chopping a strat headstock into the old wolfgang shape.....

Sorry, Dmraco, didn't save source files, so I won't be able to change the cut, but I can move the tuner holes.

Besides, I think that the 5th tuner hole needs to be filled for the shape to look right.

I always like the EB 4+2 headstock, it's kinda like a shortened strat headstock. But I think I like the Wolgang headstock better, so I'd vote for pointy. But I do kinda like the older "scooped" version of the wolfgang.... :dontknow:

Max said:
Sorry, Dmraco, didn't save source files, so I won't be able to change the cut, but I can move the tuner holes.

Besides, I think that the 5th tuner hole needs to be filled for the shape to look right.
I kinda agree with you Max, it does look a bit better by filling in the old hole, but your string alignment is off a bit. The strings should be aligned to the center of the tuner hole...

dmraco said:
max...can you re-draw with the cut not effecting the 5th tuner hole AND moving 1 and 2 in a bit allow better alignment...... :laughing8:

Just remember USAG still makes a EVH... :toothy12:

I wonder if a WARMOTH neck will bolt right up to that body?? :sign13:
There's several different company's that still make the old EB style body, and most I've seen use the same Fender spec neck pocket...

DangerousR6 said:
Max said:

I kinda agree with you Max, it does look a bit better by filling in the old hole, but your string alignment is off a bit. The strings should be aligned to the center of the tuner hole...
Really? The strings don't come out at the center, so why would the lines be drawn there?

Max said:
DangerousR6 said:
Max said:

Really? The strings don't come out at the center, so why would the lines be drawn there?
Where's the hole in the tuner stem.....In the center of the stem.... :doh:

Max said:

I like your 1st version...move the 1st and 2nd toward the centerline, not up the side...ya know what I mean??

fender-1978-black-precision-bass-headstock.JPG

Maybe I can show what I mean... The strings, once wrapped, leave the tuners on the right side of the shaft, see?

So, I just thought of something, I haven't bought the tuning heads yet, but I'm pretty sure the headstock is drilled for Sperzel locking tuners, I'm wondering if I'll run into a problem, since I'm going to have to buy a set of 6-in-line, can I just flip the other 2 upside-down for the bottom ones? The headstock from behind is going to look weird...

metalman22105 said:
So, I just thought of something, I haven't bought the tuning heads yet, but I'm pretty sure the headstock is drilled for Sperzel locking tuners, I'm wondering if I'll run into a problem, since I'm going to have to buy a set of 6-in-line, can I just flip the other 2 upside-down for the bottom ones? The headstock from behind is going to look weird...
I'm not sure that will work, you may have to see if you can find a place to buy singles and get 2 for the right side. Like from a 3+3 set, with 3 left and 3 right... :dontknow:

You should buy 2 extra tuners for the bottom side of the headstock,  it's gonna look cheap and dumb if you try to use 6 inline tuners

DangerousR6 said:
metalman22105 said:
I'm not sure that will work, you may have to see if you can find a place to buy singles and get 2 for the right side. Like from a 3+3 set, with 3 left and 3 right... :dontknow:

I hear that the Sperzels are reversible.  Might need a trip to the Sperzel web site to confirm...

mayfly said:
DangerousR6 said:
metalman22105 said:

I hear that the Sperzels are reversible.   Might need a trip to the Sperzel web site to confirm...
Hmmmmmm, I did not know that....

Carry on.... :icon_biggrin:

Sperzels are very easy to change.  Just unscrew the button (the part that you twist to tune), slide it off, slide off the spacer and the worm gear pulls out from the bottom.  Switch it to the other side and reassemble and you're set.  I had a 3x3 set that is now on a 6-inline headstock.  The buttons don't look right, but they were free and I wanted to replace some non-locking tuners, so what do you do.

Awesome! I just checked out the sperzels, it seems they are totally reversible, so problem solved!

Back