Case question: Which SKB for a 24.75" scale Strat/Tele?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteve22

So, my short scale Tele build is slowly chugging along. Got the headstock painted, the decal in place, and the neck lacquered. (Pictures soon.) Next is the fret work after it finishes drying, (been sitting about two weeks now, so I'll get started on that soon enough). Doug has the bridge, control plate, and neck plate order, (No rush on my end, like I said, still working on the neck). And, nearly everything else is sitting there, waiting for me to get off my butt and get to it.

My question now is regarding a proper fitting case for my new baby. I have a G&G Fender case for my Strat, also short scale, and the Tele fits into it nicely:
gTdmDna.jpg

I thought about another G&G, but because both the Strat and Tele will fit the same case, I like the idea of a molded case that can do dual duty as a travel case for both. The SKB I got for my Jazzmaster is great, so I'm thinking another would work out nicely. My concern is the fit with the short scale neck.

My first choice would be the 1SKB-66Pro case:
sku_view_image.php

That's a full scale American Strat shown in the case, and as you can see, the headstock look like it almost touches the neck support. I'm thinking a shorter scale neck might not fit.

Next up is the 1SKB-66, "Universal" case:
sku_view_image.php

The overall internal dimensions are a little oversized, and there seems to be plenty of room in the headstock area to accommodate a shorter scale. Unfortunately, the fit of the body looks to be a little sloppy due to the "universal" fit. This case is most like my JM case, but the JM case is an exact fit with no wiggle room in the body section.

Last case is the 1SKB-FS-6:
sku_view_image.php

It looks like it might be the best fit, but I was sort of leaning towards a rectangular design for the looks and the larger accessory compartment.

Anyone have experience with any of these cases and a short scale Strat/Tele? Any insights, observations, comments, or jokes at my expense, will be appreciated.

For a while, I was buying this universal case...

FCST_04.jpg

...which worked well enough for most of my guitars, and at $99 was easy to take. Lotta case for that money. Problem with them is they're kinda heavy at ~20lbs. By the time you put a guitar and whatnot in there, you were around 30lbs. Not a backbreaker, but not something you wanna carry very far or very often. Also, some of the guitars were kinda swimming in there. Wanted something that hugged the instrument a little better.

So, as I sold off guitars I included the heavy case, and as I built more, I started buying the 1SKB-66Pro. I have a mix of necks on my guitars, probably about half and half short and long scale, and I don't recall ever having any issues with any of them fitting that case. Unsurprising, as there's only 3/4" difference between the necks. Plus, it's a surpisingly light/strong case. I trust 'em. I don't have access to them at the moment, or I'd take some pics for you (everything's in storage wihle I'm in the process of moving.)

Yeah, I've seen those GFS cases, and I agree, a lot of case for the money. If I was shipping one, or flying all the time, that would be the way to go. Although, at 30#, could I afford to fly with it all the time?  :icon_scratch:

Anyway, good to hear that the short scale fits well in the 1SKB-66Pro. I'm not too concerned with the cost, but fit is really important to me. Thanks.

Actually, I think I might feel better with the SKB shipping with a guitar in it. Being lighter, it's less likely to get heaved around (that might be wishful thinking on my part) and the guitar itself is held in place better. WIth the other, it's kinda like being in a car accident without a seatbelt. Car stops, but your body keeps going at the same speed until it hits an immovable object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back