Chunk-E-Caster

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
DocNrock said:
Another thought would be gold hardware.  Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.

Even least intrusive (and cheaper) might be to get chrome and gold pup rings for the neck pup and see how they look on the wood.
Do like Gregg did on his LP, one gold one chrome.....Guess he couldn't make up his mind.... :toothy12:

Sorry, that may work for him, but not for me.  Look at it this way, you might get an order for yet another plate.
:eek:.......what flavor might it be, chrome or gold....? :icon_scratch:

Don't know yet.  I'll have to see what the other colors look like. 
:cool01:

Now that I take a step back after a couple of days, given the tangerine burst, I'm thinking gold might be the way to go.  Any votes for that?

I have to say Doc...that thar Tele looks great the way it is.  Keep the black if your asking my opinion!

guitlouie said:
I have to say Doc...that thar Tele looks great the way it is.  Keep the black if your asking my opinion!

Thanks Guitlouie.  I've ordered pup rings in gold and chrome so that I can compare.  You'll note this build doesn't have the Warmoth decal on the headstock yet.  This is why.

I think gold might be camoflauged by the orange, don't know really it's hard to say..... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
I think gold might be camoflauged by the orange, don't know really it's hard to say..... :dontknow:

Yeah I think too (beside looking only in my memory, those sites to put pics is not alowed to open here on work)

Would not have a contrast (as a gold top LP with gold hardware, over-charged looking)

Sorry I'm late to the thread...that's a superb lookin' Tele!

Reminds me of the Cropper model from P****vey, except MUCH nicer!

Great looking Tele.  Not a fan of black hardware tho.  I agree that gold would get lost in the tangerine finish.  Go with the chrome.  I really wish that all of the hardware was available in a brushed chrome or a satin finish...This way the flash from the hardware wouldn't take away from the finish..

Thanks all for the kind words!  Gold is clearly out.  I agree, it would get washed out.  I'm still wondering about chrome, though...

And to think that body came out of the "Screamin Deals" section.

Update:  the tone was a bit "ice-pickey" for me in the upper registers.  I swapped out the pots for 250k versions, and the cap for 0.047uf.  The deep tone is the same, but the ice pick is gone.  Also, the string tree and W logo are installed.  Pics to follow.

Here are the final pics:

The finished headstock:

1head.jpg

The kingwood fingerboard:

1king.jpg

And the whole kit 'n kaboodle (sp?):

1done.jpg

:rock-on:

NonsenseTele said:
Looks very nice!

The chrome/nickel would let it more traditional, is it what you're wishing?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure.  Now I like it with the black.  I think it stays like this.  :icon_biggrin:

Love the birdseye figuring in the head stock....
I know that the 250K pots will cut down on the high end, is that what the higher value caps do as well??
I have a strst that has been mt experimental guitar for years.  I put a SD little '59er in the bridge and it too sounds a bit harsh to my ears.  Changing the cap will help to remove that harsh, brittle, "ice picky" tone??

Fish said:
Love the birdseye figuring in the head stock....
I know that the 250K pots will cut down on the high end, is that what the higher value caps do as well??
I have a strst that has been mt experimental guitar for years.  I put a SD little '59er in the bridge and it too sounds a bit harsh to my ears.  Changing the cap will help to remove that harsh, brittle, "ice picky" tone??

The cap functions as a frequency filter.  The higher value passes lower frequencies and filters out the highs. 

Well, I tried gold and silver up against the body.  I guess my color blindness is showing itself, because I think the gold with the black pups looks good.  That said, I changed all the hardware for gold.  Love it even more!

Back