combining tone woods

DocNrock

Master Member
Has anyone put a padouk neck on a swamp ash body?  If so, were you satisfied with the tone? 

Another thought is a wenge neck on a swamp ash body.  Again, has anyone done this?

:rock-on:

I have done the Swamp Ash - Wenge/Ebony thing! and yes it works! great tone, great sustain! feels amazing!
currently my favorite guitar!

Ashwenge006.jpg

Ashwenge013.jpg

What sort of tone are you looking for?  

For any respondants, it would be good to know what sort of tonality you were trying to get.  

Different goals, different levels of satisfaction.

oops..these pictures are old.. there are screws in the pickguard now  :icon_biggrin:

Nice strat there.  What pups are in it?  How does it sound in a high gain amp?  clean amp?  crunch?  Agree with Wyliee, here.

can't answer the question now but i'll let ya know about the paduk in about 10 weeks. going for a white blond 7/8 strat with a paduk neck and satine finger board.

Yes, Lil Killers.. I believe 6s and 10 and 15k
It was my plan to swap them out for something else at a later point, but they sound great for the money!

If you're looking for an exotic raw neck to put on a swamp ash body, don't over look Canary; with an ebony board it pretty much dupes maple tone-wise...

I thought of canary, but it does not seem to be listed in the choice of woods for this particular neck.  However, I had decided upon a canary fingerboard.

DocNrock said:
I thought of canary, but it does not seem to be listed in the choice of woods for this particular neck.  However, I had decided upon a canary fingerboard.

Call/email Warmoth; I've bought both Fender style and Warmoth style (scarf joint/angled) necks in Canary, so I think you can order pretty much anything other than a Total Vintage in Canary. They don't have every exotic combo listed in the neck/wood price grids. You'll probably have to custom order, they put Canary necks in a variety of shape flavors up in the Showcase, but they tend to disappear as fast as they go up. They tend to run around the $339-$379 range unless you get an upcharge quality fretboard, then a bit more.

Here is what I am thinking.  I posted a similar idea elsewhere on this board and some thought it was a bit over the top.  It kind of is, but it is intended to be an "over the top guitar."  I'm planning a V2 guitar that likely will only see high gain applications.  I want it to look heavy metal, and I wanted to use natural wood colors and patterns to achieve that, rather than some graphic.  Of course, I want the tone to be there, as well.  Here is my thought:

V2 body, either swamp ash or mahogany, with a quilt maple top finished in bengal burst.  Jackson-style reverse headstock neck made of padouk for its red color and a canary fingerboard which would bring the bengal burst and the padouk coloring together.  Finally a quilt veneer on the headstock finished in a matching bengal burst.  Black binding on the neck with black corian sharkstooth inlays.  Black hardware.  DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and a Humbucker from hell (or Air Norton) in the neck slot.

So, I guess my question has evolved into swamp ash or mahogany for the body.

Back