Cosmetic Surgery because Life happens.

PhilHill

Well Folks I spent some time shaking my head over this one, was better than crying at any rate. You may remember the BBQ Tele that I put together a little while back. Ended up selling it to an acquaintance of mine who plays in what, up until the Covid outbreak, is a fairly successful club band in Chicago. He and I made a deal that satisfied both of us and all was great. Was being the key word here.
Seems about a week ago he was taking a nap and awoke to all heck breaking loose. His wife, who comes from a well to do family and has an Executive position in a fairly large Corp. in the City, not to mention a heavy drinking problem, came home and decided to check his phone as she has trust issues. Well, the last txt.on his phone was from Susan, the wife's name is Mary, her reaction to this was to fly into a rage and grab the Telecaster which she then used to destroy a vintage Mesa Boogie amp. He got to the scene just as she took the last swing and passed out.
To make a long story short, He stopped off at my house on his way home from his Lawyer. Seems the Wife has a couple DUI's and has been in court more than once for drunk and disorderly. He's had enough. Anyway, He presented me with the remains of the Tele and told me I could do with it what I wanted, as his Lawyer informed him that she would have no problem getting him a settlement large enough to buy a new guitar, Amp, and a few other things. Ohh, and Susan, that's His Sister.
The neck is history, broken in two places with only the truss rod and the strings holding it together. But the body, while scarred badly on the front and less on the back is amazingly still in one piece, a testament to Warmoth's glue joints. The tuners are still okay and some how the bridge pickup survived but that's about it.
So I ran the body thru my planer and cleaned up the back without too much problem, but the front had to be taken down a good quarter inch to cleanup. Considering that and figuring that the poor thing had suffered undeservedly I decided to give it a new face. So I broke out my Limba stash and glued up a drop top for it.

v1ujOP.jpg

iZ0uWm.jpg

. This is still rough shape but with some Naptha on it to give an idea.

qbseFT.jpg

Shall see what happens as I go along. As I go through life, my hopes for the Human race go up and down............. :dontknow:

Not quite sure...but I think I see your friend splitting the sheets in that new grain.  If you look real close...yep it’s there.

That should be a spectacular Tele when you're done, the top is pretty sweet.... :icon_thumright:

People eh?
Different Strokes For Different Folks but I would have done my best to keep as much of the damage as possible!
The guitar deserves to keep its' scars.
Crashed my Bonneville many years ago. Never fixed the dented fuel tank. I have a scar and the bike has a scar.

Well, then. It looks like the new version will be a spectacular build. I look forward to seeing this completed.

Will you put the old parts back in it? Except the neck, of course.

DaveT said:
People eh?
Different Strokes For Different Folks but I would have done my best to keep as much of the damage as possible!
The guitar deserves to keep its' scars.
Crashed my Bonneville many years ago. Never fixed the dented fuel tank. I have a scar and the bike has a scar.

While I basically agree, unfortunately some of the damage would have interfered with mounting parts and proper operation.

Rgand said:
Well, then. It looks like the new version will be a spectacular build. I look forward to seeing this completed.

Probably use the old bridge pup. But the neck pup is bent into a v shape and the bridge itself looks like it went through a juice blender. The pots are both broken at the shaft and the control plate looks as bad as the bridge. Selector switch is just fine though.  :dontknow:

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:

Probably use the old bridge pup. But the neck pup is bent into a v shape and the bridge itself looks like it went through a juice blender. The pots are both broken at the shaft and the control plate looks as bad as the bridge. Selector switch is just fine though.  :dontknow:
Wow, what a demolition fest that was. Got a photo of it the way you got it back?

Mayfly said:
People are funny.  Not haha funny...  :)

Having had problems with self destructive behavior myself in the past, I kinda feel sorry for her. At the same time though she is apparently still in the denial phase, it's everybody else's problem not Hers. So she'll have to hit bottom before she can begin to climb up. Sad case.

Rgand said:
PhilHill said:
Rgand said:

Wow, what a demolition fest that was. Got a photo of it the way you got it back?

Unfortunately no. My phone choose that time to decide not to work properly, took it to the shop but they couldn't find anything wrong and now it does seem fine again, who knows? Ticked me off, but that's life...

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:
PhilHill said:
Rgand said:

Unfortunately no. My phone choose that time to decide not to work properly, took it to the shop but they couldn't find anything wrong and now it does seem fine again, who knows? Ticked me off, but that's life...
I understand that. My smart phone is kind of stupid these days. :laughing11:

PhilHill said:
pwrmac7600 said:
Please tell me it wasn't a mark 2 c+?!?!?!

Mark 1 from the late 70's, when they were still hand built.

oooo that hurts.  BUT!! Probably can fix it!  Does he care to send it up to Canada for a repair?

I'm not sure what He intends to do about the amp. I know he was more upset about it than the guitar in some ways, and I can understand why. The next time I see him I will pass along your suggestion though. Along with assurances of the quality of work he would get.

While the other two bodies sit with the oil hardening, I kept busy by continuing the resurection of the unfortunate Tele. We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better, stronger....Sorry, TV flashback. Anyway I sanded front and back and put a chamfer on the edges. Routed for pickups, decided since the bridge pickup survived I'd just put Tele pups back into it as I have another Tele neck pickup. Converted it to a rear route using templates I made for the job. Don't have any ash to use for a cover so will probably just go with a plastic one. So far, so good.

V64pZm.jpg

4vRuk6.jpg

Dq1jPr.jpg

SEoHuj.jpg

.  :turtle: :turtle:

That's looking mighty good! The TV reference is a fun one. Nice move to go with the rear rout. Is that a 30 degree or 45 degree chamfer?

Do you have enough of the top piece left over to make a cover for the back?

Back