Contoured heel

CD

Does it detract from the tone or sustain? It seems like a lot of wood to shave off where the neck connects to the body.

Yeah, that was kinda my fear when deciding my order, and why I opted to skip it the first time out, but recently while working on some repetitive figures high up on the fretboard, my hand started to cramp and the first thing that came to mind was, Man I wish I would have gotten the Contoured heel....... :laughing7:

CD said:
Does it detract from the tone or sustain? It seems like a lot of wood to shave off where the neck connects to the body.
The argument could be made that ANY wood taken away would detract from sustain and tone.

Almost all of my builds have a contoured heel. I've never lacked for tone or sustain in my opinion.

What if the wood you left by not getting a contoured heel only helped promote a tone frequency you didn't like? Hmmm....  :laughing7:

Gregg Stewart said:
What if the wood you left by not getting a contoured heel only helped promote a tone frequency you didn't like? Hmmm....  :laughing7:

Ouch, Gregg!  That made my head hurt!

I opted for the contoured heel, and honestly, it doesn't feel any different than a normal strat to me.

YMMV
-Rose

Do the neck bolts go in at an angle with the contoured heel? The picture that I saw looked like on side was sanded more than the other.

CD said:
Do the neck bolts go in at an angle with the contoured heel? The picture that I saw looked like on side was sanded more than the other.

No they don't go in at an angle, but you have to use two different sized screws.

Back