Complete Fret Dressing

spauldingrules

How much (approximately) should a complete fret level and dressing cost?  I've never had one done before - and this is on a 6 month old lightly used Warmoth neck with 6105 fretwire.  Also, how much on a very used 10 year old tele?  Thanks!

TS

What makes you think you need it?  Got bad divots on the frets? 

Compound radius is going to cost more, as there is more to it.  That is, to level a compound radius neck you DO NOT use progressive radius blocks.  You DO use a single narrow straight block, and keep it parallel to the strings.  In other words... it does not just move up and down the length of the neck along its centerline, but along the centerline of each string instead.  The leveling process on that, is gonna run you more.

Straight radius necks, are less.

If you need a level - make sure the fretboard is level first, or as level as it can be, then level the frets, then recrown and polish them.  Think in terms of about three hours shop labor, at the going shop price... I cant see it running under $120, if the guitar-smith is decent.  Hacks do cheaper work.

But again, why the level?  Whats the underlying issue that a six month old neck needs a fret level?  Do you play like... six hours a day every day?

I was curious - I have one dead fret (11th on the high e ONLY).  The surrounding frets are fine and the rest of the strings at the same fret are no problem.  I know I just need to have one spot on one fret filed a little, but I was just curious as to what a job like this should cost.  I'll probably just end up filing it down a little with some 400 grit paper and see if that does the trick.  Any ideas?

I usually bring a completed guitar for a final set-up to a guitar tech. (usually between 40 and 60 $)
when there is some minor fret work to be done, they usually don't charge extra for it

mnor fret work - a sharp end, a little polish (shouldn't need it) is one thing

a level and recrown is quite another.

If you have ONE fret buzzing, esp on a high E  (or low E) then its many times the fret right next to it toward the bridge that is high, and slightly unseated.  Many times you can rap it back into place - AFTER DETERMINING ITS AN UNSEATED FRET.  Depends on how it was put in to start with, but... tapping it back with a plastic mallet, it will spring up a bit... water thin super glue under the fret, letting it fill the crack, then clamp it TIGHT with caul (insulated with wax paper).  Let that dry a day, and see how the improvement is, after you clean up the excess glue.

Also, ONE fret thats bad could be just a worn/kinked string.  You wont feel it, but a string that has wear can cause a buzz.

Frets are seated very well. do you recommend sanding fret down with fine paper to remove slight buzzez. Even though the buzz isn't all the bad, BUT I CAN TELL.... maily when i do bends it's apparent on the high E string only,  say 12th- 14th frets. I know it's very minor and  i don't on plan on taking it to get a full dressing on this stock neck for my mexi tele cause i got a new neck from Warmoth coming.... a Tele maple/ebony. :cool01: But for know til the new one comes in and for future knowledge i would like to know how to go about such a minor fix.

Your knowledge is very much appreciated!!! :eek:ccasion14:

ELECTRIC FUNERAL said:
Frets are seated very well. do you recommend sanding fret down with fine paper to remove slight buzzez. Even though the buzz isn't all the bad, BUT I CAN TELL.... maily when i do bends it's apparent on the high E string only,  say 12th- 14th frets. I know it's very minor and  i don't on plan on taking it to get a full dressing on this stock neck for my mexi tele cause i got a new neck from Warmoth coming.... a Tele maple/ebony. :cool01: But for know til the new one comes in and for future knowledge i would like to know how to go about such a minor fix.

Your knowledge is very much appreciated!!! :eek:ccasion14:

Buzzing during bending is usually a sign that the string elevation is too low.  Raise it.  Dont start sanding on anything you do not have a full comprehension of.

Back