chambered body neck dive?

hachikid

I'm considering building a fretless bass with a chambered body to go after the same feel I got from when I played the Fender Custom Shop Jaco tribute bass in Nashville about four years ago. the main thing I remember was how freaking light the thing was and how the harmonics just jumped off the bass. it kind of sucks to say, but to put it bluntly, that was the greatest playing bass I've ever set my hands on. I'm proud as hell of my Jag bass, but that is the only one that has me considering buying a Fender.

I'm thinking I maybe could build a Warmoth and save a bit of cash, though. I could do some other things to the Warmoth that I wouldn't be able to with the Jaco bass. if I go the chambered route, though, the one thing I kind of worry about is if it would have neck dive because the body would be so much lighter than usual. or is there a kind of neck wood that's recommended to pair up with the chambered bodies to offset the potential neck dive?

I'm just curious of other people's experience with this matter.

My experience is that neck dive has much more to do with body shape and strap button placement than with body weight. On my custom T, neck dive is definitely present but I can live with it. On the others, even a T-bird, it's hardly noticeable.

I now have a few chambered Warmoths and all have neck dive. Strap buttons on the top horn on 2 and one centerfield by neck. It is the nature of the beast I am afraid (at least for me). Completely worth it. I have a strap that is rough on the skin side. No problem at all. I've worked out my biceps :guitarplayer2:

I've built two Warmoth basses.  Both are chambered.  Both have Warmoth necks.  One is a pretty heavy bubinga/ebony standard taper.  One is a much lighter roasted maple/ebony slim taper.  Of the two I prefer the feel of the bubinga, but the weight of the roasted maple.  I think the bubinga feels smoother to me.  I'm not sure if subconsciously I'm preferring the beefier taper of the bubinga neck, but I'm not that big of a fan of its weight.  I'm going to reburnish the roasted maple when I get some down time to do it.  I ended up switching the necks around and pairing the bubinga with the heavier of the two bodies.  I am completely sold on the unfinished and burnished neck concept, now, and highly recommend it.  While I don't have concrete evidence that all roasted maple necks are lighter than other woods, that is the case for my two necks.

Back