Cherry Burst Finish on Non maple top?

ognolman said:
I make these photos on my monitor at work and they look great, but I look at them at home and they don't look as good...

I guess it's a gamma thing.

JBD

could you possibly show me what that same korina top would look like with black grain filler and painted trans black? I keep having the same evil thoughts about the perfect bass.

If your looking for a deeper color, you could try a fireburst.  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?itemNumber=VIPP118

Are you talking about the dragon burst guitar that has been stolen? Personally I tnhink that guitar was amazing and looked far better than what you could do with this colour on Black Korina.

It may seem boring but if I were you I would rebuild what you did first time round. Maybe try an exotic neck or something????

i'm still a little too pissed off about it to rebuild the same guitar over again.

I've actually been thinking about it lately and I might just scrap building another LP to take its place and just go ahead with my Jazzmaster project and save the money to buy a new body for my tele.

There is no reason to build the guitar again because you can't really do it. Give it time.... go on with your other projects and enjoy guitar playing. Your LP looked so unique so maybe you 'll get lucky and take it back. If not, in a few years you will know if you can live without a LP and you will decide (or not) for another LP assmbling. Even with this choice I wouldn't build the same instrument. Every guitar is unique, no reason to have a clone.

Volitions Advocate said:
i'm still a little too pissed off about it to rebuild the same guitar over again.

I've actually been thinking about it lately and I might just scrap building another LP to take its place and just go ahead with my Jazzmaster project and save the money to buy a new body for my tele.

I completely understand dude. Dragonburst Jazzmaster perhaps!??? You never know, you may still be reunited with your LP.

well originally I wanted a Jazzmaster w/ Blue Sparkle and a pearloid pickguiard.  But I think maybe I'll just go with a Trans blue on some nice Figured Korina.  Could look awesome.

My plan was to do a Jazzmaster that was really a souped up superstrat.

Korina Body w/ Maple neck (Reverse CBS)  the body some form of blue with a pearloid pick guard.
A nice fat SD humbucker in the bridge.  or maybe one of those BBQ pups people have been raving about here on the forum. A lipstick in the middle and  P90 in the neck. with a 7 way switch to do all the pup/coiltap combos
or maybe just a 5 way and have the toggle switch at the top be for coiltapping.

not sure how to do it.  But I only need one volume and one tone.  I still dont entirely understand how the knobs on a strat work.

might save enough money to buy this showcase body for my tele in the process.  Then i'd have my B.Ch.Brst guitar.  Anybody know if my bridge would work on that body?
Do you have to mount P90s to the wood directly even with a pickguard? or do they still mount to the pickguard?

PT820a.jpg
n517473612_25154_7633.jpg

I dunno if this helps, but...  When Jack was building his Korina Caster with the quilt top, he tried a multitude of finishing options.  There was a lot of failure to get what he was looking for, but a lot if info on how the different finishing options behaved.  His comment about Cherry dyes is that they made the quilt look like Salmon.  After looking through a lot of the dyes on the market, it is kinda true depending on the product at hand.  The Cherry colors have a pink aspect to them.  I was kinda turned off by using those colors after reading/seeing what Jack did, and how CB made the blue BFG tele.

All of that being said, Warmoth doesn't seem to have the same finishing issues that us DIY'ers do.  I don't know about the bursted Les Paul posted earlier.  It looks like it is a peach burst from the center color, on my monitor at least.  Also Korina has a great look with all of the black streaking.  You could just go with a scarlet color and a black burst to get what you are looking for.  The random black sections of the wood adding a bit of Mother Nature's Voodoo to it.

As far as P90's, I always though that there were two screws between the pole pieces that screwed them into the body.  Might be a "Hardware" question.
Patrick

A few notes...

Some of the finishes listed above, like the Black Cherry Burst and Fireburst, are actually bursts over dye jobs and cannot be applied to anything but figured maple tops.

P90 mount directly to wood even with a pickguard, pickguard simply has a whole cut through it without smaller PU mounting holes for screws.

That Tele is drilled for either a Vintage Tele or Gotoh Tele. If you want to mount a P90 in that body you'd need to get the bridge PU re-routed to HB, get a Gotoh Tele HB bridge and use an HB form factor P90 like an SD Phat Cat or an RG Bastard

Also I don't think you will be able to get the "Deluxe" controls in your current Tele to work in a standard Tele body. 

Volitions Advocate said:
well originally I wanted a Jazzmaster w/ Blue Sparkle and a pearloid pickguiard.  But I think maybe I'll just go with a Trans blue on some nice Figured Korina.  Could look awesome.
Sparkle Jazzmasters look AWESOME :blob7: Do it like you have planned.
The guitar you mentioned (same color-same pickup configuration) is in the "Guitarist" issue (March 1998) made from the Fender custom shop for an editor of the mag.

guitlouie said:
Also I don't think you will be able to get the "Deluxe" controls in your current Tele to work in a standard Tele body. 

Au Contraire... If you order rear-route you can get LP style control routes for an upcharge, Tele below is routed for Gotoh 510 wraparound and LP controls:

54GT2.jpg

Yeah, I meant  the cherryburst one he had pictured with the hotdog route.

yeah. i know. I'm not too thrilled with the deluxe style wiring on my tele.  the pickguard covers too much of the guitar too.

I was going to go with a traditional tele setup except with P90s.

Jack: are you saying I wouldnt' be able to mount those P90s  i have in my tele in that Showcase body even if i Got them to re route the pup routes?

jackthehack said:
guitlouie said:

EN Contraire... If you order rear-route you can get LP style control routes for an upcharge, Tele below is routed for Gotoh 510 wraparound and LP controls:

54GT2.jpg

"Jack: are you saying I wouldnt' be able to mount those P90s  i have in my tele in that Showcase body even if i Got them to re route the pup routes?"

Those are oddball, appear to be P90s in a Mini-HB form factor. You could get the neck pickup routed that way and mount in the pickguard, but I'm unaware of any available Tele bridge for mini-HB form factor. If the mounting screws lined up on a Gotoh Tele HB bridge it would leave gaps on either side. So yes to neck PU, no to bridge if you want to use that Showcase body.

Sir SchmoopY said:
could you possibly show me what that same korina top would look like with black grain filler and painted trans black? I keep having the same evil thoughts about the perfect bass.

Sorry, Schmoopy...  I'm a little behind the power curve here, but is this what you mean?

<Image removed>

I know Jack said that it wouldn't work, but I had already done the thing...

JBD

Back