Chambered Strat Vs Chambered VIP

AToE

Alright, question for the more experienced members - has anyone found there to be a major tonal difference between the chambered strats and the chambered VIPs? I'm wondering which sounds more like your standard hollow-body tone and which is closer to a standard solid-body sound (obviously there are a lot of other variables that come into play here like wood choice, and neck woods and so forth, which is why I'm looking for a variety of opinions for people who have played a lot of these guitars).

On the one hand, the VIP has larger chambers, which I would guess leads to a more "hollow" tone, but on the other hand, it has a WAY thicker top than the strat, so maybe the opposite it true.  :icon_scratch:

I'm having a hard time picking between those two bodies, so any opinions between the two would be super-appreciated.

ask me in 2 weeks!
I will be able to compare a hollow korina vip to a hollow korina strat!

I have heard that the thicker carved top will reduce some of the 'hollow' effect.

That should be a pretty good comparison indeed! I'll bump in a couple weeks then, thanks,

I've heard that some chambered bodies are heaps more resonant and 'Alive' sounding, I've often thought though it could have opposite effects, It might sound drained and yucky ( From my theory: Less = Less)

But in short, I thought chambering was just a way to make a guitar lighter, which is also a great upside sometimes.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I've heard that some chambered bodies are heaps more resonant and 'Alive' sounding, I've often thought though it could have opposite effects, It might sound drained and yucky ( From my theory: Less = Less)

But in short, I thought chambering was just a way to make a guitar lighter, which is also a great upside sometimes.

Most definitely not just a way to make it lighter. It will change the tone. Gibson actually started drilling some "reliefs" in their LP bodies some time ago---not true chambers, just sloppy hits with a router. Their purpose was solely to save weight, but there's actually a lot of Gibson fans that don't like the tone of these. On the other hand, they do make very limited models with intentionally placed tone chambers, which sound much more open and airy. I think in general the same thing is said of Warmoth's chambered solid bodies---more open tone.

I notice a small difference with my chambered LP - but not enough to say that it sounds like a hollow bodied guitar. It sounds like a solid body guitar to me. I do think it resonates more than solid mahogany body. You can feel the vibrations and I feel like it's louder when not plugged in. It's hard to describe exactly what it does to the sound. I don't think it's a huge difference but there is a difference.

It doesn't make it sound like a hollow body.  Like GoDrex said, it definitely resonates more than a solid body and you can easily notice that when it isn't plugged in.  To me they sound a bit brighter (not the correct word but I can't seem to figure one out right now) than a solid body.  To put it another way, If I were going to be playing a modern high gain amp, I think that a solid body would better suit that sound better.  By no means do they sound bad, just different.  When you are not plugged in they are impressive how different, in a good way, they sound.
Patrick

Thanks, I've got a pretty good idea how chambered bodies usually sound different than a solid body, but I'm more curious as to which body style - the strat or the VIP- shows this difference more. In other words, which chambered body sounds more like a solid body?

Marko said:
ask me in 2 weeks!
I will be able to compare a hollow korina vip to a hollow korina strat!

I have heard that the thicker carved top will reduce some of the 'hollow' effect.

OK Marko, it's been about two weeks.  :laughing7:

I have a bk chambered Strat and will soon be assembling a chambered bk VIP.  I too will have a comparison, however the Strat has single coils and the VIP humbuckers.

won't be long now!
the oil has cured now, all we need is some fine sanding paper to smooth it out..
one problem... aparently, all the local scouts have bought all the available fine (1000, 1500, 2000 grit) sandpaper to finish them little wooden cars  :tard: :sad1: :-\
so we are waiting for the shops to restock.

we've looked everywhere for that danged paper.. my roomie works at a cabinet shop, and if his boss can't find me some, I'm gonna just order it off the web  :sad:

Marko said:
won't be long now!
the oil has cured now, all we need is some fine sanding paper to smooth it out..
one problem... aparently, all the local scouts have bought all the available fine (1000, 1500, 2000 grit) sandpaper to finish them little wooden cars  :tard: :sad1: :-\
so we are waiting for the shops to restock.

dang kids!  :icon_biggrin:

Back