Chords on Scalloped necks???

Mahler

Hey guys,
just wondering, what's it like playing chords on a scalloped neck. Does it give you any trouble or is it just like on a non-scalloped neck?
I personally think that I would push to hard and make the whole chord sharp...but thats just me.
Also, how hard to you have to push down to touch the wood?

I have only played a 1/2 scallope ie. scalloped from 12 down, chords are no different and to be honest I can't say even when I squash the strings I cant make them go sharp. It just makes my fingers hurt..

exalted said:
That's not how scalloped frets work.

The point is that you DON'T have to touch the wood.

Yes I know you don't touch the wood when your playing, but what I'm asking is, is it possible to touch the wood without breaking the string or something. If so, How hard do you have to push the string to touch the wood.

nathana said:
Max said:
Hey, Bob... That's not a half scallop. More of a 40-something% scallop.

Why, cause it's a 22 fret neck? Oh hush  :eek:

No, No it's not, :glasses9: it 50%  :eek:ccasion14: 11standard, 11 scooped out.... that makes 1/2 baby...

and at least on the bottom 1/2 there is no way even with 9's that you are going to hit wood w/o slitting your finger unless you have it tuned three steps down or something

I have pretty strong hands, and I don't think I could squeeze the strings hard enough to make any string from a set of 10's touch the wood. It's much harder to exert a squeezing force as your hand gets more closed-up. That's not the point of a scalloped board at all - you still bend the strings sideways, you just have complete control over each note because your fingers won't slip off. Think of how far you have to bend a string sideways to raise it one and a half steps - the physics would be the same.

the scalloped neck is in reallity a much lighter touch. far easyer to bend + hammer on pull off , for chords near the nut It might require some getting use to, there's only one way to find out if you like it... try one for a while, ie not just 5 min at the guitar get.. try one for a month or so.

Mahler said:
exalted said:
That's not how scalloped frets work.

The point is that you DON'T have to touch the wood.

Yes I know you don't touch the wood when your playing, but what I'm asking is, is it possible to touch the wood without breaking the string or something. If so, How hard do you have to push the string to touch the wood.

Not unless you're using rubber bands as strings, or maybe a set of 8s tuned a couple steps down! What brought on that question?

Also, yes, you might end up pushing too hard at first and going out of tune (but not unless you ALREADY have that problem, remember - even with short frets the string doesn't actuallytouch the wood, so you will already be having this problem if your technique is bad - having a deeper gap under the string isn't going to make you start pressing harder than you already do), but it does force you to think about pressure more often and will end up giving you better technique, and less nerve injuries in the longer run too.

yngwie malmsteen uses huge frets, scalloped boards, size eight strings, and tunes a half step down... if anybody has perfect technique it's him...

I would think for chords you may end up bending the chord by sideways movement because you don't hit any wood,, but thats pushing it..

rockskate4x said:
yngwie malmsteen uses huge frets, scalloped boards, size eight strings, and tunes a half step down... if anybody has perfect technique it's him...

8s, downtuned?  Jeez, what a wuss.  :toothy10:  His technique is pretty damn good though.  :icon_thumright:

dbw said:
rockskate4x said:

8s, downtuned?  Jeez, what a wuss.   :toothy10:  His technique is pretty damn good though.   :icon_thumright:

He likes wide bends - I think he goes to much thicker than normal low strings though, like a heavey bottom light top set but a little bit more extreme of a variety of gauges. He might be able to push that 8 down to the wood, but who knows why one earth he'd want to. Only someone with that kind of technique could get away with such loose strings and stay in tune.

Back