Cat Lovers

This is SNORRE!
He is the assembly manager!

156826_10150103593545288_564445287_7846916_3095356_n.jpg

Cagey said:
He's what statisticians would call an "outlier". That is, an unusual case that doesn't/shouldn't count because it's not in the general population. A kitten that never leaves its mother is unlikely to leave kittenish behavior behind. It even happens with humans, which is part of the reason they have to put pictures of the food on Burger King and McDonald's restaurant cash registers, rather than those pesky complicated numbers.

Well, that's just brilliant, lol.  If they are separated from their mother, they suck their thumb.  If they stay with their mother, they suck their thumb.  Talk about having it both ways.  Tell me again why they don't all do it.

This goes along with what you were saying about cats being solitary hunters.  Dogs were domesticated to hunt with and for people, and why a dog may require human interaction and affection.  A shallow ego that needs reassurance.

By all accounts, cats were domesicated (laughable if you've owned one) to take care of pests, indirectly keeping away larger pests.  No mice means no snakes.  No mice means no lost grain.  It's no too far from a barn cat now.  A barn cat that is kept at arm's length, will always be there but isn't there for your affection.

My girlfriend has a cat that if you put your hand on its stomach she just howls. Like doesnt stop, its just one constant note until you take your hand of :laughing7: If done it for like 30 seconds before and she just keeps going haha.

Unfortunately, a cat at my house just recently passed. She was 13 and it was just that time, but its amazing how devastating it is to our other cat. We got her and one of her sisters, and the sister is wasting away and just stares at the spot the other cats bed was. Its very sad. They didn't even really seem to like each other that much before, but I don't know. I guess the point of my story is while cat's do have quite incredible outgoing personalities, you never know how incredible of a companion they are until they are gone.

Alas, my wife and I spent the weekend in San Diego caring for her father, whose liver is failing.  His aging cat will need a new home, because he is too frail and has too little energy to look after her any more.  We are trying to find her a home, and we are inquiring of various rescue organizations whether they can help us find her a home for the years she las left.  Regrettably, our inhospitable cats and our dog make ours an unsuitable family for Stoic to move in with.  Any of you who have any ideas or who are local to San Diego and charitably inclined toward a sweet old lady of a tabby cat can contact me via private message. 

Here also is the ad my wife has placed on craigslist:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pet/2111590972.html
My name is Zoë and I am writing on behalf of my father Leon.

Over the last several months my dad's health has taken an incredible turn for the worst, culminating in the news that he will need to have a liver transplant. I cannot adequately express how hard it is for me to write that. I never in a million years thought I would be 35 years old and seriously contemplating the death of my father. My dad and I have been engaged in the hospital shuffle. Show up at the desk and smile and be sure to say something funny, or charming, or self-deprecating. It makes it easier later on when you need to ask for a blanket because the sitting room is so cold.

In all of this shuffling about we learned that, of the many things my dad will be unable to do, he will also be unable to keep his 13 year old cat, Stoic.

Stoic is a superior cat. I gave her to my dad as gift when she was 8 weeks old, and she immediately cost him $250 in vet bills. She had various coomonplace ailments that kittens get when they are rescued from less than reputable sources. He named her Stoic because through it all she remained steadfast and loyal. He nursed her back to health and she has been a faithful companion to my dad for the last 13 years.

The bottom line is this: My dad cannot care for Stoic any more. It is our profound hope that someone will come forward and allow Stoic to live out her remaining years basking in the kind of love she has enjoyed for the first 13 years of her life.

About Stoic:

Like I said, Stoic is a superior cat! She has a little arthritis and a bit of a pot belly, but as my mom put it - join the club! Otherwise her health is stellar. She has been the queen of the roost for many years, but she seems to have mellowed with age and could probably get used to (maybe even get along with) other cats – she’s never met a dog so we have no idea what might happen. She rarely meows, and is incredibly friendly. My husband was able to clip her nails while she laid back and got scratched and loved by me. She loves to be petted and scratched around the ears. She is appreciative and enthusiastic about the human race. This cat knows where her bread is buttered, and who dishes out the Purina One. One of her most endearing behaviors is that she will stand up on her hind legs and pat your knee if she feels that too much time has elapsed since her last head scratch.

She is a truly excellent old cat and deserves to live out her life with love and dignity.

3nd3k03o85Y55Z55R1acd55bf498f3d021b13.jpg

3n73k13m55Y05P25X5acd163a72a40be419e4.jpg

It seems very likely that a lovely woman the next town over from Leon's will be adopting Stoic in the next week.  We're keeping our fingers crossed for our little old lady cat.

Thanks, all, for the kind words.

Peace

Bagman

almost killed my cat today shutting the boot on the bimmer. cat ran up and tried to jump in just as I slammed it shut. got her square in the neck, but she ran away and seems to be fine now. all my cats are really people friendly, but also really stupid. the oldest I think has some sort of mental disorder. he spends 80% of his day peeking in windows and croaking (he doesn't meow, he croaks like a frog). oh well. at least they keep the mice out of the house, and out of my '53 chev in the garage.

She used to be an in/out country cat, since we moved to town she's been stuck indoors 24/7/12. So last year I tried walking her on a leash. Now she LOVES it. In fact, today I hadn't planned to, and she begged and cried until my wife said something like "are you going to take that poor cat out for a walk?"

The house we're in now, has a natural area behind us, and she finally discovered it today. Took her back in there, (no, not the proverbial "walk in the woods") and flushed a rabbit about 10 feet away.  Hah, I know this puts me a couple decimal places into 'wierd', but she had an absolute blast, and it's fun to watch her in full 'predator' mode.

prowl.jpg

Our cat Ssanyu is a burmese and one of the smaller adult cats I've met (he's 3 yrs old in july). He likes to sleep in our bed, preferably under my covers, and talks a lot when he wants something. Sometimes he answers when we call for him! Generally he's a sweetheart but he has a thing for hunting pieces of string and biting anything thing and plastic...

img0490cv.jpg

We have some friends with a 'pocket' burmese (not official nickname, just what I call her. Pocket trumpet, Pocket Battleship. About 2/3 scale adult size)
She's adorable. She's a really really dark sable, with absolutely wild eyes. Her face looks like the 'night fury' in 'How to train your dragon'.

Burmese are the best cats extant. If I ever get another cat, that's what it'll be.

I grew up with cats my whole life and love them. Sadly, my wife is deathly allergic to them and can't be around them. I've brought up the suggestion of getting one of those hypo-allergenic cats but she is VERY skeptical. Does anybody here have one? Oh and all the cats that have been posted in this thread are very cute!!!

I realise I must sound like a first time parent, but he did something really funny last night. Usually a couple of minutes after I've turned out the light he'll come over to me and poke me in the general shoulder area to make me lift the cover for him, but last night he poked me on the nose! I almost started laughing out loud :toothy12: At first I thought he just missed the regular spot, but he kept on doing it until I did what he wanted. Cats are hilarious!

Ok, I give in. Here are my cats. The strange white and brown one is Tom. well . . . was tom. Mom was backing out of the garage one day, when *bump* she flattened him to a pancake. And as nobody was home, she had to bury him herself. I know I shouldn't find it funny, but I do, because she left over five messages an my dad's phone that day, and she was blubbering so much he couldn't understand what she was saying and thought one of us kids must have died. The black and white one is Lucky, because, well . . . he got lucky. He ran off right when we got him (still a young kitten). We live in the woods, so owls, cyotes, raccoons, you name it are all over the place. we pretty much chalked him up for dead, but he showed up a week later and hasn't left since.

There are two middle cats (not pictured), Lucy (the most awesome one . . . great mouser and very fond of people), and Linus (yes, Linus and Lucy the Peanuts characters. Linus is likely the dumbest cat on the face of the planet, seeing as Tom succeeded in getting himself run over. Linus' day consists of circling the house, going window to window, and meowing at each for an hour and a half. They are all outdoor cats, but he has it in his head that he deserves to be inside.)

The most recent addition one is Maya (who also has a sister, Inga). Maya is a great cat, very much like Lucy, and Inga is too, although she is very tightly wound and spooks easily. They hang out a lot, and all of them hang with the dog, Roscoe, who really is as big as he looks, weighing in ad over 140lbs.

Attachments

• 27026_117561871590722_100000107287010_280426_5803594_n.jpg
    27026_117561871590722_100000107287010_280426_5803594_n.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 40779_155923424421233_100000107287010_499280_2125426_n.jpg
    40779_155923424421233_100000107287010_499280_2125426_n.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 27026_117557408257835_100000107287010_280340_389331_n.jpg
    27026_117557408257835_100000107287010_280340_389331_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 230
A blue jay just moved into the neighborhood. Here's Lilly dealing (or not) with the bird. Usually she kills them. This time, I think the bird has called her bluff.
Look at Lilly's guitar pick collar ornament! Love it, my wife picked it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_F28AUBBo

That calico she can be affectionate on her own terms but generally doesn't want to be picked up unless its her idea. One spring I looked out in the back yard and counted at least 50 robins. I grab the cat, crack open the blinds, and stuck her on the back of the chair so she can see.  She's kinda miffed for being picked up and she wheels around to get back down when she sees the yard slap full of robins. She did the old whiplash double take, and opened her mouth to meow but nothing came out.

I got an aquarium once really to entertain her. When I finally put fish in it she jumps on the stool next to it and _WAGS_ her tail like a dog. Never seen a cats tail move like that before. One day I'll have a 'Koi' pond stocked with feeder gold fish. Open sushi bar!

swarfrat said:
She's kinda miffed for being picked up and she wheels around to get back down when she sees the yard slap full of robins. She did the old whiplash double take, and opened her mouth to meow but nothing came out.

It's a cat's form of cussing. She's expressing frustration. Usually when cats hunt, they're as quiet as they can be. But, if they see something within striking range that they seriously want to capture but can't, they make this low-volume chittering/chirping noise, sometimes almost inaudibly. Looks like they're trying to meow, but little or nothing comes out.

Back