Considering building again - Eye Candy Inside

jeffreywt

I want a Warmoth strat with an OFR and EMG-81 at the bridge.

SZ8ZY.jpg

41tyx.jpg

Help me choose by either picking one of my mock-ups or any other ideas you have. I'm set on the details, I just need help choosing woods and colors (the fun part!)

Thanks!  :icon_thumright:

PS - I'm not set on maple fingerboard. I guess I need more mock-ups! If someone throws out an idea, i'll be happy to piece it together and post.

I like 'em all, except I'd lose the Maple unless there's an unfinished fingerboard on it. Finished fingerboards end up nasty-looking and feel funny while they get that way.

What about wenge?

There are several woods that do not require a finish. I like the idea of raw. Are they equal or what is preferred?

Here is a few Wenge and one with canary/pau ferro

hM0th.jpg

My personal preference would be to go with a higher contrast if you want to go with wenge - the wenge with a very dark body kinda loses the specialness of that dark, chocolatey lumber.

Also, I actually prefer the red flame body with the flame maple fingerboard.  Lower left in the first post.

jeffreywt said:
I want a Warmoth strat with an OFR and EMG-81 at the bridge.

SZ8ZY.jpg

41tyx.jpg

Help me choose by either picking one of my mock-ups or any other ideas you have. I'm set on the details, I just need help choosing woods and colors (the fun part!)

Thanks!  :icon_thumright:

PS - I'm not set on maple fingerboard. I guess I need more mock-ups! If someone throws out an idea, i'll be happy to piece it together and post.

LOVE the body on the 1st one in the 2nd row, but love the neck on the 2nd one in the 2nd row.  Unfortunately, I don't think they'd look good together.  It would kill me to NOT get that "red" body, but I guess if I were to see both of them in a store, I'd head for the 2nd one in the 2nd row first. 

...Ya know what, come to think of it, I'd add an ebony fretboard to the 1st one in the 2nd row, and that's the one I'd go for!  :headbang1:

Red is a hot color but, not one of my favorites. Even still, I had to do a mock-up in red, sharing the sentiment of some of you. I can agree that red is amazing but, I'm not sure I want it on my guitar. I hope that makes sense.

I think it's a crime that Warmoth puts gloss black on the backs of so many bodies.

Also, I know my examples have a pickguard covering a figured top. This too, should be illegal. I'm only buying something that is already top routed by Warmoth. No figured top will suffer by my hand. Rear route is not off the table.

jeffreywt said:
Red is a hot color but, not one of my favorites. Even still, I had to do a mock-up in red, sharing the sentiment of some of you. I can agree that red is amazing but, I'm not sure I want it on my guitar. I hope that makes sense.

I think it's a crime that Warmoth puts gloss black on the backs of so many bodies.

Also, I know my examples have a pickguard covering a figured top. This too, should be illegal. I'm only buying something that is already top routed by Warmoth. No figured top will suffer by my hand. Rear route is not off the table.

Then why'd you list it as a possibility?  :dontknow:

:eek:ccasion14:

jeffreywt said:

Not always. I have a Strat body similar to a couple you've picked out where they put a transparent dark brown on the back...

img_0634_Crop.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the best shot I have of the back...

img_0638_Sm.jpg

It's tough to see because of the reflections, but that's Swamp Ash under there.

Bottom left body
ps6298f.jpg

Plus this neck (goncalo)
VMS4726A.jpg

or (goncalo/pau ferro)
SN11508A.jpg

or (all rosewood)
VMS5226A.jpg

Tough call. Those are all beautiful necks.

Thing is, when you have a highly-figured and well-finished body like that you don't want anything taking any focus away from it. Plus, it starts to look too busy. You're better off with something a little more non-descript, like jet-black Ebony. That gives you a great feel, excellent wearability, as well as complementing the rest of the build while still exuding class.

All rosewood for that body. Or the classic Maple/Rosewood is preferable, for me. Takes the focus from the neck and to the guitar. It's like "THAT NECK IS REALLY PLAIN BUT DAMN THAT BODY IS SEXY" a little drunk, but there is my 2 cents.

Pau-Ferro / Ebony ..
Would look great  :glasses9:  feel good  :guitarplayer2:  on any of those bodies  :icon_thumright:

There are some other forums out there with the ability to +1 a particular thread.
+1 on the pics
+1 on engraved back neck plate
+1 on theme builds/matching wood combos

Typing on this thing is torture. Too many "AllOver30" bookmarks  :cool01:
Hehe, I guess you guys got more than just a thumbs up out of me  :icon_thumright:
Oh...and +1 on that purple/cream quilted tele in the Way HUGE respect for Warmoth thread....Insanity! :eek:

Back