Cherry Burst Finish on Non maple top?

Volitions Advocate

Does anybody think this will look good?

I'm going to put in a insurance claim for my stolen guitar but I dont want to build the same one again.  Maybe a few years down the road when I get over it I'll build another dragonburst to replace it with, but for now if I get a new guitar I dont want it to remind me of the old one.

The thing is I don't know how sly I can be with the insurance company.  We've already argued with them that replacement costs would include labour to put it together, and they agreed with us.  I"m just trying to figure out if I can slide past them with a different kind of lamtop than what I originally had so long as the body is the same wood type.  I know I'd love to have a Quilt maple top with that radical cherry burst finish.  But I'm a little worried about what It might look like on a non maple top. like black korina.  And also a question for guys at warmoth.  Are ALL quilt tops now DL?  Not that i mind i think its a great idea for saving the rare wood. but if i get a dl lamtop i have to get it with binding.. and I dont want binding..  so where do i go from there?

anyway... would this finish look good on this body?
PS2832A.jpg
LPC102A.jpg

I'm thinking it wouldn't really do it justice because you wouldn't have the black 3D stuff in the middle...  unless maybe you coudl really make the grain pop out at you..

The DL lam tops have to have a binding to hide the additional line between the two pieces of the laminate top, also the coloration of the two pieces may not be consistant. One of the Warmoth employees will have to answer the question about whether they have any non-DL quilt available thick enough for a regular lam top, but if they did I would imagine it would be posted under the "pick your own" lam top section, and none are...

Flame maple would be another option, but I think that binding looks good on an LP carve top

Volitions Advocate said:
Does anybody think this will look good?

I'm thinking it wouldn't really do it justice because you wouldn't have the black 3D stuff in the middle...  unless maybe you coudl really make the grain pop out at you..

I think it would look a little like this:

<Image removed>

Not the greatest artwork, but it should give you an idea.  My opinion is that this body really wants a clear coat or maybe a tinted clear, but that a burst will obscure some of the best visual aspects of the wood.

JBD

I think it would look pretty cool, although rather pinkish.  I'm all for doing something other than the more "traditional" finishes, such as tobacco burst, or black-brown-yellow burst.  That's why I liked the dragonburst on the korina so much.

Sir SchmoopY said:
you need black grain filler, and a darker burst, dark dark dark red.

Yes, black grain fill would improve the look.  I'll try it at home.  I can simulate a grain fill effect.
JBD

red king said:
Sorry to be dumb....what is "DL"

thanks,

R.

double laminate. for more info look on the warmoth site. look first at the les paul carved top spec sheet. there you can find all the info you need.

ognolman said:
Sir SchmoopY said:
you need black grain filler, and a darker burst, dark dark dark red.

Yes, black grain fill would improve the look.  I'll try it at home.  I can simulate a grain fill effect.
JBD

This looks better to me.  I tried simulating black grain fill and succeeded a little, I think:

<Image removed>

JBD

And another.  "Bloodburst?"  :toothy12:  ...Or maybe "Medium-rare-burst"...

<Image removed>

JBD

ognolman said:
LOL, it looks like something you'd find in an evidence room.

Seriously, though, are these things useful at all?  I know they aren't the greatest works of art, but does it help you envision a final product?  Or am I destroying your ideas about what it could look like??

JBD

i dunno.... i mean it doesn't have to be maple to look good right?
I"ve never been a huge fan of flame maple.  but then again all i've ever seen on flame maple are your traditional cherry and tobacco bursts which is a little 60s for me.  What I like to see are those deep colors.. I'd say bright but thats not the word.  deep is definately the word I"m looking for.  a deep blood/wine red. thats why i liked the dragon burst so much on the korina. as opposed to the quilt.  I think it looks kind of gay on the quilt personally.  So i dunno... I'm thinking it might look a little too pink without the 3d effect that the maple gives it.  On the other hand it might just work....    I'm really torn.

I could just go with a plain flame top.  but without paying extra for the "choose your own" who knows what it'll look like... and those black cherry bursts on the showcase all look so different.

I make these photos on my monitor at work and they look great, but I look at them at home and they don't look as good...

I guess it's a gamma thing.

JBD

Back