Cosmetic Surgery because Life happens.

Got everything together for a dry run to see if all fits and works. So far so good I think. The jack plate will be chrome in the final, but it hasn't arrived yet so I used a black one for now. Thought a little chrome accent under the knobs might help, not sure if I'll leave them there. May use different knobs too. Used the Bloodwood neck just to see how it looked and I kinda like it there. What I am wondering though is whether or not the hardware might look better in black, the chromes not bad though...

HIhSiB.jpg

Pir1fI.jpg

2TR7K9.jpg

CF7zNc.jpg

2eGOPO.jpg

pdrEvA.jpg

2B25TR.jpg

TrKj6C.jpg

. You get the idea anyway,  any comments are welcome as long as it's not my ex-wife .... :turtle: :turtle:

Looks great. I agree on the neck. that's a winner.

I like the chrome hardware. The washers under the knobs don't do anything either way but what may really look good is chrome knobs and switch tip. If you keep the black knobs, I'd take a look at making a plate to go under the controls, much like a Tele plate but slightly angled to include the toggle. Banana shaped so you can go bananas when you play. If you go with black, make it black chrome instead of just-plain-old-every-day black.

Rgand said:
Looks great. I agree on the neck. that's a winner.

I like the chrome hardware. The washers under the knobs don't do anything either way but what may really look good is chrome knobs and switch tip. If you keep the black knobs, I'd take a look at making a plate to go under the controls, much like a Tele plate but slightly angled to include the toggle. Banana shaped so you can go bananas when you play. If you go with black, make it black chrome instead of just-plain-old-every-day black.

Interesting, will definitely consider about the chrome knobs and tip. I thought about a plate under the controls, but didn't want to cover too much of the limba. I'll have to think about a small variation on a plate. Thanks for the suggestions.    :icon_thumright:

Extinguished Sun said:
That looks fantastic. I love a wild backstory.

Thank you, I just enjoy building them, but it's nice to be told you've done well . Yes the history on this one is strange, but unfortunately not unusual with humans. Oft-times we are our own worst enemy. Last I saw, your build is looking pretty good too..... :icon_thumright:

Mayfly said:
I like it!  I think black hardware though...

Thank you. You guys are making my decisions harder...LOL. Just kidding. I am actually kinda torn, both chrome and black look good....This is gonna take more heavy thought... :eek:ccasion14:

Rgand said:
Maybe you should photoshop a pic to see which would look better.

Good idea. I'll work on that while I engage in "heavy thought". Not too heavy though, or I won't remember what I decided tomorrow.  :doh:

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:
Maybe you should photoshop a pic to see which would look better.

Good idea. I'll work on that while I engage in "heavy thought". Not too heavy though, or I won't remember what I decided tomorrow.  :doh:
:laughing11:

That Tele looks great.
And I quite like the mix with chrome and black.
If you put some chrome nut and washer on the toggle switch it'll tie it up nicely with the knobs, I would imagine.
Whatever you decide you've got a killer looking guitar as it is! :eek:ccasion14:

I love this thing, I was thinking about it earlier.

It's so original, just like your last one. I wish I had the skills and tools to just make bodies like you do.

I hate teles, always have. I've loved both the teles you've made.

There's a rule I've tried to follow when building. Don't keep tools at the back of your bench, don't store things where you have to pass over the guitar to get them out, etc.
I forgot that rule last night, went to get some 6in long 3/8-16 carriage bolts for my sister and her friend to use on a swing set. The shelf is next to the bench, being tired and occasionally stupid, I swung my arm holding the box of ten of them over the tele body. The box that had woefully poor tape holding the bottom together. You get the idea.
So, spent today sanding and recoloring. The rest of the guitar is fine, I had taken everything apart again to finish my finishing. The original was a one off, didn't think I could duplicate it, so I went for more of a violin golden brown type of thing. I really like this guitar, but right now I just want to get the accursed thing done and out of my shop before anything else happens.
Anyway, this is what it is now........

0tcA39.jpg

Sorry to keep changing things up, but as the title says, life happens.. :doh: :doh:

I like the new look. Those carriage bolts just got you to change the look slightly. There are no accidents. I goofed up a body and had to do several things to make it usable. Things I wouldn't have considered otherwise. It came out great. That's the one in my avatar photo. :icon_thumright:

Rgand said:
I like the new look. Those carriage bolts just got you to change the look slightly. There are no accidents. I goofed up a body and had to do several things to make it usable. Things I wouldn't have considered otherwise. It came out great. That's the one in my avatar photo. :icon_thumright:

I kinda prefer it myself. I didn't want something that looked all the rest of the limba tops I see. I know what you mean though, sometimes what seems bad leads to something better that it was.      :icon_thumright:

It's unmistakably limba. Beautiful stuff. This altered finish still brings out that "limba-ness" nicely. It's a slight difference that I can't say I would have tried for fear of it not coming out right. But, it did. In spades. I hope you did the cover on the back, too.

Back