combo amp suggestions..

joshkava

new or used.. dont care.. need to spend well under 1000

haven't had an amp in years since i quit my last band.. now need one loud enough to play with a drummer...

suggestions?? thanks guys!

i should say that I like nice distortion.. tthe rectifier settings on the roland modeling amps is yummy.. also a good clean sound..

would a larger roland cube be good?

I like the Roland cubes, cheap too. I would check out the Vox Valvetronix ones, they sound a little more organic.

Ya, the Vox Valvetronix are nice, I use the Valvetronix XL series, and it's amazing, the other ones I'm not sure about.

Those Roland cubes are amazing. When I take my guitar lesson I use one in my teacher's room, but when we have our weekly after-hours jam for his top students I play through a Peavey Classic 30 out in the front of the shop. I hate it. I prefer the cube.

That being said, if you're looking for a variety of heavy, tight distortion sounds I'd go for a modeling amp... either one of Line 6's many offerings or a Valvetronix (I think the Valvetronix XT is geared more towards the modern high-gain sound).

Another good option would be a 30W tube amp and 1 really good distortion pedal.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BH15112.htm , and add good tubes.
Jackthehack has one, says it is as good as any boutique amp he's heard. I have the 5w head version with a 1x12 cab and a celestion, and I loooove it.

I just came back from guitar center, I was trying out some of their $100.00 fender squires ( sometimes you can find a real nice one, I didn't this time)  anyway I was playen through a fender modeling amp that sounded very good.

Normally a $750.00 amp on sale for about $379 i think. I'm not a big fan of modeling amps, But I almost bought it.

Sorry I wish I'd got the model number, but I wasn't expecting your post.

I just re-read and maybe you're not looking for over-the-top gain. When a lot of people around here talk about "nice distortion", they're thinking metal. Personally, I'm on the lighter, crunchier vintage side of things. I assumed you were talking about modern high-gain though. So perhaps you could clarify what style you want?

I have the Traynor YCV20WR amp and love it. The drive channel is okay (perhaps some different tubes would improve it), but the clean channel is great. With my gear (Line 6 M13 and a few homemade pedals---modified Marshall Shredmaster copy, a compressor, and an envelope filter) it can stay nice and glassy for my Egde-like delays or go to all out rock with the Shredmaster or other dists in the M13. I seriously love this amp. For reference, my previous rig was a Line 6 Vetta II I had for 5 years.

Traynor also has 40 W, 50 W, and 80 W models. Make no mistake though---my 18W gets over drums no problem. Tube power is loud, and the 12" speaker helps as well. If I were playing metal, it would probably be a different story. But for anything from blues to hard rock it does just fine. Playing live, we mic anyway, but I get all my stage volume from the amp. Now if you want to keep perfect jazz cleans and get over drums, you'd probably want the 40 W. Speaker size is a big factor too... I would not go for anything other than a 12".

:eek:ccasion14: on Traynor. I've got the YCV50. Don't get it unless you're planning to play stadiums unmic'd. Way too much power for me but it sounds amazing anyway.

Need more data input, new or used under a yard can yield a ton of different possibilities:

1.) What kind of music do you play?
2.) How loud is the rest of the band, i.e., what amplification are they using?
3.) Where will you play? What is the typical and largest venue?

I'd recommend the valvetronix myself.  I get lots of compliments on its tone.  And it's pretty loud.  It's A tube/solid state hybrid if I remember correctly.

Tempest said:
I'd recommend the valvetronix myself.  I get lots of compliments on its tone.  And it's pretty loud.  It's A tube/solid state hybrid if I remember correctly.

It's got a tube in the preamp. They use it to model the configuration of the power amp of the selected model (Class A, B, A/B, etc.) Sounds like a good idea---and they do sound pretty good---but gosh, I just can't stand 12AX7 tube breakup. Power tubes!!!

The new Line 6 Spider Valve actually uses tubes in both it's modeling preamp and as the power stage.

I am in love with my Mesa Boogie F30 combo.  You can pick one up for USD$550-700 used (Mesa discontinued the F series to unleash the Express amps on us).  It's a straight-ahead 1x12 tube combo, two channels plus a lead-channel "contour" feature that monkeys with the EQ.  It runs two EL84s in the power stage.  Because of the EL84s, the clean channel can really warm up and get some nice soft clipping with the gain knob turned up high.

Totally useful feature that many switching combos (I mean YOU, Fender Hotrod line) don't have:  Separate controls for reverb on each channel.  There's a buffered effects loop, the other usual stuff.  The low end of the gain knob's travel on the lead channel gives a good crunch sound that cleans up with the guitar volume knob, while at the high end of the gain knob's travel it's very very distorted - kinda Marshall-y.  Also VERY loud for a 30 watt class AB combo, and built like a tank.

Good luck.

bagman

Back