mind constantly. And I thank you for that.

I don't know a whole lot about how specific windings and magnets affect pickup tone, but I will try to give Ken a call when I have the chance. He sounds better and better each time someone mentions him!

Thanks Kevin, seriously, you're the man.

JoshHPMusic said:
I don't know a whole lot about how specific windings and magnets affect pickup tone, but I will try to give Ken a call when I have the chance. He sounds better and better each time someone mentions him!

I don't really know, either. It's sort of a black art. That's why you hire experts. Why wonder? Get somebody who knows how to do it to do it for you, and you end up happy, Happy, HAPPY!

Cagey said:
JoshHPMusic said:

I don't really know, either. It's sort of a black art. That's why you hire experts. Why wonder? Get somebody who knows how to do it to do it for you, and you end up happy, Happy, HAPPY!

Wow ok thanks. You seem very happy, a little too happy... Does Ken box up something other than "pickups" in these boxes he sends you? Wouldn't be surprised...

:laughing7:

Hehe! No, I just got my Prozac prescription refilled so I'm off the rag <grin>

So they call it "Prozac" now! Hey! Jk, jk.

Well I'm probably just going to wait to ask Ken about specific pickups, at least until I've actually ordered the body, which should hopefully be within the next few weeks.

I trust that he can make a good pickup, and especially a set that is what I've been dreaming of. Can't wait!

You won't be disappointed.

Unless for some reason you like stuff to sound like crap.    :icon_jokercolor:

Back