Crazy Blue Flame Maple Strat! - FINISHED!!!

That makes sense. And the nice thing about any Strats or teles for that matter is you can always swap things out at a later time if you want or need to, or when funds allow or GAS dictates.

I think one of the most important things I need to figure out is the middle pickup now.
As you probably saw, I'm planning on using a mini-humbucker.

I want it to be especially good for jazzy tones, and also to work in conjunction with the two Bare Knuckle pickups that are in the bridge and neck.

I really don't know where to look for this one, so does anyone have any experience with good mini-humbuckers? Specifically jazzy ones?

I'm curious what your motivation is for using a mini-humbucker. If you don't know what they sound like or where to get them, what makes you think you even want one, or that that's a good position for one? I know you'll not see many examples of that being done.

I also know it's poor practice to try mixing wildly different pickups on the same guitar. I've tried it a number of times, and it's always disappointing. It seems like a good idea - numerous tones out of the same instrument - but somehow, it just ends up sounding goofy.

Past that, I don't have any helpful info about mini-hums.

Well what do you suggest I do for the middle pickup then? I already know that I absolutely want a P90 in the bridge for a really hard-hitting rock n' roll sound, with some similarity to Green Day's American Idiot album. Most likely the Supermassive P90 will work.
I also know now that the Slow Hand should work well in the neck for the bluesy, almost-hendrix, nice vintage tone.

Basically, the next thing I'm trying to get is an option that will give me a nice clean jazzy sound. I don't care what type of pickups that takes, but as long as I can keep the Supermassive and the Slow Hand, I'll be happy. I need a pickup in the middle that reduces/kills that "beloved" quack in both of the in-between positions. A pickup that can easily combine with either the neck or bridge or by itself and produces nice smooth jazzy tone.

There's gotta be something that will work to some extent. Anyone got suggestions?

I would think another P90-style unit would work well. I think I might try one of Bill Lawrence's L-609 parts. I haven't used one, though, so I can't say how it would work out. I just know I always love Bill's pickups.

You'd be better off talking to Troubled Treble here, or perhaps Jumble Jumble. They're more knowledgeable about pickups. I just experiment around, since I've never read a pickup description yet that had any correlation to reality once installed.

Might look a little weird with the two P90s and one single coil in the neck, but as long as it gives me the sound I'm looking for, I'm all for it!
That pickup you linked me to, is that standard soapbar P90 size? Looks a bit strange.
I'm sure you've been hearing a little about the NAMM show that's going on right now... what do you think of the whole Fishman Fluence pickup thing? Seems interesting to me, I was starting to think about trying out the single coil version in the middle...  :dontknow:

That L-609 is sized LxW as a humbucker, but it has rounded-off corners.

The Fishman units are curious, but I don't know what to think of them yet. Not sure they're even available yet.

Yeah, the Fluence seems interesting, but it won't be out for a while anyways, it's still being advertised at NAMM.

I think the most logical solution for the middle pickup is the Bare Knuckle Half Note 90. That would make this a completely Bare Knuckle guitar, so maybe the pickups will work better together?

This would be a bit pricey though... the BK's are expensive! Would it be a good/better decision to go with a Lollar P90 Soapbar Style Pickup? This seems very nice as well.
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=201&Category_Code=P90-pickups

If you're worried about costs, keep in mind that they don't exactly give Lollars away, either.

You might want to go through some of the pickups GHS offers. High quality stuff in a variety of configurations that doesn't require a second mortgage to finance. I've used a number of their parts and have never been disappointed. Very pleasantly surprised is the more usual reaction. Pricewise, you can probably try 3 or 4 of their units for every one BK or Lollar, and you can often get different packages than usual to satisfy existing mounting arrangements. For instance, there are P90s, then humbuckers in P90 packaging, then humbuckers in jazzmaster packaging, and vice-versa, etc.. So, if you put in a P90 and it doesn't work well, you can trade it out for something else that will fit without modification.

Yes, but at least the Lollar is somewhat cheaper than the BK, and seems to have a bit more user experience and demos up on the web.

After finding that GFS really only has one P90 model, and listening to their own demo (couldn't find any others), I think the low price is too good to be true. Just didn't sound very good at all to me, and definitely seems like it would be difficult to fit a jazzy tone I am looking for.

On the other hand, it's looking like the Lollar P90 may be a very good option, as it sounds like what I want, from what I've heard on YouTube, and there happens to be an option to buy it specifically as a "middle" position pickup.
Still trying to find out if there are any good alternatives that might be a bit less costly, but still fat and jazzy.

What about a Seymour Duncan everything axe, set that would give you a range of tones and fit a traditional SSS pick guard and you know they will work together.

stratamania said:
What about a Seymour Duncan everything axe, set that would give you a range of tones and fit a traditional SSS pick guard and you know they will work together.
I thought the same way and built one. While it is OK, it just doesn't have the warmth I prefer.  :dontknow:

Ultimately, the way I got the closest to an everything axe in an SSS form factor was using Zexcoils! They have all the power of the Seymour Duncans, no noise, but more warmth and just an all around better sound. And, wired with all the split and blend options they have an even wider range of sounds than the SDs, at least to my ear.
:guitarplayer2:

For my needs, I don't think an SSS pickguard will ever satisfy. It's just too standard, too common, too much quack.
I've found myself to really be a P90 guy, so I need to have some P90's in there. I do know that the sound of single coil in the neck is something I really like, so I'll keep that. But at this point, I think a P90-P90-Single pickup configuration is the way to go.
As for Seymour Duncan, I think they do make some nice pups, but they seem a bit over-marketed to me. I just feel a bit safer with getting something from BK, or Lollar, or any of the slightly smaller companies, and getting a really legit sound.

I think the whole theory of pickups "working together" or not, might have a little bit of myth mixed in, but thats just my opinion.

I'm still open to other P90 suggestions though, If anybody has any.

Ken (TroubledTreble here) at Roadhouse will custom wind you a P90 very reasonably if you'd like. I've not tried one yet, but I think Bagman put a couple in one of his builds and was highly impressed.

New quick question: Should I opt to get the "recessed Wilkinson" trem pocket option?

It's no extra charge, and says it allows for better reverse-trem-bends.

Is there some disadvantage I should know about, or should I go for it?

The only downside to it I can think of is you'd pretty much be stuck with a floating trem. Not that that's a Bad Thing - quite the opposite if you ask me - but some guys like to set their trem up so it's firmly resting against the body at rest and is more likely to return to proper tune after a dive. But, Wilkies generally don't have a return to neutral problem to begin with, and if you want the ability to sharp the strings with the trem it has to float anyway. So, go for it.

Also, if you get a finished body from the Showcase, the recess is going to show raw wood after they route it. So, you may want to get some black dye or paint or something to knock that back a bit so it doesn't stand out.

JoshHPMusic said:
New quick question: Should I opt to get the "recessed Wilkinson" trem pocket option?

It's no extra charge, and says it allows for better reverse-trem-bends.

Is there some disadvantage I should know about, or should I go for it?

Go for it. If you later decide against it. You can always install a Tremol-No™.

Sounds good. Well the regular Wilkinson trems don't sit completely flat on the bodies anyways, so it doesn't seem like there should be a huge difference.
BTW, the whole tuning issue with floating trems could probably be fixed by the Tremsetter... as I mentioned before. If I ever need to, I'll get that "tremol-no" thing, but I don't really see a good reason.

I'm definitely custom-ordering the body, so the raw wood thing shouldn't be an issue.

You really want one of those Tremsetters, don't you? <grin>

Not all trems have problems. Wilkies and Floyds and anything like them are fine. It's mostly the 6-point Fender design that always needs some kind of attention/correction because it's a mechanically poor design. There are certainly plenty of other bad designs out there as well, but not that you can install a Tremsetter on.

Back